80's A998/A999 into Early A

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
The 904 behind the 273 in my 65 Valiant leaks pretty bad out of where the cables go into it. I do have a good 998/999(?) from an 85 Chrysler, which seems to have some sort of overdrive in it. Will the converter from the newer transmission work? I realize I'll need a yolk and the shifter linkage, anything else?

I have a 68 904 in mine. mine is a 66 valiant. you may have to replace the speedo cable as well. not sure if the 85 is an overdrive might just have a lock up converter.
you will also have an issue with the hub on the converter being to large. the early cranks had a smaller register for the converter hub.

If it's an overdrive, it ain't a 904. It's an A500 or A518 and will require major modification to the floorpan and crossmember. Probably what you have is an A998 or A999 lockup style 904. That WILL bolt right in requiring the yoke change and the shifter linkage change you mention. Also too make sure you get the kickdown linkage right. The hub register on the crank is also different where the converter hub rides. There is an adapter ring you can get to solve this. It's cheap. I think CharlieS and slantsixdan both offer it, or can tell you what to get and where. I am not familiar with it enough to know, but they are. It's an easy swap to do and the lockup converter will help you get some better mileage on the highway.

The 904 behind the 273 in my 65 Valiant leaks pretty bad out of where the cables go into it. I do have a good 904(??) from an 85 Chrysler, which seems to have an overdrive in it. Will the converter from the newer transmission work? I realize I'll need a yolk and the shifter linkage, anything else?

The hub on the late model transmission will not fit in to your 65 crank register.

You would need a Dacco 962-S convertor or an equivalent convertor. It is designed to use the with the 68 up transmission TF904 and the 1.550" pilot bushing used on the 1960 thru 1967 small block. This is in the 2012 Dacco catalog.

Alright, so I spoke with Pat Blais who told me..

"Mike,

Now I get the picture: 1985 TF-998 or TF-999 to be installed behind the 1965 273. Problem is that the torque converter pilot hole at the rear of the early 273 crankshaft measures 1.51” I.D and the 1985 converter pilot measures 1.81” O.D. So the late model converter (1968+) will not install into the early type crankshaft (1964-67). Only two practical solutions to consider: 1. If you have the original 904 which was mounted to the 273 you could use the front pump assembly, front clutch assembly and rear clutch assembly with the 18-spline input shaft and simply transfer those 3 parts to the 1985 Torqueflite and use the 1965 converter which fits into the 1965 crankshaft recess. 2. (you don’t likely want to hear this !) – either remove the 273 crank and have the pilot hole machined out to 1.81” I.D. to accept the 1985 converter OR swap the 273 crankshaft for a 1968+ 318 crankshaft, forged or cast type will work.

TF-998 versus TF-999. The 998 was introduced by Chrysler in 1968, same year the converter pilot knob/crank pilot hole changed. The 998 was upgraded from the 904 by changing to a wider low-reverse, double-wrap type band, planetaries upgraded to 4-pinion versus 3-pinion in earlier models and the 27-spline input shaft. The TF-999 was introduced about 1974 and came with a wider second gear band and a front clutch drum that held a 5th friction disc and steel plate. It essentially was a “mini Hemi 426 Torqueflite”. In 1979 Chrysler introduced a low-gear planetary gearset along with a high numerical rear axle ratio (2.4 & 2.2) to meet the Federally mandated C.A.F.E. mileage requirements and still retain good off-the-line acceleration.

So you don’t need my bushing but you have a couple of decisions to make. The A-500’s are still available out here on the West Coast as well as the 727 size 518’s and 618’s. *

Thanks; let me know if I can be of further assistance with parts or information.

Pat"

Soooo.. Not usable? Unless I pull the 273, which I don't really want to do.

Apparently Pat Blais doesn't know they can build a converter for a late trans. to use with a small crank register. Just like Oklacarcolletctor said, all you have to do is use a Dacco converter that's specially made to use a late model trans with an early small register engine.

Kinda hard to believe Pat's not aware of that.

