727 trans no accumulator?

-

alyak

Reaction score
I opened up my 727 trans to install a shift kit in it and found no accumulator spring or accumulator. This is how it looked when I pulled the valve body away. Also, I cannot seem to get the rod in the last photo out. Is there some sort of trick to it?

IMG_1996.jpeg

IMG_1997.jpeg

IMG_1998.jpeg

The rod in the last photo is the park engagement rod. Turn the tail shaft a little and it will fall right out. As far as no accumulator, was this supposed to be a working trans? I can't hardly think it was.

“Fully rebuilt” I was told. Can I use the accumulator out of a 904

usually when no accumulator like in the pic, it already has a shift kit/trans brake/manual vb. we leave ours out in race only apps. some shift kits tell you to put it in, use/make a blocker rod. you need to do further investigation.

I have it apart in front of me. I am going to check it next to the instructions for the kit and see if it has already been done. So, just to clarify, it will work without the accumulator?

This plate does not match up with the photo on the instructions, though. Right off the bat I noticed the bottom section and where “R” is. But if you look at all of the holes the instructions says to drill it doesn’t seem like my plate has any of them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is there any engraving or numbers stamped on that separator plate? Or the top plate of the valve body? The factory separator plates were natural steel. That gold anodizeing is typically aftermarket.

usually when no accumulator like in the pic, it already has a shift kit/trans brake/manual vb. we leave ours out in race only apps. some shift kits tell you to put it in, use/make a blocker rod. you need to do further investigation.
Manual VB yes, just a shift kit? Never that I've seen... Manual VB you can eliminate the governor & assorted other parts...

Taking a accumulator out of a fully automatic 727 allows fluid to bleed from one circuit to another..

I no longer have my fluid charts so these came from online... But it shows two gears one has fluid on both sides of the accumulator, the other only has fluid on one side... (Accumulator is on the center right of each chart) If the fluid can travel back through the accumulator two gears can apply at the same time... Bad juju...

IMG_8188.jpg

Is there any engraving or numbers stamped on that separator plate? Or the top plate of the valve body? The factory separator plates were natural steel. That gold anodizeing is typically aftermarket.
Separator plate has 1000042-06. I have to open the valve body back up to see if it has a number

Sorry. 408 swinger is correct. That is an aftermarket separator plate. It may not be the same brand of kit that you bought but it is aftermarket.

B&M comes to mind of companies that sell separator plates as part of a "shift kit". I tried one once waaay back in the day with terrible results.

I have a Griner trans brake valve body,that does not have an accumulator piston in the trans, and a A&A and a CRT trans brake valve bodies that have the accumulator piston blocked. So I would try to identify the valve body

Is there a way for me to tell if this is a manual valve body? I am having trouble finding information on valve body identification online.
I have a Griner trans brake valve body,that does not have an accumulator piston in the trans, and a A&A and a CRT trans brake valve bodies that have the accumulator piston blocked. So I would try to identify the valve body

Is there a way for me to tell if this is a manual valve body? I am having trouble finding information on valve body identification online.

this is what a manual valve body looks like. I can believe that your trans was a working one as is. Even in my full manual reverse valve body TCI trans is has the accumulator piston in place, just no spring or small seal.

my trans is new (and I also just paid a pro builder to go through and verify it, add springs to the clutch, change the apply lever, and add a restrictor to it) and am contemplating selling it for $1500 if you’re interested. TCI part number #112100.

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

this is what a manual valve body looks like. I can believe that your trans was a working one as is. Even in my full manual reverse valve body TCI trans is has the accumulator piston in place, just no spring or small seal.

my trans is new (and I also just paid a pro builder to go through and verify it, add springs to the clutch, change the apply lever, and add a restrictor to it) and am contemplating selling it for $1500 if you’re interested. TCI part number #112100.

View attachment 1716122601

View attachment 1716122602

View attachment 1716122603
No, thank you. I think I am just going to buy a new accumulator and install it, see if the transmission works.

From the department of oversight committee…. Griner brake on the L required no accumulator. Pro Trans one on the right requires accumulator. I can attest you will burn stuff up in short order making that error. Accumulator and blocker will always be the “safe” way on a race oriented trans.

IMG_8288.jpeg

From the department of oversight committee…. Griner brake on the L required no accumulator. Pro Trans one on the right requires accumulator. I can attest you will burn stuff up in short order making that error. Accumulator and blocker will always be the “safe” way on a race oriented trans.

View attachment 1716122924
Thank you, I ordered an accumulator. Do I need to leave both springs out or just the one that presses against the valve body?

Thank you, I ordered an accumulator. Do I need to leave both springs out or just the one that presses against the valve body?
Leave both out. Cut a piece of whatever, steel rid, aluminum rod, 1/2 inch brake line.. Whatever. Cut your preferred piece of material about 2 7/8 inch long and insert into accumulator. Then insert into appropriate orifice.

As 408 Swinger said…… just look up accumulator blocking rod. You’ll get the idea….. but now I’m curious. Did they put a plug in the accumulator passage? I’ve heard of that being done, but D ring seals and a blocker rod will suffice.
hopefully you ordered the metal accumulator not the plastic.

As 408 Swinger said…… just look up accumulator blocking rod. You’ll get the idea….. but now I’m curious. Did they put a plug in the accumulator passage? I’ve heard of that being done, but D ring seals and a blocker rod will suffice.
hopefully you ordered the metal accumulator not the plastic.

Yes, I ordered a metal accumulator. I was looking in there to see if they plugged it, but I am unsure because I have no frame of reference as to what it is supposed to look like in there and it is difficult to find photos of the hole without the accumulator in it. I am posting a better photo of it., maybe you will be able to tell me if it is blocked. I don’t think it is, there is a piece of metal back there but if you look in the top right of the hole you can see the metal does not completely cover it. If they did plug it, they did not do a good job.

image.jpg

-
Back