A/C delete issues! I need some help!

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I'm trying to delete my A/c system on my 318 and I have the crank pulley, the alternator bracket and the water pump pulley. It seems like the alternator bracket wont fit right at all. the lower jaw piece seems to stick out way further then it should. Is an A/C water pump gonna cause this? would my bracket and alternator line up right where they should if I was using a non-A/C water pump?

Also, does it matter than I am using my A/C alternator with the 2 groove pulley? I didnt think it would as the groove closest to the alternator looks to be the same distance as one with one groove.

Please take pic's & post them for us. My 73 W/318 has A/C deleted. If it will help, I'll take pic's & post them for you.

I'm trying to delete my A/c system on my 318 and I have the crank pulley, the alternator bracket and the water pump pulley. It seems like the alternator bracket wont fit right at all. the lower jaw piece seems to stick out way further then it should. Is an A/C water pump gonna cause this? would my bracket and alternator line up right where they should if I was using a non-A/C water pump?

Also, does it matter than I am using my A/C alternator with the 2 groove pulley? I didnt think it would as the groove closest to the alternator looks to be the same distance as one with one groove.

What year 318 are yoo working on? Cast iron or aluninum water pump? Did the system originally run two belts? You might need a different water pump pully.

How about some pictures?

I hear ppl saying a different altanator bracket but heres my experiance which is limited to one car on the a/c subject.
Back in the 80's I had a 72 satillite 318 with a/c but I wanted to run my 6 pack so I unbolted the a/c and tied it off to the side and used a different belt and it all lined up.I had the double pullys and everything was stock.When I removed the 6 pack I put the a/c back on and it all went back together.So if there is a differance that car didnt have a problem.BTW I'll be watching this thread as Im putting that 6 pack on my dart and it has factory air.

DSC00449.jpg
DSC00451.jpg
Mine has 2 belts 1 for alt & 1 for P/s. Pictures on the way.
DSC00452.jpg

first, it does not matter if you are using a single or double groove alternator. second, your triangle alternator bracket must be flat and goes inside the alt mounting boss, i think the AC bracket has a bend ,while the lower adjusting bracket goes outside the upper bracket. i have never heard of an AC specific water pump, it is only the pulleys and brackets that change. i believe with the correct brackets, you can use the AC pulleys and double groove alt. i just get new pulleys. also with the lower two groove pulley, you need the upper (2 3/4" deep) pulley. you also need the 5/8" thick spacer between the block and the alt. hope this helps

Attachments

• 318.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 3181.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 3182.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 3183.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 3184.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 438
thats a strange set up. my P/S runs off the outside crank pulley. it looks like you are using the AC top pulley.
I agree. But it works great with no slip or squeal. And they're not even adjusted very tight which is easy on the bearings. This is the best steering I've ever had on a Mopar too. No Play in the box and It practically drives itself. Drove all over yesterday to get My 2 appraisals for the Indemnity Bond. What a blast. Oil pressure at 50 Psi, Temp at 180 in this NC heat. Sorry to Jack the thread a bit But I'm just so stoked to be able to Cruise around in My baby.:glasses7:

OwdKasd's bracket is not exactly optimum. Compare that to the second one posted by 73AbodEE

The first one could be improved by either making a simple add on strap between the alternator bolt and the next pump below the bracket, or welding a little section to that bracket.

The factory bracket has TWO bolts at the water pump, forming a triangle which cannot move. The first one, with only one bolt, can move vertically, putting stress on the unsupported alternator bolt.

So far as I know, there is only two ways around this problem. Either fabricate a solution using the original AC stuff, or go to a junkyard, etc, and find ALL the pulleys and hardware that fit a non- AC car.

You'll need crank and pump pulleys, and the right crank pulley will depend on whether you have PS

You'll need the belt tensioner, spacer, and the triangle piece in the second photo.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 428
  • bracket2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 448
I've seen owdkasd's set up before and looking at it the rear is mounted solid so I didn't think it can move but notice his top mounting bolt is vertical to the lower ie:sitting on top of the alt. where 73abodee's is snugged up close to the water pump and appears to mount to the head if I'm seeing that right.I have one triangle mount that bolts to the head like OWDKASD and the front mounts to the a/c bracket.
Also the a/c belts do not run on the fan pully so owd's is the correct belt routing as far as my pictures show how mine is set up.This is intriguing.

We'll have to wait for the OP to chime back in and see what we can do to help him. I'm not sure that mine is correct but it does work well. Now If I was to run it up to 7'000 Rpm's maybe a belt would fly off or something but it seems fine for my situation.

the PS runs off the outside crank pulley groove on every factory non-AC set-up i have ever seen. this 318 is an original 1967 non-air engine out of a 67 coronet. the alternator and fan pulley have always ran on the same belt on the inside crank pulley groove, that I have seen.

