8 3/4 guru need your help

-

crazy 340

Reaction score
like I said in an other treads I just bought a 727 with a transbrake in it with a 8'' 5000 rpm stall

now I spoke to a friend and he told me my 83/4 will never gonna be able to hold with my set up could it be true I alwais love the 8 3/4 dif
and have 3 gears that goes with it

I already have bears axles in
what do you suggest to make it stronger

thanks Bob

Back brace and if you have the 489 center section use a solid pinion sleeve instead of the crush sleeve.

IS this a street car ? solid and crush sleeve aren't the problem with the 8.75, solid does nothing for strength

Yep--Supershaft is on it--Slicks????? or street tires????? if slicks and a trans break,dropping the hammer at 4000 could get interesting on 8-3/4. Steve

I am no expert but I have seen 8 3/4 rears back braced with carrier cap reinforcement studs built in to the brace. Don't know how much stronger it makes the bearing caps but when they fail it is real ugly.

yup any real hp in a car thats not 2000lbs and gets traction isnt gonna take long to kill the 8 3/4. its the shock and deflection that does it.

You need the AL thru bolt housing if your making good power, then you are ok, but they don't like street use.

Everyone will dis-agree with this. I only know this from experience in my 600 HP,3300 lb Duster, Grinner Brake,Ladder bar and 14 X 32's.If you run the 742 case (not 489), along with a back brace, it will live.The only thing is, as you know they don't make the Pro Gears any more. I always had better luck with the street gears, and ran them any way.Only thing is, about every 2 years, depending on how much you run it,the ring gear will start to chip at the outer edge of the gear.Just check it yearly, and add new ring and pinions.
I also never broke a pinion, but everyone will tell you the tappered one is stronger with crush sleve eliminator. This may be true, but none of us had any problems.
My Valiant had the same combo and weight, but I run a glide, 4th pass last year, I blew my 489 case apart, ring pinion and bearing cap (who knows which broke 1st).It was all new inside also. Richmond gears spool etc.The car came with it, and I just ran it.
I also blew a 489 case apart in my Duster when I 1st built it, it had a SB in it then.
I switched to a 742 case, ran it all year no problem. I now run a Ford 9' just to be safe.

Yes, billet yoke you can get $100.00 ones on Ebay that work fine.Also 1320 joints.....742 case, it is something about the webbing in the case that works better.

There is NO WAY for a crush sleeve to crush in use.

I'll explain because even guys that do rear ends believe this nonsense, then they say it adds strength, really how in the world could a bearing load design add strength.

Under load the pin wants to shoot out the front, and if it was able to be held in place it would shoot the driveshaft into and break the trans... just like the 9" does when the always needed and not there for added strength 3rd bearing fails.

Now when the pinion is under load it is pushing the main pin bearing against the case.. IF IF it could push the entire pin gear forward it would push the front pin bearing off the race relieving the bearing preload, but there is no way it could crush the sleeve.
Now when under Decel, the opposite happens and the Ring is trying to eat the pin gear and rip it into it and shoot it out the cover, so now the front bearing is being pulled against and the sleeve or shims would and are being relieved of any pressure they have.

The crush sleeve SIMPLY puts the drag on the bearing needed.

This is no different than wheel bearings, wheel bearings also need a determined amount of load, without the right preload the bearing will be too loose or to tight.
The crush sleeve will never change once it is installed because the pressure on the pin is always at either end trying to relieve the bearing load not increase it.

I have seen the 8.75 in race cars in the stock 89 and 42 cases break and even with the MW billet caps break, and i have never seen the problem be the crush sleeve or shims, i have ALWAYS seen the cap or adjuster be the reason for the problem.
This is why i say use the AL thru bolt case it doesn't have the issue.

Now i have a few cars and have crush sleeves and never ever seen any issue, i also do hundreds of diffs and never seen a crush sleeve crush any further, it is impossible without someone squeezing the bearings together, which is impossible with a diff in use.

If you really in racing, sell all your 8.75 rear and parts then order up a Dana 60

I'm certainly no guru, lol, but my neighbor, 69 Dart runs 9.50's at 140ish, leaves the line around 36-38 hundred off the trans brake. He runs an 8 3/4 489 shortened housing, axles and back brace on a 4 link and has had zero issues with it.

After twisting Moser axels(30 spline) I pieced together a Dana 60,also a CM driveshaft with 1350 joints and have,nt looked back.

I used to have a dana few years ago but I sold it:banghead:
to a friend because I taught I could never brake a 8 3/4
but now ...

friend who I spoke to,broke a 8 3/4 few years ago
it hade moser axles
MW main and billet yoke
the pinion snap it was a 489

but the week before he drop a u joint
does the pinion hade something wrong who knows
and when the pinion snap in the same time one of the main broke
not the MW but the other one who was still an OE

I do think or hope should I say
if I built it right with
the MW main (x2)
billet yoke
billet adjuster
and maybe the back brace( I dont know why it help)
it could hold

the problem is I dont know if I could get the cash for a dana
new axle for it
and I dont know what else

think it will be much expensive with the dana
but with the dana I will do it ounce

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO WAY for a crush sleeve to crush in use.

