A question and an ask SBM 318

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I got a question, and an ask. So I finally got my block back from the machine shop. Guy had it awhile, he did a good job on everything, was super reasonable doing this as a friend of mine. I am aware what this work costs, I was charged half the going rate. I gave him my brass core plug kit to install water jacket core plugs, and told him not to install the oil gallery plugs so I can do one more final cleaning. So I checked and have all the threaded in plugs, and only one 19/32" push in plug. It's been well over a year since I dropped the block off.

Am I correct in the fact that theres 2 of these pressed in at the front for the lifter oiling bores?

I am also missing the 2 in the back of the block. Those are 1&5/8" he claimed they were different size. I will go back there monday and ask if he has 2 of em in that size.

The 3rd question involves the press in plug that goes in the back of the block under the main cap, and separates the oil gallery passages by the oil filter. What size is that one? Is it also a 19/32" plug? If it's not, does anybody have one they can spare?

Thanks
Matt

I forget the plug size of the oil passage separator rod the oil pump. I’m sure it’s in a book somewhere.

Are these the two plugs your interested in?
Engine upside down on a stand…. Sorry.

image.jpg

I got a question, and an ask. So I finally got my block back from the machine shop. Guy had it awhile, he did a good job on everything, was super reasonable doing this as a friend of mine. I am aware what this work costs, I was charged half the going rate. I gave him my brass core plug kit to install water jacket core plugs, and told him not to install the oil gallery plugs so I can do one more final cleaning. So I checked and have all the threaded in plugs, and only one 19/32" push in plug. It's been well over a year since I dropped the block off.

Am I correct in the fact that theres 2 of these pressed in at the front for the lifter oiling bores?

I am also missing the 2 in the back of the block. Those are 1&5/8" he claimed they were different size. I will go back there monday and ask if he has 2 of em in that size.

The 3rd question involves the press in plug that goes in the back of the block under the main cap, and separates the oil gallery passages by the oil filter. What size is that one? Is it also a 19/32" plug? If it's not, does anybody have one they can spare?

Thanks
Matt

I can't comment on each individual part but from what it sounds like this kit should have everything you need and save you a lot of dicking around.

DODGE Melling MPE-613BR Melling Freeze Plugs | Summit Racing

The leftover parts could come in handy, and don't cost much or take up much room in your toolbox.

I'm thinking thatIf your mate saved you a ton of cash by machining your block at half price, and it was over a year ago that you first dropped it off, he may not be thrilled to go searching for bits and bobs for it once it has already left the shop.

My advice would be to say thanks and not run the possibility of bothering him about any very small inexpensive missing consumables that can be replaced with little more than pocket change. Just my 2c. :thumbsup:

Matt, pretty sure I have the plug for the rear main. What's the dimensions?
Shoot me a PM I may have other tidbits you need as well.

Hi Steve, I'm not sure of its dimensions since its waaaay up inside the block. From my quick and dirty research it appears it's a 9/16" plug. With a flashlight I can see the shoulder. But cannot get a caliper on it. The blueprint drawing has a PN. Probably $30 from the dealer lol. it looks like that one plug doesnt come in the kits. Can you check its dimension?

Frosty the punk,
Mark is a good friend. He has a bunch of this stuff kicking around his shop. As I stated I dropped it off a little over a year ago, paid it in advance, and told him whenever you get it done. No rush. I stop by to visit after work and talk about stuff. Never badger him about my engine. Asking him about the bigger core plugs is not a big deal.

Rumble, I have only 1 of those front plugs. I think it was stamped 19/32" I still need the second one.

Last edited:
The kits dont seem to come with this one plug. It's apparently 9/16". I have heard people say they dont remove it when rebuilding the engine. Why not? When you gun brush it out, you dont want any crud left behind. My dads 360 I knocked this plug out, and his core plug kit came with a new one. That was 23 years ago though.

upload_2022-5-1_9-10-24.png

Hey Matt, I have an OEM plug from dealer, came in with other stuff.
I'll dig and chk for it. Yours if it works for you.
Any other tidbits you need?
Hi Steve, I'm not sure of its dimensions since its waaaay up inside the block. From my quick and dirty research it appears it's a 9/16" plug. With a flashlight I can see the shoulder. But cannot get a caliper on it. The blueprint drawing has a PN. Probably $30 from the dealer lol. it looks like that one plug doesnt come in the kits. Can you check its dimension?

Frosty the punk,
Mark is a good friend. He has a bunch of this stuff kicking around his shop. As I stated I dropped it off a little over a year ago, paid it in advance, and told him whenever you get it done. No rush. I stop by to visit after work and talk about stuff. Never badger him about my engine. Asking him about the bigger core plugs is not a big deal.

Rumble, I have only 1 of those front plugs. I think it was stamped 19/32" I still need the second one.

Thank you to everybody who replied. I need one plug that's 19/32" for the front. I already have one of these, only need a second one, and one that's 9/16" for the oil gallery up above the rear main cap. I am going to try Napa and see what they have first. My machinest is going to see what he has in the brass 1&5/8" plugs. I will keep everybody informed.

Thanks
Matt

I’ve said this so many times it’s now gone full on retard.

You do NOT need the gallery plugs behind the cam plate. I’m old enough to have taken apart so many small blocks I cant count them and NOT ONE had those stupid plugs in them. Not one.

