'73 Duster-- 6.4 Hemi, Megasquirt, Tremec 5 Speed

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
Here is what I started with about 5 1/2 years ago. 1973 Duster 225supersix/904/7.25" It was sold to me as a solid, rust free southern car.
c7_3.jpg

a2_3.jpg

2d_3.jpg

After I bought it I got it running and driving and stopping with the running gear it came with and drove it that was for a few months, then went to a 318/833OD/8.25"
ebay048.jpg

ebay046.jpg

I drove it like that for a few more months and decided I wanted to give it a quick paint job and turn it red. Over four years later and getting put on the back burner several times it's snowballed into a full scale project.

I tore the whole car apart and stripped the exterior with a paint eater disc. That's when my "rust free" car started looking ugly. Obviously, it's not as bad as what you guys up north have to deal with, but it's not what I thought I was getting into. It needed all the floor pans, both trunk extensions, a tail panel, both of the sail panels were rusted through where the vinyl top was and also in the lowers behind the wheel, patch the rocker on the right side, rust through and thin spots on the roof from the vinyl top, hole under the battery tray, etc.
While I was at it I found a good deal on a '72 Dart front end, and a hood from another member here.
I had the jambs and underhood sand blasted by a buddy and primed with SPI epoxy.
So far the only work that I haven't done myself is the patch on the sail panel.
-Jon
100_0823.jpg

100_2179.jpg

100_2222.jpg

100_2337.jpg

100_2339.jpg

100_2350.jpg

100_2387.jpg

Within the past two weeks now I've finished welding the tail panel and the quarter, and the lower quarter patch on the left side. I've also finished welding and seam sealing the full AMD floor and welding the subframe connectors in.
The full quarter required a vertical cut the length of the door jamb to get the door gap the right size, but it fit very well otherwise.
-Jon
IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

Did you remove the rain gutter above the doors? Do have an idea or pictures of how it looks all back together? I've been pondering shaving mine off but I'm worried the stainless and rubber will stick out too far.

Riddler

I own an auto repair business and about 6 months ago I was fortunate enough to move to a shop big enough to bring the Duster over and keep it there, so I've been making a little more progress lately.
I've test fit the mock up long block in the hole, and just finished building the real motor a few weeks ago.
It's a 5.7 stroked and .020 or .030 over to end up at 396cui. K1 crank and rods, Wiseco 11:1 pistons, 5 angle valve job, etc. The head work and blue printing was done by Glenn Smith Racing and myself.
So far I have an intake from a '09 eagle and a 90mm LS throttle body. The engine management will be megasquirt MS3 sequential if I can get the body work finished.
That's about as far as I've gotten now. I have a classic auto air under dash unit, BMW E46 power seats, flaming river column, TK0500, hydraulic clutch, wilwood pedals and masters, but I have allot of priming and blocking to do first.
-Jon
100_2363.jpg

Did you remove the rain gutter above the doors? Do have an idea or pictures of how it looks all back together? I've been pondering shaving mine off but I'm worried the stainless and rubber will stick out too far.

Riddler

I have the drip rail cut off of the passenger side so far, but I haven't brought the trim back over to the shop to see what it looks like together.
-Jon

Any recommendations for engine color in a bright red engine bay? I was thinking the orange that the newer SRT motors are painted, but was also thinking black goes with everything.
Thanks,
Jon

Here's a picture of the finished floor.
I've been working on getting some of the holes welded up in the engine bay and fixing some more rust.
-Jon
IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

The 2009 and newer 5.7 motors with the variable valve timing are called Eagles. The intake is supposed to flow +/- the same as the 6.1 intake that costs allot more money.

The front end is from Blue Moon Motorsports.
www.freakride.com

-Jon

Not to mention the Eagle intake is plastic, so it stays a lot cooler than the aluminum 6.1 intake.

Awesome car! Keep the pics coming.

I had filled some rust pits on the roof with some fibertech filler. We had a little bit of weather warm enough to spray epoxy so I got a coat on the roof. Started a little bit of blocking on the body too.
-Jon
IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

Your doing very nice work, good job on the quarter panel,i also like how your smoothing the engine bay.Also why did you change over to the demon tail panel.

-
Back