904 2-3 Shift Flare

-
So I took the outer spring out of the front servo and the flair is gone! It is just a really quick 2-3 shift. I also put the accumulator spring back in because the 1-2 was a little harsh.
I hope I didn't glaze the clutches. When I drove it I let off the gas a little when it shifted to 3rd so I wouldn't glaze them. I had it apart two years ago ahd the clutches looked new. I used Alto Res Eagles and they seam to be pretty tough.
Thank you to all that contributed in helping me. Bob

My fish started doing that when I went from the 340 to the 416. Did it on the track manually shifting and on the street letting the tranny shift itself in drive. Adding more fluid helped but did not solve the problem. No answer for the cure cause I just pulled the engine / trans and will get one built when I put them back in the next car while the fish gets prettier. Not sure what fluid was in the trans but I added B&M race fluid when I was adding.

So I took the outer spring out of the front servo and the flair is gone! It is just a really quick 2-3 shift. I also put the accumulator spring back in because the 1-2 was a little harsh.
I hope I didn't glaze the clutches. When I drove it I let off the gas a little when it shifted to 3rd so I wouldn't glaze them. I had it apart two years ago ahd the clutches looked new. I used Alto Res Eagles and they seam to be pretty tough.
Thank you to all that contributed in helping me. Bob

Glad it worked , changing the fluid was not going to fix this problem. The front clutch spring kit is more than likely what was the root cause because you say you added the TF-2 hoping to cure it which also wouldn't do it .

Did you return the adjustments of the pressure regulator and the band adjustment back to the recommended settings when you installed the TF-2 ?

The pressure regulator is set flush with the retainer and the front band is backed off 1 1/2 turns.
I am kind of concerend that by taking the spring out it might damage the band or the clutches in the direct drum. I haven't gone wot on the trans yet since I took out the spring, but half throttle seems to be ok. It's a quick shift but not as firm as the 1-2 shift.

The fluid will cool those bands and clutches and keep any small friction from damaging them.
It's pretty much normal for the 2-3 to be a little softer, and if you did want it firmer you could drill the separator plate feed a little bigger.
Your good, so nail it!:D

The pressure regulator is set flush with the retainer and the front band is backed off 1 1/2 turns.
I am kind of concerend that by taking the spring out it might damage the band or the clutches in the direct drum. I haven't gone wot on the trans yet since I took out the spring, but half throttle seems to be ok. It's a quick shift but not as firm as the 1-2 shift.

-
Back