8.75 to dana

-

forced 340

Reaction score
hey guys. im going to a dana 60. was wondering how much if any would I have to shorten my drive shaft? I have a 8.75 in it now. thanks guys!

Well, when I did it the Ujoint changed, so I needed a new driveshaft anyway

I want to say when I did mine I needed more space between my tire and the fender wall in front of the back tire. I made half inch aluminum spacers I put between the front leaf spring pad and new longer grade 8 bolts. I was running 28 inch slicks on my Duster and I needed the space up front anyways... I'm going to say that and a little bit of play that I did have allowed me not to have to get my Driveline shortened... but from experience getting a Driveline shortened as much cheaper than stretching one...

Usually they have adaptive U-joints if one size is bigger than the other but generally they're not solid...

I already moved my leafs back when I did my relocation. sounds like ill need to shorten the shaft a little.. thanks!

If you're 8 and 3/4 is still in good condition you'll likely sell it pay for the Dana 60 and have money left over LOL...

I have a 1350 driveshaft now. did the length of yours change?

I don't know. I threw the old one in a pile of scrap iron. I didn't want the adaptive u-joint and I wanted a 3" shaft.

I also moved the rear back 1.5", so it definitely changed length.

I got a grand for my 8.75. Put a decent dent in the cost of the dana.
I spent at least $1, 200 building my 8 and 3/4.. after 20 passes at the track at blew the Caps off the back.. I can't remember maybe a hundred fifty or something leftover for the housing or something but really didn't get much of anything out of it..
Spent the same $1, 200 on my Dana and of course no worries now..
Hindsight wishing I wouldn't have just did the Dana first time.. or found out about the clutch tamer...

Last edited:
I recently shortened a shaft small u-joint from 7-1/4 rear to a 8-1/4 rear 2" trim cost me like $125 balanced with new NEPCO grease-able joints.
That was in Connecticut.

SO after all this BS do anyone have the answer to the question.
You writing a book or something? I wasn't big thing I was telling exactly what I did and then he rate and my experience.. I'm sure with the 500 cubic inch 6 Speed you probably don't have a 7 and 1/4 rear end...

You writing a book or something? I wasn't big thing I was telling exactly what I did and then he rate and my experience.. I'm sure with the 500 cubic inch 6 Speed you probably don't have a 7 and 1/4 rear end...
Doing the same thing you're doing so kind of an answer would be nice instead of all the bull crap that's being said

Doing the same thing you're doing so kind of an answer would be nice instead of all the bull crap that's being said
Ask me a specific question and I'll give you a specific answer no problem..
Also if you want no bull crap I suggest you get online and ask one of those mechanics online that you pay for answers...

Ask me a specific question and I'll give you a specific answer no problem..
Also if you want no bull crap I suggest you get online and ask one of those mechanics online that you pay for answers...
I'm not understanding this you asked a question and I'm sitting up here waiting for the answer just like you are what what's going on here

I'm sorry not you the first poster asked a question that's all I needed was an answer I don't know what bs you're talkin about

Take a left turn at Kmart....
yeah that's exactly what you need to do because you never answer this question he's not putting together car like you did it's completely different so you're sitting up there answer the question that you have no answer for yeah take a left turn at Kmart

yeah that's exactly what you need to do because you never answer this question he's not putting together car like you did it's completely different so you're sitting up there answer the question that you have no answer for yeah take a left turn at Kmart
You win! I'm not willing to debate your diplomacy any longer..

changing from a 8 3/4 to a Dana 60 we needed a drive shaft that was 1.22 inches shorter.....

I went from an A904 and 7.25 to an A727 and Dana 60. I bought a new and balanced drive shaft, which was around $300-$450, can't remember the price and don't really want to. I just don't remember the difference in length either. I was willing to eat cheap food, and forego snacks and sodas for a couple of months to make up the difference. I didn't mind the loss of a few pounds and looser pants at the end of that...

It’s best to measure and have your driveshaft cut to length or have one made. Too many variables.

Wow! I miss read the question. When I read "how much" I thought dollar wise not length. Sorry
I think the questions around this board need to be more specific or you end up with interpretations, kinda like I did.

-
Back