84*86 truck 318

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I have a chance of picking up a rebuilt 84 or 86 truck 318 and transmission and was wanting to know what I would need to do to install it in my 67 Barracuda? Also what should I look for when I go look at the engine and transmission to see if it what the guy says it is?

The numbers are on the side of the block. Look for a standard 6 digit number - displacement - single digit

there's also a casting date on the block.

You'll have to change the oil pan for it to fit in a barracuda. No big deal other than that. 727 transmissions will have a bump out on the passenger side pan rail where a 904/998/999 will be straight.

One other thing you'll likely have to do is change to a non-feedback carb and a non lean burn or electronic spark control ignition system. Otherwise the engine will work great.

rebuilt? that is the $100 question-- does he have receipts? I have heard of people just degreasing engines & painting calling them rebuilt.

so be wary of re-built engines. Lawrence

VDART,
I asked that same questions and he told me he has all the reciepts so when I go look at it tomorrow I will check to make sure he has them.
Thanks for the advise

I too found a 84 318 and here are some photos. If you are lucky it will be a roller cam engine with the 302 swirl port heads.

Attachments

• 88truck_1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 88truck_2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 88truck_3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 158
Check for the simple stuff, oil leaks etc.
Ask why the engine was removed if not in the truck.

FYI I bought a "rebuilt 340' a month or so ago.
The engine was rebuilt in 2003 after getting it home and checking it out, on the dates on the engine bearings.
The engine had a used cam and lifters. Cylinders had slight surface rust and needed honed.
The good was it was .030, 243 KB pistons, clean looked fresh .010 crank.
Heads garbage, had mositure around the valves, at the machine shop now for clean up.

$1200 inital buy looks like it is going to run about $2500 to make it right.

I too found a 84 318 and here are some photos. If you are lucky it will be a roller cam engine with the 302 swirl port heads.

You found that in a 84 318? Now you got me thinking.
My duster has a 84 318 in it now and it runs pretty good.
I thought they did not come out until 86?

Well the guy wants to trade me for a 16ft skiff that is in my back yard that I have never put in the water since I got it, and couple bills, So I figure if I can get it for the skiff and say two maybe three hundred dollars it should be a good deal with motor and trans.

Take a 1 1/4" socket with extension and a rachet, see how easy it turns over.
Might be a great deal for both of you.

Also ask, if he has any extra mopar parts never know what people have in a building.
I scored a complete 413HP that is in my buddys truck now that was free.

Never would have thought of taking the socket and checking to see if it turns over or not, and will ask about other parts also.

Remove one or both of the valve covers to check how clean inside it is along with condition of valve train etc.

Use your best judgement.
I bought a 440 once out of a motor pile at the local junk yard for $40.00 complete with carb.
It would not turn over, I seen the problem a converter bolt lodged in the flex plate and block.
Turned the motor back bolt dropped out, it has been running in my cousins 69 charger for about 10 years now with only a couple of gaskets changed.

Ya, I was told that I was full of s*%t,, but The date is on the block so.... It came out of a Dodge Diplomat with a 2 barrel to boot . I understand that the 318 was first with the roller then the 360. The engine that I was replacing was in a 88(360) Dodge D 350 and it was Flat Tappet. You never know with Ma Mopar.

You found that in a 84 318? Now you got me thinking.
My duster has a 84 318 in it now and it runs pretty good.
I thought they did not come out until 86?

Ya, I was told that I was full of s*%t,, but The date is on the block so.... It came out of a Dodge Diplomat with a 2 barrel to boot . I understand that the 318 was first with the roller then the 360. The engine that I was replacing was in a 88(360) Dodge D 350 and it was Flat Tappet. You never know with Ma Mopar.

I don't think they came out until '86, at least, everything I've ever seen before says they didn't. The 302 heads and roller cam came out for the 318 in '86, the 360 didn't get them until '88. But even then not all of the 318/360 engines had 302/308 heads and rollers. Maybe it was rebuilt at some point and changed over? Or maybe someone just swapped the cam and heads? Hard to say with old engines, just because the block is an '84 doesn't mean the rest of it is.

I've got an '86 318 that has 302 heads, but no roller cam. Go figure.

The roller blocks and 302 heads came out in '85. The block above would have been installed in an 85 model year car or truck based on the 10-24-84 casting date.

The roller blocks and 302 heads came out in '85. The block above would have been installed in an 85 model year car or truck based on the 10-24-84 casting date.

Now that's thinking. Should have realized that it was an '85 model year block.

-
Back