904 no speedo in housing

-

rlm2268

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a fully rollerized 904 with rev. man valve body, when I got the trans I noticed it does not have a hole in the tailshaft housing for a speedo,and looks like the housing has extra webing by the trans mount,
the spot where it would normally be is cast shut. Is this a newer housing?
What housings came with no hole? I didn't take it apart yet ,can I just replace the tailshaft housing with a different one?

Thank's

Are you sure theres no hole and its not just plugged ? Mine has a freeze plug blocking the hole.

No, the housing has never had a hole machined in it , it is cast shut .

Man I never seen one without a speedo hole either. It may be some one off race piece since it sounds like it's a built up trans. I would think you could replace it with one that has the hole.

Possibly a very late model piece with just an electronic speed sensor. I've not seen a 904 like that though, just the overdrives. It might possibly be off some one off run for another manufacturer or something.

this is a really big stretch for the answer but the navy used a 904 trans in the tow tractors for aircraft. It is a stretch but I dont remember them having speedo's. May be there is an old navy support equipment mech. on here that can answer that. Who knows maybe that tail is considered HD and someone got hold of one. Hmmmm dunno, maybe!

-
Back