A-Body Round #2- My '76 Scamp restore...

-
Well, I made it to the Hot Rod Power Tour today, mostly without incident. The last 3 miles to get in was way backed up and apparently my fan decided to blow it's fuse, so the radiator ended up puking. Waited half an hour or so and it cooled down enough to limp it the rest of the way there. The way home was no problem since I was able to keep moving. I did get another fuse and it blew immediately, so need to track down that issue.

I can't count how many people in line offered help- truly a nice bunch!

20240610_114645.jpg
20240610_124848.jpg

Got my catch can in UPS today and installed it. Should take care of the oil mist I was getting out of the valve cover.
20240610_211611.jpg

Finally got around to trimming the old piece of trunk carpet to go around the battery box and the added electrical component plate... looks much better! Undecided if I want to make some kind of cover to go over the electrical plate or not.

20240628_211445.jpg

Successful 282 mile trip up to Ohio to see my parents in the Scamp today. Seems like I must have done a decent job on the project since it made it!

Only real issue so far in probably the 7 or 800 miles since getting it running has been that the 30A fuse for the fan has blown twice... did it when waiting in line to get into the Hot Rod Power Tour in BG a few weeks ago... replaced the fuse and it has worked perfectly for several hundred miles... and then today it blew again about halfway through the trip... not sure what's going on with that yet but will figure it out- at least I know now to carry spares...

Probably hang out a couple days and then head back...

20240703_190421.jpg

when the fan initially 'kicks in' it's likely to be drawing more than 30a at that moment. i've always run a 40a fuse for any decent sized electric fan and not blown a fuse yet.
neil.

Cool. That was going to be my next attempt. The instructions that came with it said to use a 30, but it obviously isn't holding up so I'll try popping a 40 in before I head back home and see if it lives.

Found a nice shady spot at a local car show near my folks' place and spent several hours catching up with a close friend I hadn't seen in person for almost 5 years... Great day! My buddy won a trophy with his 53 Ford Pickup- I took a big L! Lol

741791529.jpg

-
Back