-
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeav

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Shopping around for an 8 1/4 rear end with SBP & drum brakes. I'm in the Arkansas/Oklahoma area and would prefer to pickup if someone has one reasonably close.

Wanting to swap out the rear end on my 72 /6 Duster which has the 7 1/4 rear end with drum brakes. Planning to put in a 360 and need the more robust 8 1/4 rear end. I believe a 8 1/4 with SBP intended for drum brakes should be a "drop in" replacement (?)

I don't think it's a drop in replacement either. You'll need the shock plates and U-Bolts for the 8.25 as well as a shorter drive shaft.

^^^^^ Everything they said is 100% correct.

To get sbp you would need an unmodified 8 3/4 out of an A-body but it still would require shock plates and a different drive shaft.

I have an 8 3/4 A-body rear end housing and axles here in North Central Oklahoma if you might be interested.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I knew it would certainly require getting a new drive shaft made.

I was going the 8 1/4 route because I've heard 8 3/4 can be very difficult to find. The reason I wanted sbp is because I have that in the front and don't want different pattern in the front than in the back. I suppose I could change the front over to disc bbp, but the money... lol

You could find 8-3/4 backing plates and drums for sbp and have the 8.25 axle shafts redrilled for sbp. And you can modify. Your 7.25 shock plates to work but you will need new u-bolts..probably cost more than a disk brake swap though. I got my bbp disk brakes for $100. Good luck

You could find 8-3/4 backing plates and drums for sbp and have the 8.25 axle shafts redrilled for sbp. And you can modify. Your 7.25 shock plates to work but you will need new u-bolts..probably cost more than a disk brake swap though. I got my bbp disk brakes for $100. Good luck

Isn't the center register larger on the bbp axle? If so that would have to be machined down to get the spb wheels to seat.

I have an 8 1/4 A-body rear end here in North Central Oklahoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back