74 Duster 4 banger Street/Strip Build

-
Been making some good progress lately on Project Consuela. Unfortunately some of the rust was worse than I originally thought. My plans are to make an all new frame out of 2x3 box steel. I will be doing the ‘cage at the same time, so I can tie it all together. I also plan to tie the front frame rails to the cage so I can remove the inner fenders all together (no need for structural support anymore). I’m still trying to decide on what K frame to use. Since I’m doing this much work anyway, should I just go generic (chevy or ford = cheap) or should I stay with A-body ($$)?
I’m going to need a new floorpan. I know from 2 other friends experience that the AMD unit is a very nice piece and fits perfect. For their builds they worked great, but for mine, I’d like to find something cheaper, as I’m going to be cutting and hacking on it anyway. Thoughts?
Also, I need a new crossmember. I see that AMD sells them, but does anyone make a generic one WITHOUT torsion bar mounts? I’ll be using coil over front suspension so no need for them.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks guys!!

View attachment 20141231_150056.jpg

View attachment 20150103_171738.jpg

View attachment 20150104_171013.jpg

View attachment 20150104_173416.jpg

View attachment 20150104_173435.jpg

View attachment 20150104_173446.jpg

Attachments

• 021614155541.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 898
Been making some good progress lately on Project Consuela. Unfortunately some of the rust was worse than I originally thought. My plans are to make an all new frame out of 2x3 box steel. I will be doing the ‘cage at the same time, so I can tie it all together. I also plan to tie the front frame rails to the cage so I can remove the inner fenders all together (no need for structural support anymore). I’m still trying to decide on what K frame to use. Since I’m doing this much work anyway, should I just go generic (chevy or ford = cheap) or should I stay with A-body ($$)?
I’m going to need a new floorpan. I know from 2 other friends experience that the AMD unit is a very nice piece and fits perfect. For their builds they worked great, but for mine, I’d like to find something cheaper, as I’m going to be cutting and hacking on it anyway. Thoughts?
Also, I need a new crossmember. I see that AMD sells them, but does anyone make a generic one WITHOUT torsion bar mounts? I’ll be using coil over front suspension so no need for them.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks guys!!

the rear torsion bar mounts are in the trans cross member and not the floor pan. It might be a good idea to use a stamped floor.....the stamping of the floor pan combined with the cross member gives it its strength over a flat sheet. You might need that cross member to attach whatever transmission you are using.

if you still have the grille and hardware....I am interested.

I like the direction you are going
Denny

That Omni must be a hand full as well as a mind owed for those looking at the tail lights at the end of the rin. Do you have a dunk chart to post up?

the rear torsion bar mounts are in the trans cross member and not the floor pan. It might be a good idea to use a stamped floor.....the stamping of the floor pan combined with the cross member gives it its strength over a flat sheet. You might need that cross member to attach whatever transmission you are using.

if you still have the grille and hardware....I am interested.

I like the direction you are going
Denny

Maybe I didn't word the post right. My bad. I am curious if anyone made a new trans crossmember without the torsion bars mounting. I'm also looking for a full floor board.

I'd like to find cheaper than AMD components, as I will be modifying them anyway.

I do still have all the original front end components.

That Omni must be a hand full as well as a mind owed for those looking at the tail lights at the end of the rin. Do you have a dunk chart to post up?

I think the dyno charts are on my old laptop. I'll have to look. For now though, if you go to YouTube and type in Reeves Omni you can find a few vids.

Thanks guys! I always appreciate the help.

I can see it but only so big and clear since I ammon my lil'screen phone. I can see the graph lines rise and it looks pretty cool. One hairy ride.
Thanks

James if you need any random parts give me a call, I have a Dart parts car tucked away. The little stuff will nickle and dime you too death some days.

Gary D.

Also, I need a new crossmember.

Come up here with a car trailer and take what you need from the Dart. Might not be worth it with the gas costs though.

Thanks so much! I'm going to be moving my OMNI out of the trailer tomorrow along with the golfed cart so I can load this up. Have an appointment at the sand blasters next Saturday, and then shortly after will be covering in a primer to keep from flash rusting while we install new frame, floorboards, roll cage. Gonna call up Eastwood to see what they can offer in a bare metal cover all that also may be weld thru?

Here's a pic as of 5 min ago:

Attachments

• 20150116_210509.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 766
This is way cool James. looking forward to seeing it completed!

Now you can do rear wheel burnouts~! ;)

Did you find AJE? there stuff is top notch and cheaper than most.. must use their arms with their K member.. you could probably have it custom made with 4cyl mount pads on it..

Very small company maybe 20 people - half the time you call you'll be talking to Anthony himself..

http://www.ajeracing.com/mopar.php

I was on my way to AJE Racing on Saturday morning and my wife was in a bad auto accident. I haven't done much other than care for her. More progress soon!

I was on my way to AJE Racing on Saturday morning and my wife was in a bad auto accident. I haven't done much other than care for her. More progress soon!

James,
My thoughts and prayers are with your family! I wish her a speedy recovery!!
nico

The wife is getting much better. Her hand/arm cast is off. Still another 3 weeks on the foot/leg cast and then she can get a walking boot.

I have made a tad bit of progress on Consuela. I purchased two 20ft eye beams to make a perimeter frame (jig). This will provide a solid place for critical dimensions before I cut out all the rusty stuff. I also have a full AMD floorpan and crossmember waiting for me in Columbus, OH.

I made it to AJE Racing a couple weeks ago and may be going with a Ford Fairlane front K member with strut suspension.

The wife is getting much better. Her hand/arm cast is off. Still another 3 weeks on the foot/leg cast and then she can get a walking boot.

I have made a tad bit of progress on Consuela. I purchased two 20ft eye beams to make a perimeter frame (jig). This will provide a solid place for critical dimensions before I cut out all the rusty stuff. I also have a full AMD floorpan and crossmember waiting for me in Columbus, OH.

I made it to AJE Racing a couple weeks ago and may be going with a Ford Fairlane front K member with strut suspension.

ford fairlane not falcon?

Got some work done this weekend. Floor cutout. New floor test fit. Cutoff the I beams to 16 foot length. UK game (and I'm not a basket ball fan, but that was fun to watch!)

Also got complete front end on order from AJE. Gonna be a mix of Ford Fairlane K member with Mustang A arms and Camaro spindles with Wilwood brakes.

View attachment 20150329_151206.jpg

View attachment 20150328_153910.jpg

View attachment 20150328_172831.jpg

View attachment 20150328_172837.jpg

View attachment 20150328_174425.jpg

View attachment 20150328_175831.jpg

View attachment 20150328_230102.jpg

-
Back