73 Duster build named Fred

-
Sorry about coming late to the party, but wanted to contribute my 904 story in case you have not committed to a trans yet. I got a NEW 904 (actually a newer 1976 version) core from a friend and had it built for my 408 stroker combo. It had the 2.76 low gear set, and a modified valve body, still forward pattern, with down shift, built by Chuck Lofgren. Full throttle shifts were set at 5800 and it worked like a dream behind that 408 with 518 tq at 4500 rpm, and 503 hp at 5700. A ten inch converter from A&A stalled to 4,000 rpm, yet would cruise at 2900 rpm at 70 mph with 3.55 gears out back . A converter like that one is as loose as i would ever use for a car weighing 3400 lbs that i want to get on the highway with. The newer version of the 904, I believe about 1975 and up, can be built pretty strong. The guts are used in Superstock
426 Hemi cars.
The smaller trans is worth about 20 hp? Plus you get a wide ratio set, 276,154, 1 final so you don't have ro run as deep a gear to get a reasonable 60 ft time.

Sorry about coming late to the party, but wanted to contribute my 904 story in case you have not committed to a trans yet. I got a NEW 904 (actually a newer 1976 version) core from a friend and had it built for my 408 stroker combo. It had the 2.76 low gear set, and a modified valve body, still forward pattern, with down shift, built by Chuck Lofgren. Full throttle shifts were set at 5800 and it worked like a dream behind that 408 with 518 tq at 4500 rpm, and 503 hp at 5700. A ten inch converter from A&A stalled to 4,000 rpm, yet would cruise at 2900 rpm at 70 mph with 3.55 gears out back . A converter like that one is as loose as i would ever use for a car weighing 3400 lbs that i want to get on the highway with. The newer version of the 904, I believe about 1975 and up, can be built pretty strong. The guts are used in Superstock
426 Hemi cars.
The smaller trans is worth about 20 hp? Plus you get a wide ratio set, 276,154, 1 final so you don't have ro run as deep a gear to get a reasonable 60 ft time.
Yeah, you’re a little late to the party…. lol. The car was finished in December, ran at the track in January and is currently getting some upgrades. I went with a built 727 with RMVB and an 8” PTC that stalls at 5800. It’s a track only car and the only other transmission I would consider running is a powerglide that I recently had built and will probably get installed next season.

Yeah, you’re a little late to the party…. lol. The car was finished in December, ran at the track in January and is currently getting some upgrades. I went with a built 727 with RMVB and an 8” PTC that stalls at 5800. It’s a track only car and the only other transmission I would consider running is a powerglide that I recently had built and will probably get installed next season.
Pop up toaster

I was hoping it was in the form of the winning MegaMillions or PowerBall ticket. I got real close to winning the Mega this last round. Just needed 5 more numbers to match. lol
I won $2.00 this morning, I reupped on the 1.1 billion drawing

I was hoping it was in the form of the winning MegaMillions or PowerBall ticket. I got real close to winning the Mega this last round. Just needed 5 more numbers to match. lol

I don’t play so I have no hope of ever having big money. Unless girls start paying me not to have sex with them.

Bill, John needs a shirt that says
Pay me to do you....baby !!!
(Don't wear it to church)

Can’t wait to hear the track results from the head porting Bill. I’m sure it’s gonna wake it up. Fingers crossed. Im just happy you’re sticking with the 3 speed this year and getting the car dialed in the way you want before making the change to the PG next season. I think that’s a smart way to go. And you’ll be able to make a solid comparison.

Can’t wait to hear the track results from the head porting Bill. I’m sure it’s gonna wake it up. Fingers crossed. Im just happy you’re sticking with the 3 speed this year and getting the car dialed in the way you want before making the change to the PG next season. I think that’s a smart way to go. And you’ll be able to make a solid comparison.
Bill wants to wheelie like your demon.

Got the heads and intake back from CFM Performance, took a few pics and got after it. Having worked all day, I quickly ran out of steam once I got them torqued…. lol. I’ll finish it tomorrow and fire it up.

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the heads and intake back from CFM Performance, took a few pics and got after it. Having worked all day, I quickly ran out of steam once I got them torqued…. lol. I’ll finish it tomorrow and fire it up.

View attachment 1716228902

View attachment 1716228903

View attachment 1716228904

View attachment 1716228905

View attachment 1716228907

View attachment 1716228906

View attachment 1716228908

View attachment 1716228909

View attachment 1716228910
There's more room between the valves than I expected. How did the ports line up ?

-
Back