92' 360 wont fire.

-

RollercamDART

Reaction score
Well I went out today to fire up the Dart and get nothing but turning over. Well before this I had cleaned up all the wires in the engine bay and just figured I had crossed some of the spark-plug wires and screwed up the firing order. So I found top dead center, re-ran everything, and when turning the key to start it acts like its starting to fire but wont fully start. It has bright spark on the #1 cylinder, but just wont fully start. It will either turn over and kinda run while the engine is being turned over and die when you let off, or will just turn over and do nothing. Any help?

Check that you haven't left off a Bal resistor wire. Infact, seeing you worked on your engine compartment, there's no doubt something has come off or got placed back on wrong..recheck all your wire leads you can see. If it turns over no problem it sound like your ign start is fine, but your run wire is off the bal resistor killing power to the coil.

SORRY, I could be wrong (92) not that sure mate

Is this a true 92 engine? If so then the dist. must be referenced on the terminal in the dist. cap as the fireing comes from a crank trigger at the rear of the engine on the passenger side. There isnt any lead(adavance) as the old dist were, and the rotor must be on the terminal before it will work. The crank trigger makes the advance at the flywheel, and between the flywheel and the computer this is what fires the engine.

Well all the wires are correct, and I checked the firing order about 10 times today, and same thing. I pulled the number one plug and got great spark, the #4 plug and the spark was there but real weak. I honestly dont know, it did this to us when we first installed the engine and we ended up replacing the distributer and it started. But I looked at the cap and its starting to burn around the terminals, does this mean the wires are posing to much resistance? Could that be the whole problem? They are accel wires so they arnt top of the line, but I dunno its the weak spark on some cylinders that concerns me.

-
Back