904 differences

-
thanks fishy whats the adjustment for a single wrap ? just for the sake of knowing . I'll be using this thread as a reference for any later work or the next time I do one of these .

Your welcome. At the moment I can't locate a manual that gives the spec for a single wrap band in a 904 but off the top of my head I think it's supposed to be backed off 2 turns.

well I finally got time to work on this thing , the old ones out ,the flex plate is drilled for the larger converter bolts , bought a seal puller and did the front seal , it was so easy i figured I may as well do the the back as well but noooo the replacement is to big OD to fit in the tail shaft WTF . I guess the search begins for the one I need doh

thanks 70aarcuda I found a couple of online catalogs with those numbers as well , I need to measure the new and old to be certain then find someone local who has one eh ! I know when I called the dealer about getting one with a dust boot they were dumb founded but now that i have some numbers maybe the guy at my local parts place can track one down .

I wonder if it didn't fit cause they gave you a 727 seal? It's a larger o.d. I have only seen one size seal used on 904's in cars but I have only seen 66 and up. Still, as Tony pointed out, the o.d. is the same on the 62-66 seal. Just the i.d. is different.

yeah I wondered the same thing Fishy but then whats the difference between the 66-72 and the 73-up ? since the kit was listed as being for 73 and up I figured this must be one of those little differences .

yeah I wondered the same thing Fishy but then whats the difference between the 66-72 and the 73-up ? since the kit was listed as being for 73 and up I figured this must be one of those little differences .

They probably eliminated the boot as a cost cutting measure. Do you have the o.d. of the wrong seal? If so I can measure it against one I have here from a 727. A lot of the time they changed things there's just a minor difference and sometimes you can use the older style part in a newer trans. and vise versa, but not always.

BTW: O'Reilly's has a pretty good website to look up parts on. It shows dimensions on a lot of parts so you can compare them to yours. I've had good luck with it.

I was going to put a set of calipers on the replacement thats too big to compare it to the one my parts guy has coming in for me today but I was running behind this morning and left it on the kitchen table , oh well they`ll take it back if it`s wrong but their book showed different part numbers for the 73 -up and 62 -72 so heres hoping thats it.

turns out the one my local parts guy had available is the right one and even has the dust boot so that worked great . Next question can I jump the neutral safety switch ? car doesn't want to turn over , it turned a little and clicked once but then nothing , I still need to get 1 converter bolt in and need to figure out if the starter is gone or the safety switch is bad , doh should have changed it while it was out but forgot all about this happening from time to time before the resto . Everybody thought the problem was in the rest of the ignition somewhere but now that it's back I suspect the switch.

Good deal on the seal and I learned something as I thought all 904's used the same seal. Yeah you can jump the neutral switch to test it although if you just jump it at the trans. you also have the wiring leading to the starter relay that can cause an issue. If you look at the starter relay the 2 small prongs are the ones that kick it in. One side leads to the ignition switch (yellow on my 68 Cuda) and the other leads to the neutral switch (brown on mine). If it doesn't start by jumping the neutral switch try jumping the corresponding color wire at the relay that leads to the neutral switch. If it still doesn't start it's a bad relay, starter, battery or cable.

p.s. if it does turn out to be a bad neutral switch make sure and fix it right. Jumping it out may get it working but is really dangerous. My car was jumped out when I bought it and I didn't know it and one day I didn't notice I had left the shifter in low to give me access to the stereo and I started it and nearly ran into my work bench before I got it stopped. I'm extremely glad no one was in front of me.

thanks Fishy I did a search yesterday and found where you gave the same info to another member so I grounded the relay terminal with the brown wire and voila it turned over strong so it's either the wire or the switch , I didn't have the energy to crawl under last night but tonight I'm going to ground the connector to see if it's the wire .

Alright next question , Which fittings are on a stock 904 for the cooler lines ? are they NPT or AN and what sizeand thread are they ? I'm having braided steel lines made so I can re route them away from the headers and don't know what fittings to have put on them , other than knowing to order them all as female .

npt...1/4 or 1/8.....one of those...lol

that is for the tread the screws into the case...

