8.75 drain plug

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
my rear end rebuilder told me that i need to change the oil in it after abiut 159 miles. of course, i thought to ask this AFTER i reassembled the unit.....

so i was rereading the mopar action article on drilling and tapping a pipe plug into the bottom of the housing. this just seems like its begging for leaks and troble. am i wrong> is there a better solution that desnt require me pulling it all apart again? or am i just being paranoid?

let me know what you guys think/have experienced.

Michael

I drilled and tapped mine for a 1/4" pipe plug works fine. Ive rebuilt dozens of axles and never changed the oil in them in any time frame. Never heard of that one.

I was just thinking about this same thing myself. Seems like a pipe plug should work well. They have tapered, self-sealing threads. Maybe use a little teflon tape on it.

Obviously you will have to drain it to drill in a drain plug. I installed one in mine before assembly. I used a 3/8 npt plug hex instead of the standard square pipe plug fitting that will stick out and applied sealant when I installed it, this way you can put a jack under the diff without disturbing the plug. One thing to keep in mind if you do this is to set the plug off to the side of the ring gear, not directly under it.

-
Back