8-3/4 brake gap/ standoff odd measurement

-

SlantedDart

Reaction score
Hey guys. I searched this question front to back but here it goes. A body 8-3/4 I’m measuring 2” brake stand off from face of bearing end to axle face.. I’m ordering new axles and moser has never heard of a stand-off like that.. was a small bolt pattern axle. Any input on this? Thanks
E6D8DC96-48E6-414F-8B0B-E7FC7DAEB19E.jpeg

8 3/4 SBP axles have a shorter distance from the bearing to the flange than BBP.

Where and how that is measured i dont know.

My assumption is the outer face of the bearing to the outer face of the flange.

But dont know

8 3/4 SBP axles have a shorter distance from the bearing to the flange than BBP.

Where and how that is measured i dont know.

My assumption is the outer face of the bearing to the outer face of the flange.

But dont know
Correct. But I can’t seem to find actual measurements.. they are making them just how they are but I’d like to know for the future

Moser has off the shelf axles for A-Body 8.75" applications.
Their custom axle sizing chart doesn't ask for the dimension you're measuring.

Attachments

• New-Orderform-w4-link_1 (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Screw Moser. I they don’t know the difference between A body and everything else 8 3/4”, the don’t know Mopar. Contact Doctor Diff. He will set you right up.

There’s usually common measurement from bearing face to axle face for any manufacturer. I wasn’t familiar with mopar stuff. Narrowing a housing I’ll usually use an h1137 bearing end 3.150. That bearing end is 2.5 stand off. Strange engineering usually has common measurements on their axle form. Mopar is.. blank haha

Screw Moser. I they don’t know the difference between A body and everything else 8 3/4”, the don’t know Mopar. Contact Doctor Diff. He will set you right up.
I emailed him 2 times in the last month no response and phone says on vacation unfortunately. I know things are crazy for manufacturers. They are making them to what I told them so I hope they turn out okay. Usually I’ll go through strange but they talk to you like your a dumb *** or like they just saw their dog get ran over.. frustrating sometimes. I was just curious what a mopar offset is I know there’s two different measurements but never found out what they are

I emailed him 2 times in the last month no response and phone says on vacation unfortunately. I know things are crazy for manufacturers. They are making them to what I told them so I hope they turn out okay. Usually I’ll go through strange but they talk to you like your a dumb *** or like they just saw their dog get ran over.. frustrating sometimes. I was just curious what a mopar offset is I know there’s two different measurements but never found out what they are
He is a member here. Send him a PM.

You will need Big bolt pattern backing plates, Shoes , Park brake struts, and hold down pins. The axles will make the rear track 3/8's wider per side.

Axle flange stand-out is measured from the housing end, not the bearing retainer. In other words, you did not include the thickness of the brake backing plate which the bearing retainer bolts on top of and is missing in your photo.

Also, my Email address is [email protected] If you abbreviate DR, I will never receive your message.

Axles came in… won’t seat all the way to snap ring- 1/8” on one side and 3/16 on the other. I’m guessing in the picture the middle spacer needs to come out. Seems like a dead stop. Or cut axle about 1/4”?
72EB54B8-4D03-4FAF-9B5E-E8567CF55D37.jpeg
9AF672BA-71F0-4EAB-8F2B-5EE107106B36.jpeg
Also this little snap ring keeps these axles in with the plate on a good side load? Seems a little dinky..

That’s not a spacer. That’s the grease seal. Yes that snap ring retainer will hold axle in. Make sure the grease seals are all the way in.

That’s not a spacer. That’s the grease seal. Yes that snap ring retainer will hold axle in. Make sure the grease seals are all the way in.
Way inside the carrier there is a spacer block where the splines are located

The center pin seems to be still in there.. not familiar with 8-3/4 but like on a 12 bolt or 8.8 that pin has to be removed to take out c clip style axles. That’s what it looks like

Depends if it is a Dana clutch type or Borg Warner cone SG. I can’t tell by that picture if the thrust buttons or a spacer there.

I think it’s the spacer not seeing thrust buttons. They had green bearing in this housing before( what I took out) what I did is used the drum backing plate to take up the void and that should work. I’ll be using disk brakes so I didn’t put it on. 741 case if that helps any

I don’t think there’s anything thrust buttons in there. It’s only the cross shaft. The cross shaft needs to stay in there correct?? Can’t just remove it or the spider gears will fall out? My only option is to trim the axles. The bearings sit different on the new axles letting the axle go in further then they should

If you are working on a rear disc brake kit that was not designed correctly, you must install a 1/8" spacer between the wheel bearing and housing end, remove the differential thrust block or alter the axle dimensions.

61285901-2AA3-4295-A086-65CC760B41E3.jpeg
973A8671-8C3F-46A5-9A58-A00D71CD84BD.jpeg
Well I did some thinking and a bunch of measurements and imprint test. This is a dead top sound. Something is stopping this axle from going in all the way. Measuring 26-15/16 from center of pin to bearing face and axle is 26-13/16. Did an imprint test with some hot glue and I have about .160 of gap so it’s not the middle shaft. The axle seal show about 3/16 gap of clearance. And I have about 1/16 gap between the spiral lock and bearing face. Other side is a solid 1/8. I’m stumped. Really don’t want to run a make up spacer for the backing plate. It will push tires too far into the quarter than I like.. any thoughts?

-
Back