727 shift kit?

-

schmitt

Reaction score
I have my 727 out right now and was going to adjust the bands. Got to thinking I should maybe install a transgo tf2 right away. Tranny seems to shift good already though, is there any way of telling if it already had some type of shift kit installed at some point?

Also do they sell new shift shafts? Mine always leaks through the case seal. I see it has exsesive play in the valve body support.

Tried posting a video of the shift shaft play but it won't alow me too

They do sell shafts but the play is probably in the aluminum of the case or valve body and not actually the steel shaft.
If it's a little sloppy while in the case then it's possible the case is the problem.(depends on definition of sloppy)
They also have a "shaft saver" seal that rides on a different spot on the shaft to solve shaft groove issue's.

The TF2 kit is a personal choice, unless you are putting out more than stock Hp numbers.
Shift kits can shorten the time it takes to apply clutches and other friction surfaces and lengthen the lifetime of a trans.
If over done it can also unnecessarily increase stress on parts like planetary gear sets, sun gear shell and shaft splines.

They do sell shafts but the play is probably in the aluminum of the case or valve body and not actually the steel shaft.
If it's a little sloppy while in the case then it's possible the case is the problem.(depends on definition of sloppy)
They also have a "shaft saver" seal that rides on a different spot on the shaft to solve shaft groove issue's.

The TF2 kit is a personal choice, unless you are putting out more than stock Hp numbers.
Shift kits can shorten the time it takes to apply clutches and other friction surfaces and lengthen the lifetime of a trans.
If over done it can also unnecessarily increase stress on parts like planetary gear sets, sun gear shell and shaft splines.

It is very sloppy in the valve body support. I'm already using a extra tall seal to move the sealing surface on the shaft. Also machined the shaft smooth (pat Blais) So the play is either valve body or worn lower part of the shaft.

I'm making 420hp (crank) just got a custom built Frank lupo dynamic converter as well. Always seemed to shift well hence my question about checking if a kit was already installed in this trans.

Anyone have comparison?

IMG_4157.JPG

It is very sloppy in the valve body support. I'm already using a extra tall seal to move the sealing surface on the shaft. Also machined the shaft smooth (pat Blais) So the play is either valve body or worn lower part of the shaft.

I'm making 420hp (crank) just got a custom built Frank lupo dynamic converter as well. Always seemed to shift well hence my question about checking if a kit was already installed in this trans.

Well then, I guess you will just have to go with what you feel is best on the shaft problem then.
Stock valve bodies can be gotten pretty cheap and easy, but the case is supposed to support that. (unless the case is egged out)
It's normal for the VB end to be somewhat sloppy IIRC.

On the shift kit part:
If it has that HP numbers and a converter one would hope it already has a kit, but the only easy way to tell is if the separator plate is a non OE color (like goldish or red) or it has a non stock manual valve.
On the replacement manual valves in some kits they don't have a gap between the valve and the valve body metal when in park, whereas the stock valve has a gap. (pic below)
Other than that you pretty much have to tear it open to see you can tell if mods have been made.

A missing spring out of, or a blocked accumulator might be a clue, as would any orifice plug in the accumulator oil ports or case ports.

vb.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the only thing I haven't built is the trans so I don't really know what I have. Besides the converter I just had built.

Some pics. Valve looks different in park?

IMG_4159.JPG

if pat Blais did the trans, he probably raised the line pressure, at least. He was never a big proponent of shift kits, but maybe he's changed. I haven't seen him in years.
Now, I don't KNOW if this is possible, but they make these thin wall shim sleeves to restore seal areas for dampeners, and axles, and such. Maybe they make one for your situation, it's worth checking into.

if pat Blais did the trans, he probably raised the line pressure, at least. He was never a big proponent of shift kits, but maybe he's changed. I haven't seen him in years.
Now, I don't KNOW if this is possible, but they make these thin wall shim sleeves to restore seal areas for dampeners, and axles, and such. Maybe they make one for your situation, it's worth checking into.

Pat just machined down the shaft for me and re pressed the shaft into the rooster being it had some play.

Yeah the only thing I haven't built is the trans so I don't really know what I have. Besides the converter I just had built.

Some pics. Valve looks different in park?

View attachment 1715003486

The first land on the manual valve that you see in my picture has a gap between it and the valve body metal and the modded valves don't.

That looks like an OE plate on the VB, but it could have been modded inside by drilling the holes bigger.
Might have to split that VB and measure the holes to be sure.

You might find the directions for the TF2 kit online (it's there) and see if any of the mods they tell you to do in the kit have been done.
I don't see any indications on the outside of it.

Guessing I'm stock. I do have the gap.

Does anyone sell a complete performance valve body being mine might be wore where the manual shaft goes in anyway.

IMG_4163.JPG

Would going to a turbo action cheeta valve body be the way to go? Get the performance I need. Un worn valve body and looks like new manual lever as well?

^^ I really am a novice when it comes to trans. I have a Lokar shifter

I just want to do it right and get rid of my worn parts.

I just ordered a new VB from turbo action today. Thanks all

-
Back