727 Issues 6 months after Build

-

IRISH RT

Reaction score
Lost second gear flares all the time nobody home in 2nd Pulled pan Found a grey paste running through fluid and some shavings stuck to magnet , also did air test and found front band not clamping with force , Decided to pull trans as It had Front seal leak , pulled pump front drums etc got to the rear drum and found where the grey paste was coming from inner of the rear drum that rotates on the main shaft ,

I am thinking its band adjustment or lack of it have caused these problems

Any Help appreciated Thanks

Last edited:
20181113_185334.jpg
20181113_114253.jpg
Lost second gear flares all the time nobody home in 2nd Pulled pan Found a grey paste running through fluid and some shavings stuck to magnet , also did air test and found front band not clamping with force , Decided to pull trans as It had Front seal leak , pulled pump front drums etc got to the rear drum and found where the grey paste was coming from inner of the rear drum that rotates on the main shaft ,

I am thinking its band adjustment or lack of it have caused these problems

Any Help appreciated Thanks
20181113_185334.jpg
20181113_114253.jpg

That front band got really hot. There's kevlar on ebay pretty cheap. What are the clutches like? Check clearance before you remove from drum. Any delay in the reverse engagement?

That front band got really hot. There's kevlar on ebay pretty cheap. What are the clutches like? Check clearance before you remove from drum. Any delay in the reverse engagement?
Some of the clutches are half worn but otherwise good no signs of heat etc steels are also fine thanks for your replying

In your first pic, the inner diameter of the rear drum is severely scored. That rides on the governor support. Looks like lack of lube. I would look at the support and replace as necessary. Figure out why it scored first, then replace. That is probably the source of your "grey paste". Bunches of aluminum.

Last edited:
In your first pic, the inner diameter of the rear drum is severely scored. That rides on the governor support. Looks like lack of lube. I would look at the support and replace as necessary. Figure out why it scored first, then replace. That is probably the source of your "grey paste". Bunches of aluminum.
That rear Drum has two 12 mm Holes drilled through it will add pic later

...Good catch!

I'm already assuming here but I'm thinking you put a shift kit in when you rebuilt it? The reason I'm asking is because if it was rebuilt six months ago I don't think the other clutches should also be "half worn out already?" this is why I was wondering about the shift kit and your pressure valve adjustment? If they asked in the instructions for you to turn up the pressure? And obviously a good (kick down) pressure valve adjustment to your carburetor is Paramount with these Transmissions?

-
Back