A little cam tech for those interested

-
I watched Isky Straighten a cam years ago, and couldn’t believe how he did it. The cam was mountsed in V blocks similar to that, with a dial indicator, and he would roll it over, check the dial, then whack it with a BFH in specific places. It was great watching a master at work.

I watched Isky Straighten a cam years ago, and couldn’t believe how he did it. The cam was mountsed in V blocks similar to that, with a dial indicator, and he would roll it over, check the dial, then whack it with a BFH in specific places. It was great watching a master at work.

My street racing buddies and I flew down to Florida around 1978-1979. One year Daytona beach and one year Fort Lauderdale. My buddy was looking at a National dragster and said hey let’s see if we can tour Crane Cams. So we called and set up a tour the next day. Towards the end of the tour there was a little old lady running pushrods between her finger with two dial
Indicators and smacking pushrods with a hammer straightening them. The next year I bend on at the track and told my buddy I got this. I roll it down my duster front fender and marked a spot then smacked it with a hammer on my open trailer. Took three attempts but worked like a charm.

I have seen shops straighten cranks like that also. A wack or two of a mallet.

The guy at Powell Machine was the first video I saw on straightening a camshaft. I had no idea it could be done like this. Pretty darn cool.

The guy at Powell Machine was the first video I saw on straightening a camshaft. I had no idea it could be done like this. Pretty darn cool.

I had a couple roller cams that I was going to send to Jim at Racer Brown that were damaged to see if he could cut them. He wanted me to check to see if they were bent. I bought two sets of v blocks and have checked lift but never did check runout of those cams yet.

I had a couple roller cams that I was going to send to Jim at Racer Brown that were damaged to see if he could cut them. He wanted me to check to see if they were bent. I bought two sets of v blocks and have checked lift but never did check runout of those cams yet.
If you still have them you could make that a winter project, since it’s fresh on your mind now.

I believe it. You have previously mentioned the pile of heads you have on deck. That alone is a ton of work, and no way that’s all of it.

Ya I gotta finish my new set of heads, build my Indy 360-1 engine (422)and I want to work on those heads, pull the heads on my current 408 and put this better set on, hopefully some body work on my duster from my sons wreck, one or two powerglide rebuilds, I gotta port several intakes already for customers, plus get two knees replaced. And hopefully some LS heads.

Ya I gotta finish my new set of heads, build my Indy 360-1 engine (422)and I want to work on those heads, pull the heads on my current 408 and put this better set on, hopefully some body work on my duster from my sons wreck, one or two powerglide rebuilds, I gotta port several intakes already for customers, plus get two knees replaced. And hopefully some LS heads.
A 422 360-1 package should bring a huge grin to one's face!

A 422 360-1 package should bring a huge grin to one's face!

Ran exactly the same as my Edelbrock headed 408 (5.98@113mph) but the 422 had a .660 solid lifter cam, and my 408 has a .660 roller cam and a little more compression.

Last edited:
Another thing. I would not trust that the base circle is measurable with a micrometer.

That Daniel Powell who IS Powell machine is a great no nonsense type of a guy. I really enjoy his information on his video's. He is my kind of guy for sure !

-
Back