A body 8 3/4 axle length

-

furz4

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to finishing the 8 3/4 rear for my dart and am trying to determine the correct length axles. I want to use the standard tapered axle bearings so I need to be pretty close on the length. I have an 8 3/4 housing narrowed to 51.4". I am going to shorten and re-spline the axles and use the wider brakes. The axles are 2 1/4" from bearing flange to end of axle flange or 1/4 more then standard small bolt a body. I installed the center section and measured to the centering block and I came up with 25" on one side and about 24 3/4 on the other. It looks to me like I would need 24 7/8 + 2 1/4 =27 3/8" axles. My worry is getting a precise enough measurement to use the standard bearings as I don't know how much I can take up with the adjuster and don't want to be too long. I had thought I could narrow the thrust block if too wide and if I end up too narrow go to the green bearings I guess. Anybody have any good ideas on this. Thanks.

Your rear is shortened to the wrong length if you want a factory size A rear.

You must have looked at that POS chart that's floating around the web. You're not the first to shorten to that length.

Here's a listing with the correct lengths
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

I wanted to end up with the same width as the 8 1/4 rear ends to get the correct width for the wider brakes. Is 51.4 the stock width for an A body 8 1/4?

I wanted to end up with the same width as the 8 1/4 rear ends to get the correct width for the wider brakes. Is 51.4 the stock width for an A body 8 1/4?
51.4 acording to the link posted above
What I do when figuring the axle lenght with
stock bearings:
Get a friend , 2 pieces of wire coat hanger or 2 pieces of lenghts of all thread
stick one in on each side of the housing until it engages the trust block or pins have friend push the pieces of all thread untill the trust is completly taken up on one side and then push back same way mark the allthread from the housing flange measure the travled distance subtract that will put the block in the middle position and allow for the brakes to ride in the drum evenly ,with stockbearings make sure the adjuster is in the middle of its adjustment when you measure the axle lenght you need~

Did I understand the question right..does this make sense?
Add the travled distance than divide

Yes that makes sense. It looks like the adjuster will go from about 2 1/8 to just a bit over 2 1/4 I'll get out the caliper and get a more accurate measure. I had this done standard offset so both axles will be the same length. I can see now why alot of people just pull the block and use the greens.

Yes that makes sense. It looks like the adjuster will go from about 2 1/8 to just a bit over 2 1/4 I'll get out the caliper and get a more accurate measure. I had this done standard offset so both axles will be the same length. I can see now why alot of people just pull the block and use the greens.
I belive the adjuster will go a full 1/4, on the greens you measure from the bearing step inside the housing
same process for spline depth, suregrips have to be more precise opens engage much sooner, on a side note:
I realy like the work moser does with my axles they cut the splines nice and long with the taper at the End
Last work I hade don Was fantastic as usual from them~

I am finally getting around to finishing the 8 3/4 rear for my dart and am trying to determine the correct length axles. I want to use the standard tapered axle bearings so I need to be pretty close on the length. I have an 8 3/4 housing narrowed to 51.4". I am going to shorten and re-spline the axles and use the wider brakes. The axles are 2 1/4" from bearing flange to end of axle flange or 1/4 more then standard small bolt a body. I installed the center section and measured to the centering block and I came up with 25" on one side and about 24 3/4 on the other. It looks to me like I would need 24 7/8 + 2 1/4 =27 3/8" axles. My worry is getting a precise enough measurement to use the standard bearings as I don't know how much I can take up with the adjuster and don't want to be too long. I had thought I could narrow the thrust block if too wide and if I end up too narrow go to the green bearings I guess. Anybody have any good ideas on this. Thanks.
Where can you get your axles resplined

-
Back