727 yoke seal leak

-

70runner

Reaction score
Drip from spot shown below. Rebuilt 727 with new bushing, new yoke seal. Original yoke looks ok, shaft measures about 1.685 vs spec of 1.6875. Slight rear shaft side to side movement.

Also, engine w/727 was broken in on test stand, using yoke wired to prevent movement. No leaking observed during breakin.

Try new yoke, new seal, ???

Attachments

• location.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 167
  • yoke2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 228
If it's leaking where you have the arrow, I'd say there is a crack or porosity in the case. If it's just leaking back from the seal area, it could be between the seal and housing or seal and yoke. That yoke doesn't look all that great to me.....kinda groovy and not in a good way!

I would think you probably just knocked the tension spring off the seal when you installed the yoke. I would pop a new seal in but before you do put a little petroleum jelly or trans. assy. gel around the tension spring. Sometimes they just catch and flip off the lip of the seal.

Thx guys. I replaced the seal. The old seal still had the spring in it. I used a little black permatex between the seal and case. No cracks in the case that I can see.

If it still leaks I'll try a new yoke. Any suggestions for where to buy?

Here's a pic:
side_best_red-1.jpg

-
Back