98 obdII swap harness build

-
Would you be interested in converting my 98 Dakota V8 wiring harness to go into my 66 Plymouth Valaint?

Scott

Hey everyone I'm in a rut I need your guys help I'm attempting what's being discussed in this forum I have a 1994 ram 1500 and I did the Magnum V10 swap using the 98 engine computer and harness as well as the transmission 47re I've been studying every diagram possible for about a month now trying as many combinations as I can to get this thing running it starts runs for 3 seconds then shuts off immediately I had the j-tech module programmed and the skim removed security from the module what am I doing wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone I'm in a rut I need your guys help I'm attempting what's being discussed in this forum I have a 1994 ram 1500 and I did the Magnum V10 swap I've been studying every diagram possible for about a month now trying as many combinations as I can to get this thing running it starts runs for 3 seconds then shuts off immediately I had the j-tech module programmed and the skim removed security from the module what am I doing wrong
Start a new thread, and ask that question. You’ll get more help. First thing I’d do is monitor fuel pressure, making sure its consistent and ground the ecu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet the truck has the upgrade cabin control module (forget the name) and even though he removed the SKIM, when he plugged it back in it saw the SKIM message and turned it right back on. So his issue is a SKIM issue. Just my guess.

Post #52 in this thread might help?

Start a new thread, and ask that question. You’ll get more help. First thing I’d do is monitor fuel pressure, making sure its consistent and ground the ecu.
Okay great thanks for that information with fuel pressure guage connected I have between 40 and 50 PSIs as fuel pump energizes and primes maintains pressure during cranking have a electrical multi-circuit board feeding off my negative terminal to all my grounds that I'm aware of are you recommending that I ground the case of the PCM to the body also

I bet the truck has the upgrade cabin control module (forget the name) and even though he removed the SKIM, when he plugged it back in it saw the SKIM message and turned it right back on. So his issue is a SKIM issue. Just my guess.
Integrated power control module or overhead console power control module

Okay also in my 94 I have the baseline model based on my knowledge that truck would have no security protocols at all

Holy cow man that's some really good information thank you for that I've been looking for that answer now for a month now I have to figure out and be sure that I understand what he means by shorting those circuits I am aware of their locations I had originally tried what they're explaining but I only applied a power to it I didn't actually short the circuit

Okay also in my 94 I have the baseline model based on my knowledge that truck would have no security protocols at all

Still sounds like VTSS. I wonder if maybe whomever said they removed it didn't do it right, and it is looking for a signal from the CTM (I think that is right) and that is why you start and die. Try crossing the bus wires and see if it will run like I suggested in the post I link to.

My bet is that any Ram with a V10 had the upgraded (Highline) CTM and so the PCM is looking for the VTSS signal to know security is off. No message on the bus means security is still on so disable the vehicle. Your baseline CTM doesn't output the message so no VTSS signal.

Hey everyone I'm in a rut I need your guys help I'm attempting what's being discussed in this forum I have a 1994 ram 1500 and I did the Magnum V10 swap using the 98 engine computer and harness as well as the transmission 47re I've been studying every diagram possible for about a month now trying as many combinations as I can to get this thing running it starts runs for 3 seconds then shuts off immediately I had the j-tech module programmed and the skim removed security from the module what am I doing wrong
We don't post phone numbers or personal information directly on the site. (even if you tried to disguise it) Send it through a Personal message.

Holy cow man that's some really good information thank you for that I've been looking for that answer now for a month now I have to figure out and be sure that I understand what he means by shorting those circuits I am aware of their locations I had originally tried what they're explaining but I only applied a power to it I didn't actually short the circuit

The 2 bus wires (CCD I think?) is an early form of network communication like CANBus in the later cars. It has to have a completed circuit with other modules and resistors and by joining the wires it "crashes" the network.

Still sounds like VTSS. I wonder if maybe whomever said they removed it didn't do it right, and it is looking for a signal from the CTM (I think that is right) and that is why you start and die. Try crossing the bus wires and see if it will run like I suggested in the post I link to.

My bet is that any Ram with a V10 had the upgraded (Highline) CTM and so the PCM is looking for the VTSS signal to know security is off. No message on the bus means security is still on so disable the vehicle. Your baseline CTM doesn't output the message so no VTSS signal.
Okay I'm heading out there now to try it I'm going to go back through the schematics I had to run away from the truck South Florida rainstorm every 30 minutes
We don't post phone numbers or personal information directly on the site. (even if you tried to disguise it) Send it through a Personal message.
Desperation had me thinking irrational

The 2 bus wires (CCD I think?) is an early form of network communication like CANBus in the later cars. It has to have a completed circuit with other modules and resistors and by joining the wires it "crashes" the network.
Okay by crashes are we talking allowing the system to run in a limo mode state or we talking frying my pcm

-
Back