904 differences

-
well as long as it will cycle through to the pan I won't worry I just know I didn't do the rebuild in surgical conditions and am a little paranoid no biggie tho as with the spring mod I can feel it shift to 2 in the 25 to 30 range and into third in the 40-45 range but I can peddle it into third at about 35-37 so thats where I'm going to leave things for now , I need to get this thing out on the highway this weekend and find out if the drive shaft is good at 60 and how the car feels at those speeds . I really like the way it sits on the brake now it has a fair sized cam and is lopey but it isn't surging and pushing against the brakes at the lights like it was and the idle seems calmer and the car even seems a little quieter if only because of how smooth it drives , it's really deceiving it feels like it's a granny mobile but when I look at the speedo it say's I'm doing 40 -45 and it should be off the other way because it was bang on with a stock sized tire before it came out of the car and now I'm running those 245/60/14's which are supposed to be almost 2 inches bigger , can I swap the speedo gear from the 727 or are they model specific ?

Cool, glad you got her smoothed out.
The spring rate may be a little high for you later on, but that can always be adjusted.
The only thing you need to watch for with the trans and contaminants now is a "No shift" condition because the pump get it's fluid directly through the filter so if it (the pump) survived this long already you are going to be good unless a valve sticks as stuff gets flushed out back to the pan.
Even if it does stick a valve it's an easy fix really.
The 1 and only thing that makes me a little nervous is the power you are running and the line pressure. (line pressure may be too low for that HP)
When it shifts does it feel kind of snappy and quick about it?

Pretty sure the gears are specific although I can't remember for sure.

well as long as it will cycle through to the pan I won't worry I just know I didn't do the rebuild in surgical conditions and am a little paranoid no biggie tho as with the spring mod I can feel it shift to 2 in the 25 to 30 range and into third in the 40-45 range but I can peddle it into third at about 35-37 so thats where I'm going to leave things for now , I need to get this thing out on the highway this weekend and find out if the drive shaft is good at 60 and how the car feels at those speeds . I really like the way it sits on the brake now it has a fair sized cam and is lopey but it isn't surging and pushing against the brakes at the lights like it was and the idle seems calmer and the car even seems a little quieter if only because of how smooth it drives , it's really deceiving it feels like it's a granny mobile but when I look at the speedo it say's I'm doing 40 -45 and it should be off the other way because it was bang on with a stock sized tire before it came out of the car and now I'm running those 245/60/14's which are supposed to be almost 2 inches bigger , can I swap the speedo gear from the 727 or are they model specific ?

no it shifts quick but soft you barely feel it , theres no lurch or kick at all , took it out on the highway for a couple of miles out and a couple back , still not sure on the speedo , was doing 10 over in town by the speedo but some times the traffick moves that fast on that street when it's not rush hour and when the rd became the highway I held 60 in a 48 zone and everybody pulled away from me so I let them so I could run her up to a 100 one time real quick and believe me 60 to 100 happens real quick ,then when I used the off ramp to turn around and head back I merged at 57 and ran in the pack at that speed which is 9 over but thats about right for the traffic back into town since theres a known speed trap in that stretch so I need to find a pace car or one of those radar speed signs that they use to slow you down by telling you how fast you are going . I also need to stretch her , legs a little more each run until I'm confident she's going to go the distance next weekend .The car may be the Bronze but I am the Night Rider .

PS she runs real smooth ,like glass at 60 so I really hope that is 60 because thats the magic number for hassle free highway cruisin up here, and all #s I posted are in miles the multiplier is 1.6 for kms so 10 over is 16 over for us really and most highways are post for 90 km which is 54 mph and 100km is 60 mph .

Thats great man, it sounds like its sound operational wise.

