904 trans - cable vs rod

-

dodgedave68

Reaction score
Ok - so can the 1964 bush button set up be installed on a newer 904?

I'd like to swap to a normal tailshaft/yoke system as I'll need to shorten the drive shaft due to the new 8.75 rear end replacing the old 7.25.

help

I remember seeing a ad for someone who was converting the push button set up and cable to work with the newer linkage style tranny. I'll see if I can find the info.

You could also put a later mainshaft and tail housing onto your earlier trans. (while you are at it, a later input shaft would make a lot of sense for converter selection).

I've never seen it done but that doesn't mean it can't be done or that someone hasn't spent 1000's of hours and dollars doing it. The question is.....why bother? The stock push button trannies are just as good as their later linkage counterparts if you build them correctly. The benefit you get with the early trans is that you can push start the car with them.....rear pump.....remember? I know, you don't like the ball and trunion U-joint. Well, there are conversion kits available to get rid of those. Check your local driveshaft rebuilder.

Didn't realize the rear pump lived on that far, thought it went away in like 62. Pretty sure the case didn't change. A friend and I tried to push start my 65 back in high school. Didn't work. Maybe the rear pump quit working well over 25 years ago.

-
Back