Not open for further replies.

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a trailer hitch. Prefer the ones that came from the dealership back in the day.
I have a 1974 Duster, just in case someone needs the info.
(picture for reference):
towing.jpg

Not sure the dealer ever had a kit back then, there were instructions on how to make one in the back of the 67 Barracuda Owners Manual.

Alan

As far as i know the factory never offered a hitch even as an accessory (at least not till recent years).
Unless it has 4 points of contact to the frame rails I wouldn't trust it to tow more than a jet ski.

Alan

Back in the day they were all just bolted to the bumper and through the spare tire well in the trunk like that. I installed a few of them. I think they were rated at 2000 lbs and 200 lbs tongue weight. When I got this cuda, it had one welded to the frame in two places on each side. I had to cut the rear ones off to mount my exhaust hangers.

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

Back in the day they were all just bolted to the bumper and through the spare tire well in the trunk like that. I installed a few of them. I think they were rated at 2000 lbs and 200 lbs tongue weight. When I got this cuda, it had one welded to the frame in two places on each side. I had to cut the rear ones off to mount my exhaust hangers.

View attachment 1715184058

View attachment 1715184059
Whereas that may be true they were not a factory or dealer option.
I stand by my comment, 4 points of frame contact to be of any use.

Alan

The towing package did not include a hitch assembly, odd as that sounds.

Alan

The towing package did not include a hitch assembly, odd as that sounds.

Alan
duster hitch.png
This is a 1974 Duster hitch. I used it to tow a 15 foot speed boat with my 1974 360 Duster, back in the 70's. It installs in the place of the license plate bracket. 2000 lb. max weight, 200 lb. max tongue weight
Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back