a833od from b-van to duster?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
anyone ever put a a833od from a 80's b-van into a Duster?, I just scored a FREE a833od from a B-van, I would like to put it in my son's 74 Duster, slant six, we have the slant bell already, I know the shifter linkage and tail shaft are different, what problems will we encounter? different length of drive shaft I suspect, what cross member would we need?, it's got a a904 now, I know we will need the floor hump, I'm not worried about that, it currently has a 7 1/4 diff but when we do the swap it will get either a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 I have a 8 1/4 avail now but am holding out for the 8 3/4 for a bit, I have the a body shifter/boot to

The B/C/E body / van / pickup 4 speed is the same length as a 727, and takes the same crossmember as a 904.

The PROBLEM is the shifter mount pad. If you search around, someone made an adapter to move the shifter pad, but I think it might have required some floor / crossmember chopping I don't remember

My advise? Sell it and put the money towards an A body gearbox

Also, out of a van, it might be an OD gearbox. Is that what you want? Get the box in neutral. Rotate the front shift shaft CLOCKwise which puts it into (4 speed) 3rd gear or (OD box) the OD gear

Now rotate the front shaft 1 exact turn while watching the tail

LESS than 1 full turn at the tail means a "regular" 4 speed

MORE than 1 full turn means an OD box.

OD boxes have the front shift lever pointing down, but someone could have bolted it on there incorrectly

I think in the title he's already said it's an overdrive transmission. The 8 1/4 is more than enough for a slant 6.

Thanks guys, that is the info I was looking for!, yes it is a a833OD, yes this is the trans I want, I know its not as strong as the cast iron one, I have one of those to, but my other son runs the OD one in his small block pick up that he has ran pretty hard and it has been awesome, plus you get the mileage on the freeway to boot, we are only putting it behind a mildly built slant anyway,as for selling and finding a a833 a body trans, you all know how hard those are to find that aren't a small fortune, he is on a budget so this one will work just fine, I have a nice shop and all the tools, equipment, and skills to build that adapter plate, what a great drawing to, guess I will need the "a" body shifter rods though?, I know they are available from Brewers if we cant find good used ones, thanks for the help!

-
Back