727 Help Please

-

Illahe

Mopower
Reaction score
Okay, gentlemen,

Fresh Build. 727 Turbo action RVMB. Pulled the car out this morning for a test and tune. 4700 stall engaged fine. Rolled out and lost power transmission. Pulled the dipstick and the transmission is filling with return fluid and not engaging. Pump failure?

Who rebuilt it??...
Sound like low fluid..
I rebuilt it. The fluid level was checked several times after the transmission was cycled through the gears. After the car was moved the trans was over full and lost engagement. I'm wondering if the pump too a s**t.

I assume you put a court and the torque converter and poured about a gallon in the transmission. And started it in neutral and continued filling from there?..

I assume you put a court and the torque converter and poured about a gallon in the transmission. And started it in neutral and continued filling from there?..
Yes. The converter was filled and the transmission was topped off several times.

Those pumps seem hard to mess up...
How many of these 727's have you rebuilt?..
Maybe something wrong in the valve body?..
I put a check ball in the wrong place and completely lost reverse and everything else was perfect... tossed out the little check ball and all was well...

Those pumps seem hard to mess up...
How many of these 727's have you rebuilt?..
Maybe something wrong in the valve body?..
I put a check ball in the wrong place and completely lost reverse and everything else was perfect... tossed out the little check ball and all was well...
Thanks for the response. The valve body was purchased from Turbo Action in Fl. This is my first 727 build. The local shop walked me through the build. everything air checked okay. I'm wondering if I toasted something as the unit was fired up in park until I got the Fresh engine timed and high idling correctly. Several minutes of run time.

Thanks for the response. The valve body was purchased from Turbo Action in Fl. This is my first 727 build. The local shop walked me through the build. everything air checked okay. I'm wondering if I toasted something as the unit was fired up in park until I got the Fresh engine timed and high idling correctly. Several minutes of run time.
That's what I usually put a friend on (transmission oil..) at break in and my wife starts and gives a constant reading on the gauges...
Stuff happens... the ugly part of hot rodin...

Sounds like the drive lugs on the pump gears broke off.
That NEVER happens! (Sarcasm) Happened after my burnout. Rolled forward in second after heating up the tires. Stopped and dropped to 1st to roll towards the lights and nothing but a box of neutrals. Towed back to the pits and removed a cooler line and no flow. TCS makes a pump gear.

That NEVER happens! (Sarcasm) Happened after my burnout. Rolled forward in second after heating up the tires. Stopped and dropped to 1st to roll towards the lights and nothing but a box of neutrals. Towed back to the pits and removed a cooler line and no flow. TCS makes a pump gear.

Yep it happens often. The wide lug pump gears I buy from A&A also come with a calico coating on them which is a nice touch. Very nice gears and 100% worth the $250.

That ^^^^^

Sounds like the drive lugs on the pump gears broke off.
IMG_1431.jpg

Getting ready to pull the unit. This is the content of the pan. The T/V cycles so it seems that would be eliminated from the list of possibilities. Now to the pump.

does it move in reverse? If the strut came out it would still move, just the sprag would take all the power, no? Assuming it is a low band apply vb.

does it move in reverse? If the strut came out it would still move, just the sprag would take all the power, no? Assuming it is a low band apply vb.

If the strut fell out, the car would still move forward in first gear. Even if it was low band apply. But it sounds like it’s an automatic shift valve body, which does not apply the low/reverse band unless in manual low. Either way he has no reverse or forward gears.

It’s a neutral box.

Check lugs on front pump, I had them sheer off before, but that pump had 25 or so years of hard drag racing on it before that.

-
Back