727 ASSEMBLY GREASE QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Asking any transmission gurus what they would suggest to use as assembly grease for a 1971 SB 727. Tom's book says to use sonnax slippery stick, but Im not sure it is available in my area. Any other suggestions?

Anyone have any links to a master rebuild kit? Looking for a good quality (last a lifetime of cruising) extensive kit........It's going to be behind a mild built 340 with 3.23's and a 2500 stall using type F. :)

Thanks

If none of the parts stores have any transmission assembly grease you can use Vaseline. I have used it for years with no problem at all.

Behind a mild 340 stock parts would be fine. That 727 is overkill for a 340 really. But a damn good transmission.

I use this stuff. Only done a few car transmissions with it but great for heavier duty hydraulic applications as well. It’s awesome for seals and O rings. I’m sure Amazon has it but I get mine at WIT transmission storefronts.

B9069B6C-BD5B-42CD-8FB1-FA2226D41C46.jpeg

Assemble` (assembly) Goo.
It's good stuff. The green stuff is heavier than the blue....most items needing lube will need the blue.

Vasoline works fine. What you're after is something that lubricates right off the bat until it gets hot and then the assembly lube will dissolve. Vasoline does just that. It will also hang out as long as you need until you're ready to use the transmission.

I just use a generic tub of Vaseline... The standard rebuild will be more than sufficient for that. I always put in a transgo two shift kit while I'm in there... The third photo can clearly see the jar of Vaseline.. LOL this works fine behind the stroker in my power wagon..

PXL_20211008_201226344.jpg

PXL_20211007_192215555.jpg

PXL_20211007_175127568.jpg

PXL_20211008_201151377.jpg

PXL_20211009_010614373.jpg

PXL_20211007_220619260.jpg

Purchasing Vaseline: Do you go out and buy only the tub of Vaseline yourself, throw it on the conveyor confidently or do you have the wife throw it in amongst her groceries at check out? Inquiring minds want to know.:D

^^Might be a reason your avatar resembles John the animal Belushi^^

Hey don't forget to knock the reverse pin out of the case and replaced the two orings never mind you have a book good luck.

Purchasing Vaseline: Do you go out and buy only the tub of Vaseline yourself, throw it on the conveyor confidently or do you have the wife throw it in amongst her groceries at check out? Inquiring minds want to know.:D
Never buy a large generic jar of Vaseline by itself, always add a box of condoms and a large bottle of cheap wine... :thumbsup:

I always buy Vasoline and knee pads together. Makes people wonder. lol

How you purchase (or don't purchase) Vaseline, or say KY Jelly, Preparation H or even a plunger aside........regarding transmission assembly lube I like Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease especially since I already have it. Stays put during assembly and it's red. Put that **** on everything. No issues with use.

9E2FEA3F-3550-49E8-B67B-F0F47E25ABE3.jpeg

I like the idea of the Vaseline getting warm and dissolving away quickly when the transmission fluid hits it...

I use whatever holds the stuff together so they don't fall out of place during assembly. It ain't picky. Dark grease just stains everything. I like the red cuz it doesn't hafta stop and change color when it mixes with trans fluid...

I use whatever holds the stuff together so they don't fall out of place during assembly. It ain't picky. Dark grease just stains everything. I like the red cuz it doesn't hafta stop and change color when it mixes with trans fluid...
My main concern is what is chemically compatible with Type F transmission fluid.

My concern becomes with the high temperature greases that won't melt out of the way of the transmission fluid that really needs to be in there. I like that the Vaseline once it gets any kind of warm just dissolves and certainly won't change the color of the red fluid which really doesn't bother me what color it is as long as it's not burnt...
To me really the lubricant is more just to make sure that when you putting the lip seals in that they slide on and slide in easily. You're likely to fill it most of the way up with transmission fluid and definitely put a quart in the torque converter before you ever even start it "IN NUTRAL". After you shifted into each gear the entire transmission is full of lubricant...

Lubriplate is what I use.
Everyone should have a tube or tub in their toolbox.
It's good stuff.

I've never used Vaseline, never had a problem getting natural lube. lol

My concern becomes with the high temperature greases that won't melt out of the way of the transmission fluid that really needs to be in there. I like that the Vaseline once it gets any kind of warm just dissolves and certainly won't change the color of the red fluid which really doesn't bother me what color it is as long as it's not burnt...
To me really the lubricant is more just to make sure that when you putting the lip seals in that they slide on and slide in easily. You're likely to fill it most of the way up with transmission fluid and definitely put a quart in the torque converter before you ever even start it "IN NUTRAL". After you shifted into each gear the entire transmission is full of lubricant...
Exactly on the red and tacky vs vaseline.
At normal running temps of a trans I doubt the r&t ever dissolves.
It’s great for suspension parts and wheel bearings though.

Sorry. By all means use what makes you feel at ease, what you think makes sense, or what you know is good from experience. Nobody telling you not to. Some of this is a whole lot of nothing but theory, doubts/concerns fears regarding a grease such as red n tacky or something similar. I've done enough trans rebuilds, done partial opening up of transmissions for pump removal for new bushing/seal replacements during converter swaps etc etc using red n tacky. I’ve used other red lithium types as well. No issues. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
CFD, that Sonnax material is good for lip seals but any of the trans gels will function fine. Lots of goodt suggestions from others (other than the knee pad one) and many greases will do great. But, if you are working on the floor, maybe the knee pads are a good idea too. :):)

Last edited:
I'll stick with suggestions of the ex transmission shop supervisor..... To each their own...

-
Back