I'll explain because even guys that do rear ends believe this nonsense, then they say it adds strength, really how in the world could a bearing load design add strength.

Under load the pin wants to shoot out the front, and if it was able to be held in place it would shoot the driveshaft into and break the trans... just like the 9" does when the always needed and not there for added strength 3rd bearing fails.

Now when the pinion is under load it is pushing the main pin bearing against the case.. IF IF it could push the entire pin gear forward it would push the front pin bearing off the race relieving the bearing preload, but there is no way it could crush the sleeve.
Now when under Decel, the opposite happens and the Ring is trying to eat the pin gear and rip it into it and shoot it out the cover, so now the front bearing is being pulled against and the sleeve or shims would and are being relieved of any pressure they have.

The crush sleeve SIMPLY puts the drag on the bearing needed.

This is no different than wheel bearings, wheel bearings also need a determined amount of load, without the right preload the bearing will be too loose or to tight.
The crush sleeve will never change once it is installed because the pressure on the pin is always at either end trying to relieve the bearing load not increase it.

I have seen the 8.75 in race cars in the stock 89 and 42 cases break and even with the MW billet caps break, and i have never seen the problem be the crush sleeve or shims, i have ALWAYS seen the cap or adjuster be the reason for the problem.
This is why i say use the AL thru bolt case it doesn't have the issue.

Now i have a few cars and have crush sleeves and never ever seen any issue, i also do hundreds of diffs and never seen a crush sleeve crush any further, it is impossible without someone squeezing the bearings together, which is impossible with a diff in use.

I have thought about it and looked at it in the past and couldn't figure out how it could possibly crush the sleeve more. Figured you'd know. The only plus I see using a solid spacer (and this is just me) is it's easier for me to set the preload with shims rather than crush the sleeve down. The 2 I tried using a crush sleeve in I went a little too far and got them too tight so had to start over.

The reason for the back brace is because as your car leaves the starting line, and your tires stay at the starting line because they are sticking, the housing will flex. When it does, the pinion trys to pull away from the ring gear.
This is why the ring gear begins to chip at the outter edge over time.The pinion is trying to break the ring gear teeth off.
A back brace is not going to save your rear end, but it will help.It is a must in HHP drag race applications.
A Ford 9" has a pinion support (2 bearings, 1 on each end),which helps keep the pinion inline with the ring gear.If you set a Ford 9" next to a 8 3/4 pumpkin, it will all make sense to you.Wimpier by design.
Also, look at a 8 3/4 axel housing, it is 2 pieces stamped together, then look at a 9" axel housing.
I sold my 8 3/4 ,430's, spool 31 spline axels, billet yoke complete for $1000.00 and it cost me a $1200.00 to build my killer narrowed 9" with Yukon nodular case, large Daytona aluminum bearing suport,Strange spool,billet 1320 yoke and 35 spline Moser axels all new......And I don't run a back brace with a transbrake, leaving @ 5500 RPM's all season.I even got 11" brakes as an upgrade out of the deal as a bonus!
Paint the 9" black, and no one will ever know the difference from a 8 3/4.

Quit while you are ahead and call Braden @ Quick Performance in Iowa:

http://www.quickperformance.com/

He also sells on Ebay, he is awesome.

I'm certainly no guru, lol, but my neighbor, 69 Dart runs 9.50's at 140ish, leaves the line around 36-38 hundred off the trans brake. He runs an 8 3/4 489 shortened housing, axles and back brace on a 4 link and has had zero issues with it.

I have several cars with 8.75's, saying he runs 9.50 in a 69 dart is great, but is it running 9.50's in a factory weight 69 or is this like my friends 69 and it's 2800 lbs ?
Also he makes 300 runs a year or 6

Back brace does nothing for the cap issue to why they eventually break with the "iron case"

NO No No Dana, too heavy,too expensisve,Too hard to change gears........ but I agree they are strong.

I do rears all the time and i lift them with brakes on and deliver and or instal, the 60 and 9" with rotors and calipers are 18 lbs difference. I lift them all the time, there is no 50 90 100 lbs difference, 18 pounds

friend who I spoke to,broke a 8 3/4 few years ago
it hade moser axles
MW main and billet yoke
the pinion snap it was a 489

but the week before he drop a u joint
does the pinion hade something wrong who knows
and when the pinion snap in the same time one of the main broke
not the MW but the other one who was still an OE

I do think or hope should I say
if I built it right with
the MW main (x2)
billet yoke
billet adjuster
and maybe the back brace( I dont know why it help)
it could hold

the problem is I dont know if I could get the cash for a dana
new axle for it
and I dont know what else

think it will be much expensive with the dana
but with the dana I will do it ounce

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't see the street, toss the 89 case, buy the AL thru bolt case it then uses the 42 style R&P.
Then you won;t have a issue, if you do all street driving then you have a problem and will need the one for street and the other for the track.
I am over 500 passes on the AL cases with cars at factory weight leaving at 5800, in the mid 9's to low 10's.

