737's in the drink....

-
that reminds me of that movie with wesley snipes and tommy lee jones.

i bet i worked on the rail cars in that accident. years ago boeing built a special building just for working on the rail cars. special hoists, ECT. in Wichita KS. if they still have the same crew it will NOT be long till the rail cars are back in service.

When I was working for Motorola, we were on a job down in Oregon. I heard on the radio news about a train derail and clean up

What were they cleaning up?

Why contaminated dirt, which had DUMPED off the PRESENT derailment, the dirt was being hauled by that train from a PREVIOUS derail cleanup!!!

some of the rail cars have boxes that hold tools and small parts. and hold the brackets to bolt the air frame to the rail car frame. and some times parts are shipped to Wichita KS. once i built a frame to hold the front ring on the engine for a 777. the ring is big enough to drive a small car through it.

i bet i worked on the rail cars in that accident. years ago boeing built a special building just for working on the rail cars. special hoists, ECT. in Wichita KS. if they still have the same crew it will NOT be long till the rail cars are back in service.

Is that part of Boeing still in Wichita? I know they moved a lot of operations to OKC.

The Boeing factory in Wichita that built 737 fuselages, along with other airframe structures, was sold to Spirit Aviation over 10 years ago. There were a total of six fuselages involved, with the three obviously destroyed in the river, and another picture I saw of another completely split in half up top. I doubt the other two are intact. At the rate they build those, they can be replaced in a weekend and a half.

This happened about 23 miles from my house. this is at least the 5th derailment in the last 6-7 years. i remember when i was a kid (8 yrs old) a train carrying tar and coors light bit the dust. My father and I spent the next 2 weeks picking up tons of free beer in the canoe. good times.

yes 375 is right Spirit Aviation builds the frames. but they use the same tooling i built years ago for Boeing. if you you see a pic of the work floor that the frames are built on now, in Wichita. that tooling is 100 times better than what they had before. the old setup was not only costly but unsafe. the new system has computers that hold the air frame sections in alinement to bolt it together. to with in LESS then .010 plus or minus. it IS very impressive. the first next gen 737 frame the wing tips was the same distance back from the nose with in .125 dont for get it all aluminum.

-
Back