8 3/4 housing back brace problem

-

csilver

67 440 GT
Reaction score
After the back brace was installed on the 8 3/4 housing the rear shocks wont clear the housing. Is there an easy fix for this?

67 Dart GT

If I'm understanding and the shocks are hitting the new brace, I'd think you'd need to notch it appropriately and weld in bits to patch/box it back up.

Won't notching it weaken the stiffening function of the brace?

If it's welded all along the brace, it shouldn't affect it at all.

A pick would be handy. I have one on mine and no interference.

I had to notch mine particularly since I extended it to near the housing end. I think I used some driveshaft tubing to "box" it back in.

Attachments

• backbrace1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 394
I was going to back brace my 65's but its about 1/4 inch from my fuel tank...Might fab up a custom one if I ever get to it.

but a new upper shock mount in the car.....

Excuse my ignorance but what's the reason for a back brace? Obviously to strengthen the rear but is it needed in anything short of a 600+hp drag car? Like I said I know nothing about em so please "learn" me!! Lol

You pretty much have the idea of it Caleb. It can help keep the housing from twisting under higher HP/hard launch conditions.

I braced mine when I built it, I haven't the HP to warrant it, yet, but it's there if I need it.

Aaahhh makes sense. So what would you do with a rear that has the rear cover? Like a 8.25, 8.8, etc?

Been thinking about running a brace over the top with some .134 wall 2x3 tube.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the reason for a back brace? Obviously to strengthen the rear but is it needed in anything short of a 600+hp drag car? Like I said I know nothing about em so please "learn" me!! Lol

It does not take 600 hp to twist the housing on a 8 3/4....been there twice.....

-
Back