8 3/4 E-Body in an A-Body?

-

jakuzzie

Reaction score
Hi!

Will an 8 3/4 E-Body rear end fit in an A-Body? (Duster)?
Has anyone ever done that?
I know i have to relocate the perches, but they are 60,7" long and i think it will fit perfectly.
(Using 14" Rallye Wheels and 235 tires)

What do you think?

Would I need other drumbrakes or can i use that brakes from the 7 1/4?
How long has the driveshaft to be (using 904) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always read that a B-body 8.75 fits in way better....

I put a E-body 8 3/4 under a Demon. I moved the leaf perches. It worked, but was wide. With a normal 14" rallye, I couldn't really go any wider than like a 205/70r14. I wouldn't do it again.

The above post is right, B-bodies fit much better. I've done these without removing the perches, only ovaling out the perch holes. Worked great!. I think if I remember correctly, 66-67 B-bodies are the best choice, they are a hair narrower.

Ooooo
318WR nailed that one!

All 8-3/4 drum brake hardware will swap to any other 8-3/4.

I can’t answer the drive shaft question though, sorry.

An E-body 8 3/4 is too wide if you want to use any kind of 14 or 15" rims that don't have a custom backspace. I have a 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 in my Duster, it works out to be 60- 1/8" wide wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. I ran 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace on it with 225/60/15's and even those were right on the quarters. There's no way I could have gotten 235's on it without rubbing, and the E-body rear is an extra 1.5" wider compared to the 68-70 B body 8 3/4, so, that's an extra 3/4" per side toward the quarters. Not even the 225's would fit with a standard rim, you'd need to have something custom made and even then you might not be able to get as much backspace as you'd need because of the actual design of the rims.

Ooooo
318WR nailed that one!

All 8-3/4 drum brake hardware will swap to any other 8-3/4.

I can’t answer the drive shaft question though, sorry.

No sir! You can NOT interchange SBP and BBP brake parts, doesn't matter if they're both 8 3/4's.

The brakes depend on whether or not the 7.25" is BBP or SBP. If it's BBP then you can use that drum brake set up on the BBP 8 3/4's. If it's SBP then you can't use anything with a BBP 8 3/4, and you'd have to source a set of BBP brakes. You can not interchange the 5x4" SBP brake stuff with the 5x4.5" BBP brake stuff unless you also change out axles, the axle flange offset is different for the different bolt patterns and so is the offset on the backing plates, drums, etc.

For a Duster, a small block/904/8.75 car should use a 49.25" long driveshaft. Should being they key word. Ride height, what springs you're running, how everything fits on your car can change that. I would always recommend measuring your own car before you buy a driveshaft or have one cut down. But that was the factory length.

Last edited:
An E-body 8 3/4 is too wide if you want to use any kind of 14 or 15" rims that don't have a custom backspace. I have a 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 in my Duster, it works out to be 60- 1/8" wide wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. I ran 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace on it with 225/60/15's and even those were right on the quarters. There's no way I could have gotten 235's on it without rubbing, and the E-body rear is an extra 1.5" wider compared to the 68-70 B body 8 3/4, so, that's an extra 3/4" per side toward the quarters. Not even the 225's would fit with a standard rim, you'd need to have something custom made and even then you might not be able to get as much backspace as you'd need because of the actual design of the rims.

No sir! You can NOT interchange SBP and BBP brake parts, doesn't matter if they're both 8 3/4's.

The brakes depend on whether or not the 7.25" is BBP or SBP. If it's BBP then you can use that drum brake set up on the BBP 8 3/4's. If it's SBP then you can't use anything with a BBP 8 3/4, and you'd have to source a set of BBP brakes. You can not interchange the 5x4" SBP brake stuff with the 5x4.5" BBP brake stuff unless you also change out axles, the axle flange offset is different for the different bolt patterns and so is the offset on the backing plates, drums, etc.

For a Duster, a small block/904/8.75 car should use a 49.25" long driveshaft. Should being they key word. Ride height, what springs you're running, how everything fits on your car can change that. I would always recommend measuring your own car before you buy a driveshaft or have one cut down. But that was the factory length.
If you run a 205/70r14 or a 195/75r14, you'll be fine with a normal rallye sport wheel on a E-body rear in a A-body. But with B-body rear ends being so cheap and common, there is no reason to use a E-body in my opinion, even if it was free.

Thanks 72bNb. I didn’t know that bridge existed.
Axle flange offset huh?

I’d say sell the E body rear or swap someone. But how many Mopar’s are running around your neck of the woods?

Thanks guys! You really helped me out.

My problem is: I live in Austria. Most people think the best brand in the world is Volkswagen, they don´t know that cadillac still exists and they think mopar is a disease. And so 95% of the cars on the roads are tiny, shitty and diesel. I can´t just go to the junkyard and get a 8 3/4. There is only one complete 8 3/4 in the internet but it´s in germany. So I take what I can get :D

Narrow the e-body rear to fit you needs and buy some quality axles to fit. Money well spent.

I think that new axles maybe a bit of a reach for him in Austria. I think we’re looking at off set wheels really.

Hey dudes!
Just installed the 8.75. It just fit perfectly even with the 235/60R14 tires (pics on Instagram).
I took the Duster for a testdrive and in 2nd gear it starts making a whining noise. Especially at deceleration.
At low speed it´s quiet.
Anyone dealt with that?

Hey dudes!
Just installed the 8.75. It just fit perfectly even with the 235/60R14 tires (pics on Instagram).
I took the Duster for a testdrive and in 2nd gear it starts making a whining noise. Especially at deceleration.
At low speed it´s quiet.
Anyone dealt with that?
I've ran an e body width axle since ivI' owned my car. No problems. "BUT" I run modern in set 18's off a Dodge Magnum.

If gears whine, there is a slight adjustment to be made on where the are exactly sitting.
Are they used/old?

Hey dudes!
At low speed it´s quiet.
Anyone dealt with that?

Yeah that's not an E-body 8 3/4. Not unless those rims have a 5"+ backspace.

I've ran an e body width axle since ivI' owned my car. No problems. "BUT" I run modern in set 18's off a Dodge Magnum.

All about the backspace

An E-Body 8 3/4 fits perfectly in an A-Body

D4345CFB-FAEB-4997-A1DB-AD8268F9EAFE.jpeg

D4EC25A4-D6EC-4F99-B4B0-E516335555C3.jpeg

7ABCB5C1-FE71-4FC8-AE5B-B7F0129D317B.jpeg

Never seen one fit like that. Always pushes the tire into the well lip. Good that it appears to work for you. The 68-70 B's need a bunch more backspacing to fit and they are shorter than an E.

Maybe it's the metric conversion! :)

An E body that's 56 1/2" long?? Either somebody narrowed it or it's an A body rear originally. Or maybe it's the metric conversion from Austrian metric to German metric then to Murcan metrick..

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the E body leaf springs at an angle? Closer in at the front than the rear. That stands out in my mind for some reason.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the E body leaf springs at an angle? Closer in at the front than the rear. That stands out in my mind for some reason.

Yup, E-body springs do have a little angle on them and are narrower at the front. But the leaf spring perches themselves are not angled, they're straight on the axle housing. Although it wouldn't matter, they're also 46" center-center so they'd have to be moved to go under an A-body anyway.

Yup, E-body springs do have a little angle on them and are narrower at the front. But the leaf spring perches themselves are not angled, they're straight on the axle housing. Although it wouldn't matter, they're also 46" center-center so they'd have to be moved to go under an A-body anyway.

Right. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.....well.......never mind. lol

-
Back