Iron case and guess what, cap issues and maybe 60 passes, and that is WITH the MW billet caps.

I have thought about it and looked at it in the past and couldn't figure out how it could possibly crush the sleeve more. Figured you'd know. The only plus I see using a solid spacer (and this is just me) is it's easier for me to set the preload with shims rather than crush the sleeve down. The 2 I tried using a crush sleeve in I went a little too far and got them too tight so had to start over.

Actually it is much easier with the crush sleeve, thing is you probably don't do enough of them to see it, with the crush sleeve once you get within 8" lbs you make very very little increment turns, like 8 degrees, then rotate the pin a good few revolutions, recheck pre-load and if it's off a little lets say 4" lbs make a 3 degree pull.
It is very easy to go to much it's very little movement of the nut at that point.

The shims are more time consuming as you need to go totally apart and back together again and sometimes you need a .0015 difference to get it perfect and that turns into a sob problem.

The only thing i see with the shim over the sleeve is changing end yokes, it takes out all the care and makes it a stupid person replacement part. Knock the nut off and remove old , put on new, tighten nut back to 250/300 area and have a nice day, that doesn't happen with the sleeve.

The reason for the back brace is because as your car leaves the starting line, and your tires stay at the starting line because they are sticking, the housing will flex. When it does, the pinion trys to pull away from the ring gear.
This is why the ring gear begins to chip at the outter edge over time.The pinion is trying to break the ring gear teeth off.
A back brace is not going to save your rear end, but it will help.It is a must in HHP drag race applications.
A Ford 9" has a pinion support (2 bearings, 1 on each end),which helps keep the pinion inline with the ring gear.If you set a Ford 9" next to a 8 3/4 pumpkin, it will all make sense to you.Wimpier by design.
Also, look at a 8 3/4 axel housing, it is 2 pieces stamped together, then look at a 9" axel housing.
I sold my 8 3/4 ,430's, spool 31 spline axels, billet yoke complete for $1000.00 and it cost me a $1200.00 to build my killer narrowed 9" with Yukon nodular case, large Daytona aluminum bearing suport,Strange spool,billet 1320 yoke and 35 spline Moser axels all new......And I don't run a back brace with a transbrake, leaving @ 5500 RPM's all season.I even got 11" brakes as an upgrade out of the deal as a bonus!
Paint the 9" black, and no one will ever know the difference from a 8 3/4.

Quit while you are ahead and call Braden @ Quick Performance in Iowa:

http://www.quickperformance.com/

He also sells on Ebay, he is awesome.

There are some misinformation in here.

1. the back brace keeps the housing from flexing ONLY if the springs are able to by location on the tubes distance from the housing ends, or if you're running a 4 link or ladder bar.
Now the housing can flex simply from the tires LEVERAGE point from suspension location..

2. Now when the housing flexes what happens is each time you leave it holds that slight bend, you either notice something in time or you don't, then what happens are the AXLE pry the carrier out of the case.

3. The ring gear chipping is the MAIN cap movement issues the Iron 8.75 has and why they CHIP the gear, not the housing flexing.

Now lets pick apart the misconceptions of the 9"

1. You're using a AFTERMARKET case and have the sense to compare that to a Iron factory 8.75
Had you used a factory ford nodular case YOU would be that guy in the picture i provided above when it BREAKS the 3rd bearing housing, and when a 9" breaks, unlike a 8.75 you don't need a trans and shaft, but the 9" when it breaks it is 80% of the time because the 3rd bearing failed.

2. the 9" has 2 bearing just LIKE every diff pinion does, the 9" has them WAY to close together and WHY it NEEDS and MUST have the 3rd bearing BECAUSE it is always in a state of DEFLECTING from the RING gear underload, and WHY they NEED load bolts when you go faster.

Thats a lot of issues to deal with and they have a hp loss to deal with.

The 9" has stupid aftermarket support, it needs it or the factory stuff breaks, but they have the largest amount of gear choices and aftermarket support and simply because they are so so easy to work on and set up compared to any other diff.
You can set up the pin at one side of the bench and set the ring at the other side and join them make adjustments without total dissembling the diff.

That is the only positive point.

AS for the 9" housing not flexing, that is total bs, i have another customer who this one unlike the other 3 of which one had a simple back braced 9" on a ladder bar, this one had the braced housing also with a ladder bar and guess what happened, it flexed and flexed and making a burnout and rolling out it flexed again and pried the carrier right out.

Also the ford housings you buy you better pay CLOSE attention to, there are major differences and some are WAY lighter, those are for OVAL racing and even with the bracing they flex in drag cars at normal weights, like i have just explained.

The housings all flex depending ON the suspension attachment points on the housing, and this is why i always make all attachment points as close as possible to the bearing end to counteract the leverage trying to bend them, many other builders put the suspension attachments as inboard as they possibly can for all the room possible for the largest tires, but as i have been saying for years and years you don't all need 16" wide tires, you need to understand suspension set up, along with motor location and angles.

Dana's flex, 12 bolts flex, 8.8's flex, it all has to do with suspension mounting points in relation to the end.

-
Back