That being said, you really do need to up the line pressure and flow volume. (Line pressure at the least)
The line pressure is what keeps the clutches and bands holding, and if you can barely feel the shift I'm concererned about slipping. (mostly because of the non stock hp)
Go easy on it please until that can be addressed.

no it shifts quick but soft you barely feel it , theres no lurch or kick at all , took it out on the highway for a couple of miles out and a couple back , still not sure on the speedo , was doing 10 over in town by the speedo but some times the traffick moves that fast on that street when it's not rush hour and when the rd became the highway I held 60 in a 48 zone and everybody pulled away from me so I let them so I could run her up to a 100 one time real quick and believe me 60 to 100 happens real quick ,then when I used the off ramp to turn around and head back I merged at 57 and ran in the pack at that speed which is 9 over but thats about right for the traffic back into town since theres a known speed trap in that stretch so I need to find a pace car or one of those radar speed signs that they use to slow you down by telling you how fast you are going . I also need to stretch her , legs a little more each run until I'm confident she's going to go the distance next weekend .The car may be the Bronze but I am the Night Rider .

PS she runs real smooth ,like glass at 60 so I really hope that is 60 because thats the magic number for hassle free highway cruisin up here, and all #s I posted are in miles the multiplier is 1.6 for kms so 10 over is 16 over for us really and most highways are post for 90 km which is 54 mph and 100km is 60 mph .

Totally agree with Trailbeast. With that much power it most likely wont last real long shifting that smooth. Smooth shifts are for Granny's grocery getter or something you don't plan on running hard. Not saying you need to make it slam the gears, just needs to be firm. As for the speedo, do you have or know someone that has a GPS you can use to check the speedometer with? That's how I do them. It's more accurate than pacing with someone, and easier.

As for the speedo, do you have or know someone that has a GPS you can use to check the speedometer with? That's how I do them. It's more accurate than pacing with someone, and easier.

That's what I did.
Used it as a speedo on my dirtbike too.:D

well now you guys are scaring me , I have no Idea how to do the line pressure and this thing has to go at least to OldKimmer's where I want to pit stop and have someone who really knows this stuff like you guys do get into it and make sure it's going to survive the rest of the trip ,OldKimmer is 1466 km from me which is about 880 miles of highway driving into my 4500 km {2700 miles }each way road trip to Moparfest , maybe I should redo the front band adjustment at least to be sure it's right . 2 turns back from 72 inch lbs right ?I did the build last fall and it sat till I started putting it in here recently and I didn't use a torque wrench to do it just the small wrench snug technique .

It'll be fine as long as your not gassing on it hard a lot. In fact it'd probably last forever if you put a 2x4 under the gas pedal, LOL.. Torque and horsepower is what kills a stock trans. so if your just cruising your not putting much power to it. If your not sure about the band adjustment it may be a good idea to check it. Other than that I don't see why it wouldn't make it to Kim's. What ratio band lever does it have? That makes a diff. in the adjustment.

In fact it'd probably last forever if you put a 2x4 under the gas pedal, LOL..

Ha, that's good:D and so true.

Now, if you have not done it yet would be the perfect time for the spring mod.

It'll get that pressure up a little in the low and mid range and be a lot easier on friction materials till ya get back from the trip.

No full throttle pulls though, as hard as it may be. :)

I'm alrerady avoiding the heavy foot out of fear for the conversion joint and stock 904 front yoke so thats not really going to be an issue , except here in town where I may have already put that to the test eh :-\" , I am already using the spring mod and it has helped the shift firmness quite a bit so i guess I'm going to just have to go for it and let the chips fall , this is getting to be an annual thing last year I dropped the new motor in 4 days before leaving on my cross country adventure and this year it's the trans haha . Well kimmer I haven't heard back from you about my pit stop but I have your address and will be showing up probably on Monday the 13th :yawinkle: should I bring it to the shop or the house ?

I hear ya,
I did a rear main seal in my motorhome with a 454 2 days before a long drive and a five day campout for Thanksgiving.
Pulled the two piece driveline w/center carrier, pulled the trans, the flywheel, jacked the engine up, reached inside the pan and removed the oil pump, took the pan off and replaced the seal, then put her all back together in reverse order.
It was fun putting the pan back in place then reaching inside it without being able to see anything and seating the oil pump shaft and putting the pump back in. NOT
The pump and bolt were laying in the pan and I had about 3-4 inches to reach in there and bolt it back up and had to do all by feel.

ON THE GROUND IN MY GRAVEL DRIVEWAY!

