About To Just Give Up!!!

-

Mopar Sam

Well Fed Member
Reaction score
Ok, I hope someone can help. I have ordered 2 Precision #347 u-joints from O'reilley's, The conversion ujoints with 7260 size on one side and 7290 on the other. The specs say the small side should be 2.125 from outside of the clip to outside of clip. Both of these Precision brand are 2.25 outside clip to outside clip. Definitely a no go.

I have never had this problem before. Rock auto lists a Moog 347 with the correct specs on their site, has anyone used the Moog brand? Or any other brands? Part#s? thanks if you can help.

I am so close to getting this old sweptline driveable again, but all of this order and wait, for the wrong part, has got me ready to just quit!!!

This is just one of many parts that haven't been right this week.

Ok, I hope someone can help. I have ordered 2 Precision #347 u-joints from O'reilley's, The conversion ujoints with 7260 size on one side and 7290 on the other. The specs say the small side should be 2.125 from outside of the clip to outside of clip. Both of these Precision brand are 2.25 outside clip to outside clip. Definitely a no go.

I have never had this problem before. Rock auto lists a Moog 347 with the correct specs on their site, has anyone used the Moog brand? Or any other brands? Part#s? thanks if you can help.

I am so close to getting this old sweptline driveable again, but all of this order and wait, for the wrong part, has got me ready to just quit!!!

This is just one of many parts that haven't been right this week.
I have used Moog U-joints and they were correct to size. To tell the truth, I'd have to research to see what you joints I'm even using in what vehicle (I knew at the time of the project. I have some u-joints that cross over but I don't think I had the 7260/7290 before. But I'll do some research to see what I did and what I have. Best of luck, Sam!

When I worked in CarQuest in the late 80s, their # was 527 too bad they were bought out by advance.

Ok, so I ordered my yoke and U-joints through Denny's Driveshaft. The driveshaft was ordered through Shaftmaster out of Michigan.
I Think Denny's Driveshaft had about any u-joint you'd want, and they shipped fast to me. I know my Driveshaft was 1330 on each end, and the yoke i bought was also. But, I used an adapting u-joint in the rear, but cannot find the number. IF I learn more, I let you know. Again, I have some adapting u-joints - by Moog, Spicer, and Neapco I believe.
* EDIT - Mine are different size

Last edited:
A 347 U joint should be a standardized number that uses that Precision/ Moog numbering system. That is, "non Spicer." If it doesn't meet spec, it is probably a rebranded/ renumbered item that is mis-boxed, or just plain mis boxed

Maybe someone had them "out on the counter" and mixed them up

I bought the Dr Diff u joint lately. I don't remember what brand they supplied. Here were their specs:

Hard to find combination U-joint mates a small 7260 Mopar driveshaft to a large 7290 Mopar yoke.

PLEASE CHECK THESE DIMENSIONS TO MAKE SURE THIS IS THE PART YOU NEED!

7260 U-joint dimensions: 1.078" cap diameter x 3.250" overall width

7290 U-joint dimensions: 1.125" cap diameter with grooves x 3.625" overall width

It seems after talking to SMCARNUT on the phone, that the snap ring grooves are machined out too far on the caps, or like was mentioned they have the wrong caps on the 7260 sides. The diameter is correct though. Thanks to all who have reached out or answered in this thread. I am going to try to get a real moog joint.

Yes that is what I need.

One thing I did not mention, on the first 347 I got, when I returned it, I had them grab a 315g off the shelf. It is O'reilley's 7260 joint. It had the grooves spaced right at 2.125 outside to out side.

Maybe I should go get a 315g and put its caps on this and see what's what.

IIRC the needles are about the same size as your difference. What if an errant needle is stuck in the cup?
I know; all four? what are the chances?

yes, I checked that when the first one wouldn't work.

Well Sam it sounds like you have a constipation problem. And that's no crap.
But have a Merry Christmas anyway.

Found this picture. The side that is supposed to fit where it says 2 1/8'' is 2 1/4'' on my ujoints. Must have just got wrong parts in the right boxes.

1703392271859.png

A 347 U joint should be a standardized number that uses that Precision/ Moog numbering system. That is, "non Spicer." If it doesn't meet spec, it is probably a rebranded/ renumbered item that is mis-boxed, or just plain mis boxed

Maybe someone had them "out on the counter" and mixed them up

I think this has to be the problem.

Just went through a similar situation, out of dimension u-joints. I had to put the u-joints in a vise to get the cap to cap dimension. The joints had a plastic dust cover instead of rubber and cap just didn't want to go all the way on by squeezing with my fingers. May not be your issue, just throwing this out there.

Just went through a similar situation, out of dimension u-joints. I had to put the u-joints in a vise to get the cap to cap dimension. The joints had a plastic dust cover instead of rubber and cap just didn't want to go all the way on by squeezing with my fingers. May not be your issue, just throwing this out there.

I tried putting it into a press and giving it a nudge. they didn't budge at all. I may just give it another try.

I got one coming from Napa, but who knows if it will work. Hopefully it will be a real Moog instead of Precision.

I have had problems with Precision u joints more than I can count. I will not use them again

Well, the Napa one is just like the Precision, probably just reboxed.

I think I will just have to swap my old 3.55s back in.

347 sounds like the number I used on mine. I bought them (moog) from rock auto and they were way cheaper than anywhere else. Fit great.

-
Back