A little help?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I have a 73 duster and I finally got the turn signals working! The exclamation mark comes from me not having turn signals since I've had it for 5 years. Well now that the signals work I want to put those little markers that I bought at the Swap Meet several years ago up on my front fenders. I went to the Body & Trim section of the forum and only found one guy asking the question three years ago and never got an answer LOL If I can get someone to post a picture or a measurement of where those go? It would be nice at that point if this got transferred to the body and trim section and then someone could look it up at some point and go- "oh right there".
And for me anywhere in the ballpark is relatively close as I would normally tell people to put them where you like them. I think I'd like them to be relatively close to where they would have came from the factory.
Thank you for anybody and everybody's time and help if you get a chance, thank you.

This help? '74 Duster

DSCN1191.JPG

DSCN1192.JPG

DSCN1193.JPG

I suspect he might be asking about the top mounts fender signals that were chrome most years except for ‘71 or ‘72?

No LOL I mean those little blinker markers up on top of the fender? I said on the fender and I guess I meant on "top" of the fender. My bad...
oh... LOL yeah, "markers on the fenders" meant side markers to me :) Oh well.

I suspect he might be asking about the top mounts fender signals that were chrome most years except for ‘71 or ‘72?
yeah I got the little Chrome ones and I just checked them out one was working and one was not. Just changed the bulb no big deal. I just need to drill a hole and connect the wire. I don't have the correct screws that go in there. Nice of them not to include those for the 40 or $50 they want for them. Of course I didn't pay that much I got a package deal together. Bought them from a local parts shyster years ago before I knew who he was.

We do have respectable Parts sellers hear that if they're asking full price or over price for something like that they would make sure they are cleaned up, have good working light bulbs, and have the proper Hardware.

Well crap I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a special screw or not it almost looks as if it's supposed to be some kind of machine screw that goes into it? Seems to me it would just be a normal screw that went through it and into the sheet metal fender?

drill a 3/8 hole in there and us a hardened grade 8 bolt with a lock washer and she ain't going nowhere.…. :D

Well crap I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a special screw or not it almost looks as if it's supposed to be some kind of machine screw that goes into it? Seems to me it would just be a normal screw that went through it and into the sheet metal fender?

Hey Jason.
If yours indicators have the screw that goes in from the top they are just sheet metal screws with a tapered seat and slight oval head.
I can get you the measurements off my car in a bit here.
There is going to be two holes for each light. (one for the screw and one for the wire)

The other type (like the Wife's 72 Swinger) have one hole in the fender and a nut that goes on from the underside of the fender.

Ok, the type that has the screw in the top holding it to the fender.
6-5/16 back from the front of the fender metal itself.
2-7/16 from the center of the ridge on the outer edge of the fender.

That's where the screw holes are, so the wire hole you can figure out from there.

I would suggest to get a chrome or stainless screw that fits the indicator nicely first, then drill your hole for that screw.
The important part of those screws is the head and how it fits the indicator itself.
What thread type is not as important.
Also note that they get their ground through the fender metal, so you may have to scrape a bit of paint off where the copper contacts on the bottom of the fixtures meet the fender.

Last edited:
drill a 3/8 hole in there and us a hardened grade 8 bolt with a lock washer and she ain't going nowhere.…. :D
I didn't want to slap you with the big disagreed button there but they're the kind that trail Beast is describing with the screw that goes to the top with a little hole and a big hole. Before I pull out my half inch drill bit and go for it, I'm hoping for a ballpark spot... LOL

I didn't want to slap you with the big disagreed button there but they're the kind that trail Beast is describing with the screw that goes to the top with a little hole and a big hole. Before I pull out my half inch drill bit and go for it, I'm hoping for a ballpark spot... LOL

I edited my post above with the measurements.

fine...…….. gorilla glue
:D
P.S. - disagree's don't hurt; I've been "hit" (but not slapped) by them before. No pain whatsoever :)

Hey Jason.
If yours indicators have the screw that goes in from the top they are just sheet metal screws with a tapered seat and slight oval head.
I can get you the measurements off my car in a bit here.
There is going to be two holes for each light. (one for the screw and one for the wire)

The other type (like the Wife's 72 Swinger) have one hole in the fender and a nut that goes on from the underside of the fender.

Ok, the type that has the screw in the top holding it to the fender.
6-5/16 back from the front of the fender metal itself.
2-7/16 from the center of the ridge on the outer edge of the fender.

That's where the screw holes are, so the wire hole you can figure out from there.

I would suggest to get a chrome or stainless screw that fits the indicator nicely first, then drill your hole for that screw.
The important part of those screws is the head and how it fits the indicator itself.
What thread type is not as important.
Also note that they get their ground through the fender metal, so you may have to scrape a bit of paint off where the copper contacts on the bottom of the fixtures meet the fender.
thank you for grabbing those measurements for me I'll get to work on that here in a little bit. And a big huge 10-4 on got the paint scraped already LOL...
IMG_20181003_081641.jpg

I wonder if all stock harnesses had a provision for this or will I have to tap into the wires?

I wonder if all stock harnesses had a provision for this or will I have to tap into the wires?

My 73 Dart has a long wire coming off the front harness for the marker/signal wires, so I doubt the ones that didn't have the indicators on the fender had that long wire unless they had the indicators.
It's easy though, as you just tie into the signal wire on each side.

(The fender side markers only come on with the parking and headlights, so you can't use those wires)

Now if we can get one of the mediators or monitors or who ever those people are to flip this over to the Body & Trim? It may be somewhat helpful to somebody someday.,.

If I remember and nobody beats me to it, I'll measure my dart when I get home and post it.

That said, you DID pull the instrument module and take the indicators out now that you have them on the fenders, right? That's what the factory did.

Now if we can get one of the mediators or monitors or who ever those people are to flip this over to the Body & Trim? It may be somewhat helpful to somebody someday.,.

I put in a request for just that with one of the mods.

If I remember and nobody beats me to it, I'll measure my dart when I get home and post it.

That said, you DID pull the instrument module and take the indicators out now that you have them on the fenders, right? That's what the factory did.

Not on my car they didn't, and it came from the factory with the indicators on the fenders.
I don't mind the extra notification that a signal is on. :D

I think I'll leave them on in the dash also as I don't think I can see the one on my right side with the Dual quads sticking up in the way.
EDIT::thumbsup:

I think I'll leave them on in the dash also as I don't think I can see the one on my right side with the Dual quads sticking up in the way.
EDIT::thumbsup:

Now if only you could rig up a complicated system of mirrors and prisms so you could see the fuel miser light in the passenger side fender indicator from the driver seat.....

I now kinda want to install the fuel miser light just so I can block it from view with a high rise dual quad.

this post is too funny,
I spliced connectors in at the bulkhead for the directional signal outputs. fishing the wires through the hood is sooo muchhhhh fun!!!!:BangHead:

this post is too funny,
I spliced connectors in at the bulkhead for the directional signal outputs. fishing the wires through the hood is sooo muchhhhh fun!!!!:BangHead:
fishing wires through my head would be quite easy I would think with a massive hole at the center of it LOL I don't get it though you put the markers in the hood?
Edit, I said head LOL I'm leaving it!

-
Back