[Found!] A-body SBP 8 3/4 brake backing plates

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I’m slowly getting my 8 3/4 housing put together and I’m on the hunt for backing plates. I’m planing on keeping it small bolt pattern for the time being since I already have the small bolt axles. So I’m looking for whatever would have came on a 68 Dart 8 3/4.

The more complete the better but some bare ones would work. Hell, if someone has a full complete drum setup for one these, that would be awesome.

drum brakes are different than disc brake cars. 2 1/2 shoes vs 1 3/4 shoes
Definitely good to know.. I’m not worried about it being OE.. I believe summit keeps the narrower version of the drums in SBP.. 72-older. Which ever I can buy brake parts for and keep the small pattern

I have 2 complete sets thst I’ll drag out and picture for you on Saturday, I won’t be able to get to them until then. You can take your choice of either set.

I have 2 complete sets thst I’ll drag out and picture for you on Saturday, I won’t be able to get to them until then. You can take your choice of either set.
Thanks!! I may already have a lead on some but if that falls through, I’ll drop ya a message

4 wheel drum brakes have 2 1/2 shoes on all 4 wheels. Disc brake has 1 3/4 shoes on the rear.
Please note that I see 70 Dart Swinger engine bay photos with drum brake master cylinders on them even though every 70 340 car has disc brakes on the front, standard! This is why people are unfamiliar with cars that they have purchased with these items on them.

I’ve only had a few drum/drum A bodies and all small bolt and all 1 3/4 rear brakes. I am in Canada so that may make a difference. I had a few disc cars also and all had 10x1 3/4 rear brakes. Never seen 2 1/2 rear brakes with small bolt pattern. Maybe u can post a few pics of the 68-72 A bodies u talk about @j061093409

Last edited:
I’ve only had a few drum/drum A bodies and all small bolt and all 1 3/4 rear brakes. I am in Canada so that may make a difference. I had a few disc cars also and all had 10x1 3/4 rear brakes. Ever seen 2 1/2 rear brakes with small bolt pattern. Maybe u can post a few pics of the 68-72 A bodies u talk about j061093409
I agree . I also have had and still do have some examples of both disc and 4 wheel drum cars and all have the 10 x 1 3/4 rear shoes. Now the rear wheel cylinders are different between 4 wheel drum as opposed to front disc with rear drum optioned cars. I am located in Canada also but don't think that would make any difference. Maybe I'm wrong but likewise never seen any A body 8 3/4 small bolt rear end with 2 1/2 shoes.

I stand corrected! I am getting old! Parts book states the same! I must be thinking of the 6 cyl cars that I stripped in the last 7 years!

I have several sets of backing plates for small bolt pattern

-
Back