Just like the stupid bolt with the hole in it and the drip tray, it’s just more shot that guys mentally masturbate over for no reason.

Make sure the plug is in the gallery that is under the main cap and move on.

You are wasting time putting plugs in those holes.

That plug behind the cam plate has always been there when I take them apart.

That plug behind the cam plate has always been there when I take them apart.

Were they virgins or had someone been in there?

I’ve never pulled apart a virgin that had them.

IMO they are a waste of time. The OP could have the front of the engine together by now if he would have just moved on.

I can say in all my build since 1980 I have never used core plugs there. Not once.

But I never used the stupid bolt with the hole in it or the drip tray either.

I’ve never pulled apart a virgin that had them.

IMO they are a waste of time. The OP could have the front of the engine together by now if he would have just moved on.

I can say in all my build since 1980 I have never used core plugs there. Not once.

I dont move as quick as you. My wife works weekends when I am off work which leaves me a household to run along with an autistic kid that consumes a lot of my time. I may have this together in 6 months if I am lucky. On the off chance I get time, theres always other **** that's more pressing that has to get done. I'm glad you have the time to actually assemble a short block in an afternoon. You must not be married with kids, one being special needs and get any distractions.

As far as I know, yes, very dirty and some one car owner vehicles.
I’ve never pulled apart a virgin that had them

Now that I got the plugs issue straightened out, I am going to doll this teener up like a 69 340. I bought duplicolor chrysler blue enamel, but it's got that ceramic in it, and doesnt really shine on the samples I painted, and appears to be the wrong color. I decided to go with VHT engine enamel, however weren't the early 340s the turquoise green? Car is going to be red, I dont want the engine to be red too. Detroit diesel green appears as a close match to Chrysler turquoise. Anybody here have a better idea than using the detroit diesel green? I can get it at oreillys right here.

Matt, chk duplicolor out. Looks like the DD and mopar turquoise are both avail and slightly different shade?
I'm using Ford Red on my build lol. It was closest color to the orig MP Red.
Engine Enamel with Ceramic™ – Duplicolor
Now that I got the plugs issue straightened out, I am going to doll this teener up like a 69 340. I bought duplicolor chrysler blue enamel, but it's got that ceramic in it, and doesnt really shine on the samples I painted, and appears to be the wrong color. I decided to go with VHT engine enamel, however weren't the early 340s the turquoise green? Car is going to be red, I dont want the engine to be red too. Detroit diesel green appears as a close match to Chrysler turquoise. Anybody here have a better idea than using the detroit diesel green? I can get it at oreillys right here.

Duplicolor sucks IMHO. They have that ceramic built in, and you cannot get a shine out of it. Not like the engine paint of the old days. I am not happy with duplicolor results. I have a whole bunch of it I'd be willing to send you for the price of the shipping that's how much I cant stand the results from it.

Married. Kid. Three dogs. Older in laws we take care of plus my elderly parents.

My point was you spent an incredible amount of time on those two core plugs that you don’t even need.

I’ll say it again, you don’t need the plugs in there and you don’t need the bolt with the hole in it or the drip tray or the oil slinger. None of that.

Since you are bounds and determined to use the plug, put a .040 hole in it and a .040 hole in the cam retaining plate where it covers the oil gallery.

That will get you pressurized oil to the timing set. That’s what I’d do, except I’d leave the plug out and just drill hole in the plate and send it.

At minute 41, the cam plate is removed. I don't see plugs in the two oil galley passage holes. Some people put plugs in these holes behind the cam plate. Did the factory use plugs there? If not, is there any reason to plug those two holes? Thank you.

Married. Kid. Three dogs. Older in laws we take care of plus my elderly parents.

My point was you spent an incredible amount of time on those two core plugs that you don’t even need.

I’ll say it again, you don’t need the plugs in there and you don’t need the bolt with the hole in it or the drip tray or the oil slinger. None of that.

Since you are bounds and determined to use the plug, put a .040 hole in it and a .040 hole in the cam retaining plate where it covers the oil gallery.

That will get you pressurized oil to the timing set. That’s what I’d do, except I’d leave the plug out and just drill hole in the plate and send it.
And honestly I cleaned it all up, oiled everything, and wrapped it in a fresh new trash bag. Its sitting in the corner of the shop now. I do not have the time or the mental capacity to deal with this uninterrupted right now. This may also be the reason my 07 mustang GT has been sitting unstarted, unused under a cover sitting on 4 flat spotted tires for the last 5 years in my garage. I walk past it daily and ignore it. I honestly just dont want to deal with it. The amount of B.S. I have to put up with in my life lately has been too much. I honestly dont know how I keep going. The latest was the 2015 Impala LT I bought my wife with only 17k on the clock. My 16 year old with mental health issues steals it and wrecks it. I have not even made a payment on it yet, plus my 10 year old with Aspergers and ADHD is at a 7 year old level mentally, and will now have to be homeschooled. Ya, I got enough on my plate. Life isnt really grand for me right now.

Last edited:
At minute 41, the cam plate is removed. I don't see plugs in the two oil galley passage holes. Some people put plugs in these holes behind the cam plate. Did the factory use plugs there? If not, is there any reason to plug those two holes? Thank you.

You really don't need them. The retainer plate blocks them off. No sealer so there may be a little seepage there because of no gasket or seal. If your pumo and bearings are in good shape it might not be an issue.

-
Back