73 Swinger - Windows - regulator rebuild and recondition

-

Darticon

Reaction score
Sorry if this is better suited to another section.

I've torn the interior apart. Now would be a great time to do redo the innards on these doors but I'm having troubles finding good info or parts relating to the window regulators. Rebuilding / Replacing or whatever needs to be done to get them operating smoothly.

Both front windows have a tendency to rock forward when rolling up. I have to have the door open and pull up on the front while rolling it up to have it level and make a good seal when shutting the door. The rear windows function but need some serious strength to do so.

I've been through the 73dodgebody book PDF I found here. It helps a bit but really doesn't instill me with the courage to just tear it apart and hope for the best.

Anyone rebuilt theirs and have tips, advice, a walk-thru, photos, charcoal rubbings or finger paintings of how this is done?

IMG_1512.JPG

Once you start replacing rollers (which is probably partially what is letting the window fall forward) you will see how it works.
It's not bad at all once you see them out of the door.

The two bolts I circled adjust the forward and back tilt of the glass, and I can tell you just by looking at it that they do not both go down at the bottom of their slot.
This is very likely why your glass does what it does.
If I remember, the left bolt gets raised most of the way towards the top of it's slot and the right one part way.
The hold the weight of the glass, so be ready for them to move suddenly when you loosen them, and it's a bit of a pain in the backside to hold them where you want to tighten them.
Anyway, play with lifting one or both at the same time and check out what they do.

The pic of the roller assy is what they use to attach the glass to the regulator slide at the bottom of the doors and it is VERY common for those to be loose.
The round metal disc is actually the nut and washer (one piece)that hold the assembly to the glass and is on the outside side of the glass while you are looking inside the door. (Fun to tighten or replace unless you have or make a tool for it.)
It is VERY important that those big washer/nut things have something to insulate them from the glass or the glass could just blow apart and fall into the bottom of the door. (I like inner tube rubber for that) if you need.

One more really important thing about these doors is that they HAVE to have the felt pads on the parts I circled AND the outer cat whisker/rubber seal AND the material on the tops of the plastic panels that go on the inner tops of the doors.
These parts are critical for the entire assembly to hold the glass from just flopping around since there is nothing else at the upper parts of the glass except those to hold the glass solid.

Rear windows hardly ever get used so they are normally in pretty good condition.
Problem is they get dirty from years of collecting dust and since they are usually pretty tight and not worn, dust in the old grease makes them really hard to move.
Taking the regulators out, cleaning, greasing and reinstalling usually takes care of those.

That aught to get you started. :D

IMG_1512.JPG

roller.jpg

Thanks TrailBeast,
You seem to be the one helping me out the most here :) and I just wanted to say I appreciate it.

I'd better put something else back together before moving into these.

Im looking for the same thing on my 71 Swinger. Ive never worked on the window regulators and my back windows are a beast to roll up.
Not to mention all of the whiskers and vent window seals need to be replaced.
What is the best way to remove the glass and regulators from the door?

-
Back