8 3/4 yoke question

-

pagilman

Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 center section with 4 cap bolts broke off the yoke. (the center is out). Do you guys think I should replace the yoke or try to get the broken bolts out? Can i change the yoke only or would the pinion have to be reset? I am on a small budget. Thanks for any input .. Walt:angry7:

go for pulling the bolts if you can.Odd that all four broke.Show a pic if you can.

I'd at lest try getting the old bolts out. I've had good luck using left hand drill bits. What center section is it? If you can't get them out the 741 and 742 center sections use a solid pinion spacer so it's no problem swapping yokes. Only the 489 has a crush sleeve that requires replacement when you swap the yoke. If I do have to replace a 489 yoke I replace the crush sleeve with a solid pinion spacer. Ton's easier to set up and if in the future if you have to take the yoke off you don't even have to pull the carrier.

BTW: did this happen from dropping the drive shaft under a load? If so and you have a torqueflite you may have more serious issues as they are real bad about destroying the over running clutch when that happens.

Thanks to you guys it looks like I'm in luck, it is a 91 case so all I need is to try to find a yoke at the junkyard. Sounds like it is easier to just change the yoke, Will a 92 yoke work on it? thanks to all, Walt (and a thanks to pretty blue dart, hopefully I can find one locally)

Unless they were broken years ago and got rusted in the mean time, I would pull the old stubs out. WD40 and a good, sharp, small, center punch to tap them counterclockwise is all you need. Once you back them out a little, they'll usually come out by hand. If you have to replace the pinion flange, get one from the same case number if you can.

They have been broken for a long time and were rusted pretty good, I keep soaking them with pb blaster. If i have to drill them and fight with them for days, i figured it would be easier to change the yoke, i noticed some have fine splines and some course. Does this have to do with truck or car use or is it with the style case?

Thanks to you guys it looks like I'm in luck, it is a 91 case so all I need is to try to find a yoke at the junkyard. Sounds like it is easier to just change the yoke, Will a 92 yoke work on it? thanks to all, Walt (and a thanks to pretty blue dart, hopefully I can find one locally)

Walt do you mean 41 and 42 cases? I assume that's what you mean since their are no 91 and 92 cases. If that's what you mean, yes the yokes will interchange as they were all 10 spline yokes. There is 2 sizes of U-joints though. The smaller 7260 and the larger 7290. The 7260 is what you see under all factory A-bodies if I'm not mistaken. Some 489 yokes will interchange too as some were 10 spline. But some on 489 cases were 29 spline. BTW: You may already know this but in case you don't, when you change the yoke put a light coat of silicone on the splines to keep gear lube from leaking through them. I actually put it on the inner splines of the yoke so it doesn't get pushed into the diff. After I slide the yoke on I wipe the excess off. And put some loctite on the threads of the nut so it doesn't back off. You might also want to change the seal since you said it's been setting for a while.

I,d set it on a drill press and drill all 4 out and use a u bolt kit. Supposed to be stronger.

If the dust ring is in the way, knock it off and drill the remains from the backside if possible, tap them from backside for a small bolt and tighten it to run them back out.

You can also heat the yoke up with a torch and wick candlewax into the threads.

-
Back