8-3/4 questions

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Got an 8-3/4 rear to install in my 66 that has 11x2.5" brakes, 742 case with 2.76 suregrip and is 56-1/2" flange to flange. Whan I have it narrowed, I will tell them to make it 51-1/2 flange to flange. Sound right? I also will just purchase a-body axles for it. Does anyone know how long the a-body axles are in case I have to have them made? I posted this thread on BBD yesterday but no one will reply; must have pissed them off or something.

The Axles On My 68 Barracuda 8 3/4 Were 27 3/4 Inch Total Height.actual Length Can Be For Giving If You Were To Use The Green Bearing Set Up Which I Highly Suggest.
Terry

Hey dartman:

I'll measure my a body housing tonight for you. It's not under the car yet.

I orderd my axles from Randy's, with the Green Bearings for $250 US.

The have two lengths. 28" and 30". You tell them you have a a body and they will send you 28's, but that is a nominal size. I'll measure them too for you.

Two shops here wanted $400 to machine my old axles to lbp!! One shop wouldn't even touch them for liability reasons.

Aftermarket is the way to go!

Jim

DSC09531.JPG

The 11" brakes require .25" more between the axle bearing and the axle flange.
The 11" drums are wider. Moser has the correct ones,

Hey Dartman:

My a body housing measures 52 5/8" from flange to flange.

The LBP axles are 28" from outside of flange to end of spline.

Hope this helps.

Jim

DSC09537 (Small).JPG

Thanks a lot guys. The info REALLY helps since what was supposed to be a bolt in rear HA HA has turned into a learning experience. I found a place locally that can narrow the housing and he also will cut the axles and re-spline for $450.00 for all. The axle demensions that you gave me Jim will really help.
Thanks again all!
ps Someday when I join the digital age I will send pictures. I have only had enough money to spend on the car lately.

If he'll cut and re-spline the axles, you might want to do the housing at an even 51", because the B, C or E body axles are @ 5/16 per side wider than a stock A body axle is.
There's very little outside tire clearance on a '66 Dart as it is, so a slight bit narrower can't hurt any.

Mark.

-
Back