8 3/4...School Me...

-

ckj688

Reaction score
I feel stupid asking this but I'm unfamiliar with 8 3/4 rear's and need help! This is a posi with 3.91 gears (thats the extent of my knowledge). The thing is, I dont know what kind of posi it is...can anyone help. I figured if I'm gunna learn about it what better place then FABO!

The reason I ask is because it needs a rebuild kit and I need to get axles!

8.75_chuck.jpg

8.75_chuck_2.jpg

8.75_chuck_3.jpg

8.75_chuck.jpg

8.75_chuck_2.jpg

8.75_chuck_3.jpg

You used to not be able to rebuild those, or so I thought. Lately I've been doing some reading and I guess you can rebuild them after all. I believe they call that the 489 case. The earlier DANA made sure grips in the 741 case are the more desirable ones. You should PM "crackedback" he seems to be REALLY knowledgable about the 8 3/4.

You used to not be able to rebuild those, or so I thought. Lately I've been doing some reading and I guess you can rebuild them after all. I believe they call that the 489 case. The earlier DANA made sure grips in the 741 case are the more desirable ones. You should PM "crackedback" he seems to be REALLY knowledgable about the 8 3/4.
I,d have to say the .489 is more sot after!My 2 cents.

Yeah, I found out it was a 489 by the large 9 on the other side, but I know there are rears w/ clutches, limited slip, etc...I'm kinda clueless on all this, lol

Found this tidbit online:

1-3/8" small stem pinion... (aka. '741')...
Carrier casting numbers: 1820657 (1957-1964), 2070741 (1963-1972). This assembly was typically used in low weight/low horsepower applications through low weight/medium horsepower and high weight/low horsepower applications. Pinion depth and bearing preload is set with shims. Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters.

1-3/4" large stem pinion... (aka. '742')...
Carrier casting numbers: 1634985 (1957-1964), 2070742 (~1961-1969). This assembly was replaced by a phase-in of the 1-7/8" pinion starting in the 1969 model year. 1970 RW (Plymouth and Dodge mid-size) were the last models to use the 1-3/4" which appeared in a 2881489 case. This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications. Pinion depth and bearing preload is set with shims. Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters.

1-7/8" tapered stem pinion... (aka. '489')...
Carrier casting numbers: 2881488, 2881489 (1969-1974). This assembly was introduced in 1969 and was phased-in as a replacement for both the 1-3/4" "742" unit and the 1-3/8" "741" unit. Note: the 1-3/4" pinion also appeared in some '489' carriers during this period. By 1973, the '489' was the only unit available in passenger car applications. This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications. Pinion depth is set with shims, preload is set with a crush sleeve. Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters.

All 8-3/4" carrier assemblies can be identified externally by the casting numbers. Additionally, the '741' commonly has a large X cast on the left side, the '742' may have a large 2 cast on the left side, and the '489' has a large 9 cast on the left side. Through 1965, the factory ratio was stamped on the identification boss, followed by an 'S' if Sure Grip equipped. After 1965, a tag was affixed under one of the carrier mounting nuts to identify the ratio. If Sure Grip equipped, an additional Sure Grip lube tag was sometimes affixed; later years sometimes had the filler plug painted orange.

I also found this...sounds like what I have?

Borg Warner Spin Resistant
1969-1974 used the Borg Warner Spin Resistant (# 2881343). This unit utilized a spring-preloaded cone friction arrangement for the locking action. Axle end thrust is taken by the cross shaft. This Sure Grip appeared in '489' assemblies and 70 and later '741'/'742' assemblies. The differential axle bearings are: LM 104912 (Timken cone), and LM 104949 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 2852729 and 2852728). The Borg Warner Spin Resistant unit can be recognized by its lack of bolts on the side opposite the ring gear (like the Dana), and two openings exposing the preload springs. Borg Warner sold this design to Auburn Gear who currently offers the replacement Sure Grip assemblies.

From the looks of it,the pinion has come loose at the pinion nut and allowed the pinion gear to move back ,hence the marks on the SG unit. It also looks like metal shavings all over the place. Is there side play on the yoke?

