A body with New Challenger Wheels

-
I wonder what would happen if some one rigged up a dial indicator to wheel and tire on a car that has "proper" bolt pattern. Would a run out check confirm that it was perfectly true. Would you stop driving that car if it was .7mm off, which means .35 on each side of the tire? Are your tires and wheels perfectly round?

I doubt that any tire has ever worn perfectly, thats why we get them balanced.

This is just to illustrate how little .35 mm really matters especially on something that turns (depending on tire size) less than 1000 rpm at 70 mph.

Also I disagree with the fact that it wont center it self. Especially if you use hubcentric spacers and start with a low torque setting first and work your way up.

First of all, the challenger wheels look like **** on an old muscle car. Too big and fugly. The biggest wheel's I'd run are 17's. Second, the challenger wheels are NOT the correct bolt pattern...

Also I disagree with the fact that it wont center it self. Especially if you use hubcentric spacers and start with a low torque setting first and work your way up.

If the wheels were hub centric, I agree that the wheel wouldn't shift.

the challenger wheels are NOT the correct bolt pattern...

Based on published info or hands on experience?

I've looked at plenty of information that states the bolt pattern is 115mm (which I agree is not correct for an early car), but my contention is that the published bolt pattern is not accurate. I've physically checked the bolt pattern on 2 different wheels and neither matched the 115mm bolt pattern. On the other hand, both fit a 4.5" bolt pattern gauge. In addition, the junkyard interchange manual shows the bolt pattern as 4.5", not 115mm.

I'm convinced that the bolt pattern got rounded up to 115mm and published at some point in time, and the same incorrect info has continued to be re-published again and again.

If you don't agree, then do what I did and go down to your local yard (preferably a bigger one), ask them to grab a wheel for an LX (300, Magnum, Charger) or LC (Challenger) and borrow their bolt pattern gauge and check the bolt pattern of the wheel. They should have all of that handy. Then ask them what their interchange manual says the bolt pattern is. Please report back, especially if you find that I am wrong. Oh, and make sure you check to see if the 115mm does not fit, and 114.3mm (4.5") does.

No comment on whether or not they look right.

mustang wheels..

attachment.php

It will center in the bolt circle and so you are talking the width of 2.5 human hairs off per stud. Plus as mentioned the LX wheels are actually 5x4.5. So hate them for looks or whatever else you want, but they certainly fit, and so will 5x115.

-
Back