We'll have to wait for the OP to chime back in and see what we can do to help him. I'm not sure that mine is correct but it does work well. Now If I was to run it up to 7'000 Rpm's maybe a belt would fly off or something but it seems fine for my situation.

if it works, thats all that matters. i have had to rig these to work in the past because i had no parts that worked together without some ingenuity

man those pics are huge when they are side by side LOL got me all twisted up hehe

Here is my setup.The way I got the car.

Attachments

• SAM_0663 (Custom).JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 439
Ok I just went and looked at my 72 cuda non a/c,all number matching so its factory,which is the only non a/c mopar I have ever owned.It is like 73abodees setup so the non a/c cars power steering runs on the crank only while the a/c cars pump runs on the fan and crank.funny I never noticed that before.As far as bypassing the a/c getting the alt moved back far enuff to miss the water pump is the key.Like OWDs arch bracket,which looks like a truck piece to me or older bracket.Without buying alot to convert it over unless you are wanting a factory look

if it works, thats all that matters. i have had to rig these to work in the past because i had no parts that worked together without some ingenuity

man those pics are huge when they are side by side LOL got me all twisted up hehe
Right on. And don't forget Belts come in all sizes so you can use short belts to power one accessory or longer belts to power multiple accessories. Ingenuity is the key or find a Junk yard donor and do it exactly like the factory did it. When I used to Run a Goodyear store, We had a giant wall of belts. Guys would come in and experiment until they got it just right. I always felt that one belt for each accesory was best when "rigging" it up.

Ok I just went and looked at my 72 cuda non a/c,all number matching so its factory,which is the only non a/c mopar I have ever owned.It is like 73abodees setup so the non a/c cars power steering runs on the crank only while the a/c cars pump runs on the fan and crank.funny I never noticed that before.As far as bypassing the a/c getting the alt moved back far enuff to miss the water pump is the key.Like OWDs arch bracket,which looks like a truck piece to me or older bracket.Without buying alot to convert it over unless you are wanting a factory look
My setup would not work if the Alternator had just the single pulley. The belt would rub the Water pump if the inner most pulley was used. I think one bracket on mine is from a Farmall tractor. LOL That's why my Mopar is a very Rare one of a Kind.

My setup would not work if the Alternator had just the single pulley. The belt would rub the Water pump if the inner most pulley was used. I think one bracket on mine is from a Farmall tractor. LOL That's why my Mopar is a very Rare one of a Kind.
Yeah the OP said he had the double pully alt so you would have the have it to run under the water pump.The more I think about my old satellite the more I think I ran it under the alt. with no issues but that was 25 or so years ago.Hey atleast it wasn't a ford tractor.

As the OP does, I also have the pwr str pump sharing a belt with the water pump (short alum pulley), with the alternator on its own inner crank groove. This was the only way I could get things aligned on my 65 273 after I switched to the later alum w.p. and Federal p.s. pump. Sounds like that was factory for 72+ non-AC small blocks. Perhaps I am lucky, since my crank damper and pulley are the original 65 and may differ from 72+ cars.

Re belts, you can download a catalog (Dayco or Goodyear, I recall) that lists the dimensions of every V-belt available and PN. Once you determine the size needed, type the PN into ebay and voila. I got several belts that way. I am trying the green Goodyear Gator something belts with the slanted grooves, but might be hype.

the PS runs off the outside crank pulley groove on every factory non-AC set-up i have ever seen. this 318 is an original 1967 non-air engine out of a 67 coronet. the alternator and fan pulley have always ran on the same belt on the inside crank pulley groove, that I have seen.

I guess this answers my question to whether componets were moved around when the cast iron water pump was replaced with the aluminum pump wih the hose connection on the opposite side.

All you guys deleting the A C , wish I could of found a factory 340 A C Dart ! Would be nice on those 90deg 78% humidity days

shooooot , i cant count the A/C compressors ive ditched, SB and BB
A C was a rare option up north here in Canada back in the 60's and 70's . Guess down south it was a necessity , so ordered more often , like heaters up here .
Why do you take them out ? Just build with mOre HP !

A C was a rare option up north here in Canada back in the 60's and 70's . Guess down south it was a necessity , so ordered more often , like heaters up here .
Why do you take them out ? Just build with mOre HP !

LOL, more because they are completely ugly and rob horsepower lol

i never liked the look of them AC units on an otherwise beautiful looking 440

-
Back