8 3/4 Rear End 66 Valiant

-
Yep, just have to rework you drive shaft,shorten and the u-joint to fit the yoke if larger than your 7 1/4.

The aftermarket shock plates I looked at do not have the big stud welded on to mount the shock to, they require a bolt on the bottom as well so just make sure you get some good grade 8 hardware and you should be good to go. FWIW, I found a driveshaft from a Charger is a good start with a 741-case center chunk but as was previously stated will need to be shortened. I can't remember the exact measurement but just break out the tape measure. Since you have a 66, you should have the slip yoke at the front instead of the older ball-and-trunnion setup which opens up your options significantly. I was able to do the swap to the 8 3/4 by myself in a carport with just hand tools so it's not very difficult. Your ring-and-pinion choices are limited for the 741 chunk. However any 8 3/4 chunk will bolt in, but you may need a special u-joint depending on what driveshaft you are using.

Now remember, the A body housing was also changed for the 70 and up model years, and the brake line brass block was relocated further down the tube from the 69 and earlier. Not a big deal until you need to hook up the rubber brake line, then of course you'll find out what I did, that the hose is too short. I went to a mobile hydraulic hose maker in my area and he was able to provide me with the necessary fitting to lengthen the hose !! Geof

Now remember, the A body housing was also changed for the 70 and up model years, and the brake line brass block was relocated further down the tube from the 69 and earlier. Not a big deal until you need to hook up the rubber brake line, then of course you'll find out what I did, that the hose is too short. I went to a mobile hydraulic hose maker in my area and he was able to provide me with the necessary fitting to lengthen the hose !! Geof

Good point. I have two of those rearends out back and I knew they had the block toward the drivers side. Did they change the metal line on the car toward the drivers side also?

Good point. I have two of those rearends out back and I knew they had the block toward the drivers side. Did they change the metal line on the car toward the drivers side also?

Yep!! If you look in your favorite line providers catalog, they list a line set for 1969 and earlier and one for 70 and up!! Not a huge difference, and probably wouldn't be a problem if it were going into a Duster or post 67 Dart, but in the earlier cars it will be a concern!! Geof

Make sure the bolt patterns are the same. You might have to upgrade the front brakes to the larger bolt pattern.

The 8 3/4" A-body axles were only made with the small bolt pattern. But you may of course find one that has been modified and has the large pattern.

-
Back