Apparently Pat Blais doesn't know they can build a converter for a late trans. to use with a small crank register. Just like Oklacarcolletctor said, all you have to do is use a Dacco converter that's specially made to use a late model trans with an early small register engine.

Thank you very much, and thanks Okla. Very glad to hear it. With the Dacco converter, I don't need any adapter bushing I take it?

The adapter bushing makes the hub register in a later model crank smaller so it captures the earlier torque converter snout.
Why some have trouble understanding a bushing makes a hole smaller, not larger, is a mystery to me.
The 998 and 999 are lock up type, but not overdrive. If the custom built convertor isn't the lock up type, this swap is a waste of time.

I'm using this same trans behind my 340 in my valiant but I'm also using a 70-up engine. They made the crank pilot hole bigger from 68-up. The trans I have is lock up + it also has a solenoid on the valve body for OD that requires 1 power wire out the back of the trans with a switch.

Thank you very much, and thanks Okla. Very glad to hear it. With the Dacco converter, I don't need any adapter bushing I take it?

Right. The Dacco converter is all you need.

Edit: As Red pointed out there are lockup and non-lockup transmissions and you need to identify what you have so you get the right converter. You can tell lockup from non-lockup by what the input shaft looks like. If about 1/2" of the front end of the input shaft is machined down smooth it's a lockup. If it has splines all the way to the end it's a non-lockup. Here's a picture showing them. The top one is a lockup and the lower one is non-lockup

Attachments

• 904 input shafts.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 464
The adapter bushing makes the hub register in a later model crank smaller so it captures the earlier torque converter snout.
Why some have trouble understanding a bushing makes a hole smaller, not larger, is a mystery to me.
The 998 and 999 are lock up type, but not overdrive. If the custom built convertor isn't the lock up type, this swap is a waste of time.

I'm not positive on 999's but 998's weren't all lockup's. I have 2 998's in the garage that are std. torque converters. You are correct in pointing out he needs a lockup converter if his trans. is a lockup.

So I called Dacco yesterday morning and asked about the 962-s lockup converter. After being transferred 6 times, I was able to talk to someone about that converter, which they couldn't find. They then took my information for the motor/tranny I'm running, and said they had to look into custom making a converter for me? Then they said they would call me back within a couple hours to let me know if they could do it. I called at 8 AM and never heard back.
The problem for me is I work night shift, underground in a uranium mine. I can't call them at any time, and I have to sleep by 8 AM through the day.

If anyone is willing to deal with Dacco for me, to buy the proper converter for me, I would appreciate it very much. I would pay you for the part, the shipping cost, and I would compensate you for having to call them.

PM me if interested in that, thanks.

So I called Dacco yesterday morning and asked about the 962-s lockup converter. After being transferred 6 times, I was able to talk to someone about that converter, which they couldn't find. They then took my information for the motor/tranny I'm running, and said they had to look into custom making a converter for me? Then they said they would call me back within a couple hours to let me know if they could do it. I called at 8 AM and never heard back.
The problem for me is I work night shift, underground in a uranium mine. I can't call them at any time, and I have to sleep by 8 AM through the day.

If anyone is willing to deal with Dacco for me, to buy the proper converter for me, I would appreciate it very much. I would pay you for the part, the shipping cost, and I would compensate you for having to call them.

PM me if interested in that, thanks.

Mike did you verify if it's a lockup or non lockup trans. by the pics of the input shafts I posted? I can help you get it but we have to verify that because their not interchangeable and with you being across the border we sure don't want to get the wrong one.

pat blias isnt really on his game! i ordered a 360 torque convertor balancing kit from him a couple years back, the directions verbally told you were to put the weights. but the diagram given was totally off. i called him before i did any welding. he said i was the first person to catch his mistake, i wonder how many people are wondering why their 360 is still off balance?

Can't you have a lockup converter crankshaft snout machined down to 1.51 od?
I never messed with a lockup trans but it seems like a simple solution.

-
Back