If I remember right their a #5 AN which is kind of an oddball size. If you have trouble finding #5 fittings and hose you can always change the adapter fitting going into the trans. case. It's a 1/8" NPT going into the case. You should be able to find a 1/8" NPT to a #4 AN male to male fitting and use that size hose.

Thanks again fishy I'm having a local hydraulic supply house make the hoses for me so now that I know what it is supposed to be they'll know what to do .

Your welcome. Make sure they don't use a hard to bend high pressure hose. There's not a lot of pressure there so it doesn't have to be high pressure hose. 100-250 psi hose will do and be easier to work with.

well I fought with the stock lines and got them on and away from the headers , and she's finally back together enough to jack her up and circulate some fluid , I only had 5 qts on hand and the part store is closed Sunday's but the wheels turn backward in reverse and forward in all 3 drive selections, I can't feel it shifting gears when in drive but everything spins smooth no bad vibrations and it definitely clunks going from R to D so I'll just have to get some more fluid and run her down the road a bit and see if she shifts. Next problem is no speedo - probably didn't get the cable all the way into the gear , and that neutral safety switch , is it going to puke fluid when I swap that ? I also can't find the little clip that hols the ball pivot for the kickdown lever but hopefully it will turn up when I pull the car out and clean the garage floor otherwise I'm going to have to search for one of those somewhere .fingers crossed eh!

So far so good man, cool
If you start it right before you pull the neutral switch it'll pump the fluid down below the switch and not run out.

Are you saying your missing the E clip that holds the TP shaft in place?
I so you can get one at any Ace hardware store.
Just might have to pick up a couple just to make sure you get the right size on the first trip.

well I fought with the stock lines and got them on and away from the headers , and she's finally back together enough to jack her up and circulate some fluid , I only had 5 qts on hand and the part store is closed Sunday's but the wheels turn backward in reverse and forward in all 3 drive selections, I can't feel it shifting gears when in drive but everything spins smooth no bad vibrations and it definitely clunks going from R to D so I'll just have to get some more fluid and run her down the road a bit and see if she shifts. Next problem is no speedo - probably didn't get the cable all the way into the gear , and that neutral safety switch , is it going to puke fluid when I swap that ? I also can't find the little clip that hols the ball pivot for the kickdown lever but hopefully it will turn up when I pull the car out and clean the garage floor otherwise I'm going to have to search for one of those somewhere .fingers crossed eh!

it's the clip that slides over the vertical rod to connect it to the pivot piece that's bolted to the intake , thanks for the tip Trailbeast , I have to buy a 1" deep well socket to swap the switch and hopefully I'm right about the speedo , the cable kept pushing back into the sleeve when I was trying to screw on the coupler so I think it just didn't push in far enough , at least I hope thats what it is , any tips on get the crossmember hole to line back up I've only got one bolt on each side in and the other two are off by 1/2 the hole , darn unibody.

Take the weight off the crossmember and it'll move around.
Those holes are far from precision and the crossmember will slop around quite a bit.

it's the clip that slides over the vertical rod to connect it to the pivot piece that's bolted to the intake , thanks for the tip Trailbeast , I have to buy a 1" deep well socket to swap the switch and hopefully I'm right about the speedo , the cable kept pushing back into the sleeve when I was trying to screw on the coupler so I think it just didn't push in far enough , at least I hope thats what it is , any tips on get the crossmember hole to line back up I've only got one bolt on each side in and the other two are off by 1/2 the hole , darn unibody.

IT'S ALIVE well sort of it moved out of the garage under it's own power for the first time in months lol , reverse works real good haha , I had the linkage adjusted so it was pushing hard into park while I was bumping the starter with the neutral safety switch jumped to bolt in the converter , it now seems like there is no D but it moves forward in 2 and 1 which seems like it must be the linkage is too far out of whack , otherwise it should move in D if it moves in 2 right ?

I forgot to mention Thanks for the tip on the safety switch there Trailbeast ,with the tranny a quart + low and running it in Nuetral for a couple of seconds I was able to do the swap without spilling a drop , the old one was definitely bad it had no spring in it at all. Now wher at the hardware store would I find that clip ? plumbing ? we don't have Ace up here any more and all the Home Hardware stores have changed hands but if I knew where to look maybe Homo Depot or Lowes will have it

-
Back