A904-Need feedback on RUMBLING IN "D" gear

-

jayyzf

Reaction score
1971 Dodge Dart Slant 6 with A904 tranny. Just purchased vehicle and FINALLY got it running. Go to test drive so vehicle shifts in reverse strong and smooth. Shift to "D" gear to go forward and noticed that vehicle BARELY goes. Also there is a severe RUMBLING throughout the entire vehicle (Not safe to drive). Vehicle had been sitting for a couple of years and found out problem was there and previous owner replaced TRANS filter & gasket to TRY to fix problem. Please tell me what you think. Am purchasing a used unit regardless, removed from a good running/driving vehicle that has been sitting for a couple of years. Could not pass up do to PRICE from a great "A bodies" member. THANKS

Change the torque converter and flush the fluid cooler when you change the trans. You don't want contaminates from a bad trans entering a good replacement.

Sounds like a direct clutch slip/shudder.

Yea, fairly serious as a far as being usable the way it is.
It needs a rebuild.

Sounds like a direct clutch slip/shudder.

Yea, fairly serious as a far as being usable the way it is.
It needs a rebuild.
no. direct clutch is for 3rd and reverse. pull the shifter into manual low and see what happens.

no. direct clutch is for 3rd and reverse. pull the shifter into manual low and see what happens.

We'll call it the rear clutch then.
Wrong reference for a 904.
Same result.

We'll call it the rear clutch then.
Wrong reference for a 904.
Same result.
thats better. but it could also be the sprag. thats why i asked to try manual low. if its the same then, its the rear(or forward clutch).;)

thats better. but it could also be the sprag. thats why i asked to try manual low. if its the same then, its the rear(or forward clutch).;)

My point was that it all results in the same solution, as it isn't anything that can be remedied in the car or without tearing it down.

Thanks guys for all the feedback! Will let you know what happens

-
Back