73 duster wont crank

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
hi everyone i have a 73 duster and i redid the exhaust and intake manifold and rewired the light switch and windshield wiper switch and when i went to start it it didn't even crank at all. so i replaced the starter relay even though it was only a month old with maybe 5 hours on it and i replaced the neutral safety switch. does anyone know how i can fix this? when first tried to start it it would like kind of bang like it was the starter and one time it clicked rapidly like it was from the starter. also all the connections are good and i'm able to jump the starter.

Sounds like your neutral safety is not right.

You can disconnect the dark brown wire connector at the starter relay, make up a short wire and ground that lug from the starter relay to the starter relay mounting bolt to bypass the neutral safety. If it turns over with the key, you found your problem!

Find the G terminal on the Starter Relay Switch.....run a jumper wire from ground to this terminal...

if it cranks....then something between that G and the Neutral Safety Switch is not connected.

its an automatic 904 torqueflite with a 225 slant 6. my battery cables are connected good and my battery isn't that only just like 6 months but its like its not giving the starter power. ill check my starter relay and ill look under the hood for the seat belt interlock but i don't think i have one or it didn't affect my ignition because the retractable part of my seat belts weren't hooked up and it wasn't phased and does the body of the starter relay ground it? cause the bolts that hold my starter relay is don't go in far enough so it has wiggle rook

dont think 73 have the seat belt interlock....think that started in 74

is it possible to have a 3 pin neutral safety switch pluged in upside down? or are the outside 2 pins the same so it doesnt matter?

i'm able to jump the starter.

Are you saying you can jumper the relay and it cranks, but not with the key?

is it possible to have a 3 pin neutral safety switch pluged in upside down? or are the outside 2 pins the same so it doesnt matter?

No the neutral safety is the center pin which grounds in park / neutral

Here:

1.....Identify the wire on your starter relay (push on connector) which goes down to the transmission. Remove that wire, and ground that terminal with a clip lead. Make certain the shifter is in park and see if it cranks using the key

If so, the trouble is in that wire, the connector, the neutral safety switch, or the linkage / adjustment

2......If it does NOT crank, leave the grounded clip. Remove the SECOND 'push on' wire, and jumper from the battery stud on the relay to that disconnected relay terminal. If it cranks, the trouble is the wire / connections / ignition switch

3.......If it does not crank in 2 above, jumper the big battery stud on the relay to the big square terminal. If it cranks, replace the relay

It is EASY to understand how these work

BATTERY STUD. The big stud is ONE of the relay contacts, and also a junction

SQUARE TERMINAL. The big square terminal goes down to the starter solenoid

PUSH ON TERMINALS. These can be reversed, they are the relay coil connections. One of them goes "to ground" in park or neutral through the NSS. In a stick car 70 / later, it is grounded by the clutch switch

The remaining 'push on' terminal hooks to a wire, goes through the bulkhead, to the ignition switch, is hot in 'crank.'

outside pin are back up lights...so they dont matter...the center pin is the Ground for the starter relay switch...

-
Back