74 340 Cuda! what should i do?

-

super_limey

Reaction score
My Dad gave me the chance of getting his cuda up and running again. as long as i dont f*** it up or anything he said i can try and get it running. here is how it goes, when we had moved to our new house 18 years ago the one we live in right now my dad brought the cuda and put it in the garage and had done anything with it since! now he wants to get it running again. what should i do before i bother to run it again?

you ***'s that doesnt help very much, and i aint gonna pay $50 000 for it. i will just wait about 15 years then her will give it to me... but does anyone else have any things i should do to the engine before i run it, and if it is seized what do i do?

Wow, where to start? After setting that long a lot of things can happen. CHECK EVERYTHING. Brake hoses, lines, gas tank, lines, trans seals, ball joints, master cyl, wheel cyl, tires, EVERYTHING. The engine probably has at least 1 stuck valve and might have rings that don't want to move. With the engine I'd start by taking the plugs out and spraying lots of WD-40 in each hole. Pull the valve covers off and tap (tap not beat) all the valves to make sure they're not hung up. Do this with the piston down the hole so you don't hit the top with a valve. Turn it over by hand when you move from hole to hole tapping valves. Try to get it loosened up first. That should keep ya busy for a while. Hope this helps. Ray, one of the ***'s.

LM23P9B said:
Wow, where to start? After setting that long a lot of things can happen. CHECK EVERYTHING. Brake hoses, lines, gas tank, lines, trans seals, ball joints, master cyl, wheel cyl, tires, EVERYTHING. The engine probably has at least 1 stuck valve and might have rings that don't want to move. With the engine I'd start by taking the plugs out and spraying lots of WD-40 in each hole. Pull the valve covers off and tap (tap not beat) all the valves to make sure they're not hung up. Do this with the piston down the hole so you don't hit the top with a valve. Turn it over by hand when you move from hole to hole tapping valves. Try to get it loosened up first. That should keep ya busy for a while. Hope this helps. Ray, one of the ***'s.

i agree with him! also i would tear down the top end and redo the gaskets. valve seals, intake, exhaust, valve covers..... it'll run if you dont do it but if you want to do it right thats what i would do. i have to go through this with my scamp but its only been sittin 8 yrs.... not 18.. plus this will give you an idea of what else may need to be done motor wise.

tranny i would wait on till you get it started. it may need a full reseal. but ya may be lucky and be able to get away with just a filter change and pan seal...

also i would TOTALLY redo the brakes. new master, new lines, new cals, new everything.....

new tires are a must. i have BFG Radial TAs on one of my darts and i like em....

oh and also have the radiator and heater cores checked. they may have rusted up since it sat. i have to redo mine in the scamp since it has sat so long without being changed. and mines new...... as of 8 yrs ago....

hope this helps...

super_limey said:
you ***'s that doesnt help very much, and i aint gonna pay $50 000 for it. i will just wait about 15 years then her will give it to me... but does anyone else have any things i should do to the engine before i run it, and if it is seized what do i do?

***'s?

if it ran when parked, and has been in a garage (attached garage I hope?) it should be in ok shape. But, there are a few things to do. Ist, disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the pump, and plug it. Second, drain the oil from the engine, and replace the filter. 3rd, pull all the spark plugs, and squirt some transmission fluid into each hole. Next, put in a fresh battery, and see if she turns over and gets oil pressure. The tranny fluid (or Marvel Mystery Oil) will help to free up any stuck rings, and you want oil pressure before you start it. Next, remove the fuel tank, carburetor, and filter(s). Boil out the tank (or replace it, and the intake sock), rebuild the carb, replace the filter(s). Add a few gallons of fresh fuel, some new plugs, and give it a try. My guess is it will start up. It may tick a bit for the first few minutes, but it should go away as things warm up. Oh, I forgot, make sure the radiator, hoses, and belts are all in working order, or just replace them. Trying to start it with whatever is left for gas, and without changing the oil, will just add to misery later.

ps: "***'s" shows posession. "asses" show plural people not helping..lol

lol i like ***'s better cause asses just doesnt look right to me and thank you for the help!

o and about the tires, it has bfgoodrich radial t/a's on it before i get to tires ima bake the old ones off first!

and alot of those things i wont be able to do because i dont have the experience but were are gonna get a tech here to do most of that crap, i will do as much as i can, like if it is seized i can get that loosened up, but with the wd-40, how long to i let it sit before i try and turn it over ?

o yeah, and i dont care for the bloody brakes and what not, i just want to hear the damn engine ROAR! i should take the headers off :D

lmao, enough little posts by me yet? lol. the car has only been sitting for 13 (i was wrong) years but that still doesnt make a dif.

Put a socket on the crank bolt and try to turn it. I doubt it's stuck, but you never know. BTW, dotn use WD40, use something like ATF, or Marvel Mystery Oil. They are much better at actively freeing rusty stuff. I'd let it sit a week with a bunch in the bores if needed.

wow, A WEEK!!!!!!! i was hoping just a couple hours.... but i will try it after a couple hours but if it doesnt budge ill try day by day cause i dont feel like waiting a week :p

Patience Grasshopper....lol. I know of several guys who create their own problems becuase they get too excited.

Patience Grasshopper....lol. I know of several guys who create their own problems becuase they get too excited.

::Guilty::
I'm sure you can find a load of guys on here who'd be willing to take the car off your hands to get it running...if some arm twisting was involved.

here is the pic of the 'Cuda, and that is my dad standing beside it lol
74-340-Cuda_LR.jpg

I have never seen a paint job like that before. Very cool.
Before you get a new battery and turn a key, I would tell you;
Basic tune up parts.
Marvel mystery oil the cylinders
rotate the engine by hand a few times after the marvel soaks for a few days.
Take distributor out and with a drill, use a priming shaft to get the oil pump ,
to run up some oil through out the engine.

Rear end and tranny fluid change
Change shocks and check all bushings.
Then get new brake pads and shoes when you take the tire off to get new ones.
Double check electrical connections.

This is what I do on my ('73) Cuda. Sometimes it sits several years before I get it going again.

turns out i dont have to do any of that, my dad has decided to take it to a restoration shop like 2 hours from my small city this year :) :wave: :thumbrig: by the way, i know the paint jobs sucks, but i guess thats what looked good back in the 70's when my dad had that done, when restored it will have the original paint scheme and maybe paint colour

don't shoot alot of wd40 in the holes. fluids don't compress. do a little, rotate by hand, then a little more....and so on.

-
Back