904 torqueflite identification PLEASE ???

-

mopar66

Reaction score
can anybody PLEASE identify for me year/info on my 904 torqueflite transmision ..

stamped numbers on the base of the tranny by the pan are : 4028464 5484 0164
on bell housing some funky looking numbers : 036-9X
on tail piece / more funky numbers : 4 366 600 05305

looking to put this in a '66 cuda behind a rebuilt '318' .. need info for parts

thanks so much for the quick response ..
very helpful !

does anybody know of any booby-traps with this tranny ?? .. looking to add a shift kit / manual valve body to it .. will be behind a 300 HP '318'

I know that the 1967 and earlier has a small torque convertor hub that goes into the crankshaft. If you have a 1967 or earlier motor with the small crankshaft hole then you have a transmission with a big hub so check that out.

my motor is a 1978 '318' .. so it sounds like i should be OK ?

thanks again for the info .. i really appreciate your expertise and willingness to help

Not sure exactly when 904 transmissions went to a lock-up torque converter, may have been in 1978 or a little later. You can't swap converters between the older, "regular" ones and the lock-up versions. You can spot a lock-up transmission by a machined shaft at the tip. The splines do not go all the way to the end on a lock-up style transmission. Not sure how to I.D. a lock-up converter.

Be careful with OEM bands and clutches. 904s hold up very well with the right mods. There are "red" bands and/or clutches that are the favored versions, but I forgot the brand name. I don't get into them myself. A trans cooler is always a good idea, a deep pan & p/u and a 3.8 or 4.2 kickdown lever would be better than a smaller #/ratio. You can also get a 2.71 low gear from a later lock-up 904. Most, but not all, lock-up 904 will have a 2.71. But there is a certain combination of parts and clearances checked when swapping over.

Not trying to hijack the thread...How can you identify if a 904 is the one with the 2.71 low gear??? What would I need to do to a 904 to make it live behind 400 hp. I was just going to put a manual valve body, big cooler, and deep pan in a stocker built with quality parts.

Not trying to hijack the thread...How can you identify if a 904 is the one with the 2.71 low gear??? What would I need to do to a 904 to make it live behind 400 hp. I was just going to put a manual valve body, big cooler, and deep pan in a stocker built with quality parts.

This is a quote from a different forum member who knows torqueflites:

"The 2.74 1st gear set first came out in 1980 in certain models. 1981+ all 904, 998, 999's had the 2.74 1st and a 5 clutch wide front drum. Most were lock-up converters. John"

I read there is a physical way to confirm it when you get it apart, but don't know where to find that info.

Otherwise, just the basic info I mentioned earlier. I have JW Transmissions in Rockledge, FL do my 904's and I use Amsoil Supershift synthetic fluid. I've been getting several years out of them footbraking to mid-11's weighing over 3,540 lbs. But I'm not going to wait for one to go out before getting it rebuilt.

-
Back