Now when I think something mechanical I have to do sucks, I think back on that and I feel better.:D

I'm alrerady avoiding the heavy foot out of fear for the conversion joint and stock 904 front yoke so thats not really going to be an issue , except here in town where I may have already put that to the test eh :-\" , I am already using the spring mod and it has helped the shift firmness quite a bit so i guess I'm going to just have to go for it and let the chips fall , this is getting to be an annual thing last year I dropped the new motor in 4 days before leaving on my cross country adventure and this year it's the trans haha . Well kimmer I haven't heard back from you about my pit stop but I have your address and will be showing up probably on Monday the 13th :yawinkle: should I bring it to the shop or the house ?

yeah I did this hole deal in a 10 by 20 garage with the front end held up by blocks under the frame rails and have been pulling it out into my gravel drive to tinker with the adjustments , it is leaking a tiny bit of oil at the back of the motor somewhere but I'm just going to refill what ever it loses on the road ,it did the same thing last year and it turned out to be the passenger side valve cover was leaking a little at the back corner where it wasn't visible but would drip on the header and smoke when the car was stopped , I'm hoping its that again but either way it's not stopping me now haha

...........I'm 4 hrs from Calgary, u may be better off coming my way 1st i think than Moose Jaw, ur choice though, depending on how many days ur staying in Saskatchewan.....I'll message u my #s...............kim.............

...........I'm 4 hrs from Calgary, u may be better off coming my way 1st i think than Moose Jaw, ur choice though, depending on how many days ur staying in Saskatchewan.....I'll message u my #s...............kim.............

yeah I'm looking at going up through Drumheller and taking Ab 9-sk 7 into Kindersley , I just use Moosejaw as a travel time reference because I stopped there last year .

Well fellas just a little update , I just drove 5000km = 3000miles cross country and the fluid is still dark red in the trans , we tried to fix the linkage issues and got the cross member on her in at Kimmers place a big thanks to Kimmer and his buddy at Hard Candy Customs who loaned us a lift in his shop and refused to take any money from me , I guess some EBody guys are all right after all eh !lol not to mention his other friend Dale who offered his shop if we couldn't get on the lift {another EBody guy no less wow who knew } great people there on the flat lands , TrailBeast ypour mod worked great till about the mid point of the trip when the trans started shifting real late and hard at like 55+ mph so I pulled the spring off and she shifts soft at 35-40 mph oh well I just can't seem to find a happy medium on that deal yet , Kimmer was going to go through the valve body and do the line pressures for me but time was becoming an issue and she had already gone 1400k with out any change in the fluid colour so I figured it was best I get back on the road , he can build me a valve body I can swap in and you guys can walk me through it later this fall when I am ready to be without the car for a couple of weeks haha right now it's time to enjoy her some , Thanks for all your help guys you prove true Mopar guys are the best -Chris

Sounds like it's going well Chris. Glad to hear that. Strange how TB's mod worked good at first then changed. I doubt it was anything to do with the mod but something else in the VB, maybe a is valve hanging up? When Kim gets one built for ya it should solve all those issues.

yeah it seemed funny to me too but it shifts normal without the spring ,maybe I'll put it back on and see if it works again maybe some dirt was in it somwwhere

yeah it seemed funny to me too but it shifts normal without the spring ,maybe I'll put it back on and see if it works again maybe some dirt was in it somwwhere

Once there it should not have changed at all.
It is totally possible that something in the trans changed, but I can't imagine what it could be.
I fit has good shifts without it, you could just leave it off.
Or you could stretch it a little at a time and it will bring the shiftpoints and firmness down incrementally till you like it.

BTW, congratulations on a round trip.
I love round trips. :)

Once there it should not have changed at all.
It is totally possible that something in the trans changed, but I can't imagine what it could be.
I fit has good shifts without it, you could just leave it off.
Or you could stretch it a little at a time and it will bring the shiftpoints and firmness down incrementally till you like it.

BTW, congratulations on a round trip.
I love round trips. :)
maybe I'll play around with it some on the return trip first half down only 5000km to go

I need TrailBeast and fishy68 to PM me your names , mailing address and TShirt size I've got something for you guys

-
Back