A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Really nice! I'm enjoying the build. Love the intake manifold.

Alex, you are doing such a nice job on all aspects of the car.
It's clear you are a paint freak! Admit it.... :D

Another puzzle piece arrived. Thanks Guys! Yes...self admitted certified paint fool! Intake is going to powder coater today....lil' Hemi Orange powder coat is needed! DD....Clear???? Did you say Clear??? .....I think I have a gallon of Clear or two!!! LOL ..... SPI Universal Clear, yep that's what I have!

IMG_3043 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3044 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I finished welding in the drivers side sub frame connector yesterday and last night. I will be welding in the front US Car & Tool support next. Pics...of course later today.

IMG_3016 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Alex

Wow! This car is going to be awesome! The more I watch this thread, the more I want to paint mine the same color.

Thanks Physhy!

Cam arrived. Product Description:

Voodoo Solid Roller Cam. Good cam for high performance street or mild strip applications. Needs 2500-3000 RPM stall converter or 4-speed transmission, headers, 9.5:1+ compression ratio and 3.73+ gearing. Rough idle.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 267/273
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 237/243
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .566/.578
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
RPM Range: 2500-6600

IMG_3048 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

^ Thanks Richard.

So the US Car & Tool frame rail connector/radiator support just did not fit right on my 74' Duster. It was close but not what I was wanting. I called them and asked if they had any clues what could be wrong or possibly did I get sent the wrong piece? Sent them pics of the gaps and explained how it did not sit tight and flush. They said it was the right one but they made it to fit on a Dart. So...time to jump on the Fab train. I did not want the position of the hood latch/grill support to change so I cut into the US Car & Tool piece to fit over it. It also did not fit correctly where the support brace goes from the K member to the underside of the OEM radiator support...so a lil' relieving there too. There are 1/8" gaps in the front where the OEM radiator support needs to be padded out so the new piece will fit tight against the front, so I'll weld in some 2 x 1/8" steel. The corners were too wide too, so I had to break the weld and as it gets welded in I'll clamp in the corners to fit and then weld them back. Hard to explain...but a Picture is worth a thousand words. More pics as I go.
IMG_3016 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3051 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3052 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3053 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

The space ship command station lunar power braking capsule is going back to the seller. We decided it was wrecking the look of what is going on. A standard Mopar power brake booster will take its place.

This arrived today:

26172020786_8a9fc150e1_b.jpg
IMG_3050 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Looks good Alex, If you want power brakes you may need to look into a hydroboost unit. The cam you have will not give you very much vacuum, so you will have a one hit and done as far as hitting the brakes. Just a thought.

Thanks Jaws...yes that crossed my mind about the Cam and vacuum. Cool, I'll look at the hydroboost.

Finished the welding of the frame connector/radiator support. Lil' filler. Welds aren't gonna win any "pretty contest" but they are solid and I had plans on filling the holes anyways.

IMG_3064 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3063 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3068 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Super reinforcements! FYI Alex, that triangular speed square is a carpenters tool, reserved for barbarians and hillbillys like me. What is a master mechanic such as yourself doing messing with that thing? All the rocket scientists use a tri square lol.... View attachment image-3718875863.jpg

^ LOL! I am no master mechanic...I was a tile contractor for 25 years, that's where that speed square comes from. Done my fair share of framing in showers, building shower curbs. Whatever it takes to get it done...is my way of doing things.

No more "Engine procrastination" Loaded up the standard bore 360, taking it in for the machine work in the morning!

IMG_3070 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3071 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

bet they want the pistons to get the bore set? So whens the BBQ to put the motor together?:D:burnout:

Looks good Alex, If you want power brakes you may need to look into a hydroboost unit. The cam you have will not give you very much vacuum, so you will have a one hit and done as far as hitting the brakes. Just a thought.

yep, lucky to get ten inches of vacuum, you could also look into running a vacuum pump.
higgs

Well today was the day, block dropped off at Ridge Reamer for prep, .030 over...and all the good stuff. 3-4 weeks was the estimate.
Jim from Hydratech called to talk about their Hydroboost power brake system, very interesting.

IMG_3073 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Keep up the excellent work Alex...Wish it would warm up here in Michigan, I am ready to got mine road ready. Its all cleaned up ready to roll.

-
Back