904 first rebuild

-
GSX , I have no shop but if you removed it, I'd be glad to help you check it and reseal it. All my pals in the shops have retired or sold their shops and went into other fields.
It would be easy to look yours over and take care of things with you.
Tom

I live in KC north. I have a 66 barracuda with a 904 that has 33K miles on it, and works great, but leaks. Do you do transmission work or can refer me to someone in the area that can ?

A&A transmissions are the experts on torqueflight parts and rebuilds. If you’re planning on putting any sort of power into that trans a bolt in sprag from them is cheap insurance while you’re in there.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes going to be roughly 400 hp. So I will definitely check into it. Learning as I go but so appreciative for the help.

GSX , I have no shop but if you removed it, I'd be glad to help you check it and reseal it. All my pals in the shops have retired or sold their shops and went into other fields.
It would be easy to look yours over and take care of things with you.
Tom
thank you Tom. That would be a great help. I do most work myself. I have the complete front suspension tore apart for new bushings and ball joints right now. I can build engines, rebuild manual transmissions and most other repairs, but I have never worked on auto transmissions, and my experience with letting shops work on our classic mopars has not been a good one. I will pm you when I'm able to tackle the trans. Thanks again!

Last edited:
A&A transmissions are the experts on torqueflight parts and rebuilds. If you’re planning on putting any sort of power into that trans a bolt in sprag from them is cheap insurance while you’re in there.
No power adds. My car is a 33K mile survivor, and I want to keep it as original as I can. Thanks for your input!
IMAG0024.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Yes going to be roughly 400 hp. So I will definitely check into it. Learning as I go but so appreciative for the help.
The 904 and 727 are great transmissions to learn on. Buy the rebuild book on Amazon and there are some videos on YouTube as well. I did my first and so far only transmission rebuild last winter on my 727. It does leak but that’s 100% on me for not using new crush washers on the front pump. The kit came with them but I skimmed past the part about the washers being single use and my old ones “looked good” to me.

The 904 and 727 are great transmissions to learn on. Buy the rebuild book on Amazon and there are some videos on YouTube as well. I did my first and so far only transmission rebuild last winter on my 727. It does leak but that’s 100% on me for not using new crush washers on the front pump. The kit came with them but I skimmed past the part about the washers being single use and my old ones “looked good” to me.
Yep have the books. And found a great set of vids for reference.

-
Back