The reason its out of my car is a while back I was driving home from work and the pinion nut fell off...wasn't the greatest sound...but those marks were also there when I got the rearend

I'm gonna guess the crush sleeve crushed some more, let the pinion slop around and ate it up. If you decide to put it back together, put a solid crush sleeve eliminator in the case. Way better set up.

You need to take it all the way down to clean it up. Inspect the gears CLOSELY! I have a rear that did the same thing, and cracked ring gear teeth almost the entire outer circumference.

The sure grip, or posi as you put, is rebuildable. There are kits ranging from $10 to $45 They all do the same thing.

If you didn't pay too much for it, and the parts are good, it's a nice starting point for a rear.

Well, the 489 and 742 cases are the strongest. Mopar patterned their aluminum chunk on the 742 case because it has the largest rear pinion bearing of most any passenger car rear end, even the Dana 60. The pinion size isn't an issue because even the 742's 1.75" diameter is larger than a Dana 60. But the 489 is more than capable of handling anything you'll throw at it.

Yes, it is true the 741 has the smallest stem diameter at 1.375. But that is still larger than the famed Ford 9" at 1.313. The 741 has always had a bad wrap as being "weak". So send me all your "weak" no good 741 third members with 3.23 or lower ratios.

i just bought all new guts for a 489 case,,just cause i have it ,,call doctor diff,,i got every thing from him,,unbelievable low shipping rates was here in 2 days,, nice guy to deal with talk to cass,,,

Yes, it is true the 741 has the smallest stem diameter at 1.375. But that is still larger than the famed Ford 9" at 1.313. The 741 has always had a bad wrap as being "weak". So send me all your "weak" no good 741 third members with 3.23 or lower ratios.

I agree!

I've beat the ever living dog out of 741 carriers. It's a bad wrap. Send all the crappy 741 cases with 355/391's my way. I'll give them a proper burial.

ckj688, your third pic shows the numbers on the case. The last three digits are 489. No guesswork required on that.

I think 65barracudadude was talking specifically about the Dana SG unit that often came in the 741 case. They can be used in the other cases and work very well. As far as the 741 case goes, I have not broken any of them....741, 489 or 742. The 742 is my favorite because of it's big bearing.....

Alright, allow me to ask another stupid question, whats the spline count for when I go to purchase new axles. I don't wanna buy em to find out they dont match...is it a 29 spline? (I think I read that on a site)

That there you have is the Auburn cone style sure grip. Considered by the industry as the superior design for it's function, many people still prefer the Spicer Powerlok for it's "rebuildability". When 65barracudadude is referring to the earlier Dana unit, he is referencing the Spicer unit, as Spicer is a division of the Dana corp. The Auburn has been considered non-rebuildable, although there is a way to restore it to servicability. You simply mill off the bottom of the cone and replace the mill thickness with shims on the top to make up the difference. The one setback you may find is that if the cone was allowed to bottom out and score the housing, you will need to find another housing. Not the carrier case, the suregrip housing. I would inspect that rearend thoroughly due to the damage, but I would suspect that the damaged pinion gear has already been replaced. The suregrip unit itself can be removed from the unit and used in any carrier housing, so it doesn't matter if you have a 741, 742 or 489 case, the suregrip unit will fit them all. I am with the camp that gives the 741 it's due, it is not an inferior unit, just overlooked because of the availablilty of the larger pinion shaft sizes of the 42 and 489 case. Good luck with your project, Geof

Nice link, Demon Seed, good info.
CKJ688: The more splines you have, the heavier the axle will be, if it carries that diameter through it's length, which I would think it would, for strength. When I raced in Stock Eliminator, we used the lightest that would hold up., giving us a huge (sarcasm) advantage. Hey every little bit...
Also, FYI, Mopar "posi's" are referred to as "Sure-Grips". Doesn't matter a bit, they do the same thing!

My mistake. I thought you were refering to aftermarket axles, in which case you buy the count you want and a carrier to match.
I didn't even know the stock axles came in different spline counts.

8.75's are all 30 spline unless the carrier has been monkeyed with.

-
Back