ABS Headliner update

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I installed the ABS headliner this afternoon, start to finish 3 hours. Now that was with no help and to be honest I don't think I would want any. I took the advice from someone here and hung a small piece of wire down from the center light and used a 2 foot wood dowel with a couple thick bound up rags on each end as not to ruin the liner. That was the best helper I could have asked for. Someone asked about the clips that go on the sides!! don't bother until your done. My process was sun visors first, then dome light leave all screws loose. The only thing I didn't like was they give you holes for everything BUT the rear view mirror, that would have been handy.
The other tip is don't worry about if you need to drill a hole into the headliner the covering will not rip. I drilled out larger holes in the liner where the mirror went which made it easier to find the holes when installing. The other thing is you might have to trim the liner at each corner by the pillers seemed a bit big.
Hope this helps future members.
AL

the only thing you forgot was pictures...so the rest of us considering this could see the end result?

i will post some pics of mine on this thread tomorrow. mine didn't fit under the w/s gaskets though. i'm gonna try to work this out though.

Mine fit under the window rubbers by a good 1 inch each end. I will post some pics later tonight.
It really was a easy install, figured it to be pain in *** by myself but the dowel reallt made things easy.
AL

This is some good info for me. I'm just about ready to install my headliner. I really like the wire and dowel idea. Thanks. But, a couple of pictures would have been nice. Thanks again.

are these headliners covered with something,are are they were plastic so i can sand,prime,an base clear these?Since my car is all custom,id really like to paint one like the rest of my car.

The headliner I got has a black washable padded covering but I have heard of guy's getting just the plain ABS but I think it is only if you want to cover it yourself. The headliner is cut on each front corner to allow it to come down on the piller a few inches, so if you wanted to pain it it would look like crap unless you had an idea to hide the cuts.
As for the dowel make sure you pad it very well as not to ruin the fabric.
I will try to get some pics on Sat I just tried but they didn't turn out very well to dark.
AL

This is a great post. I will be doing mine later this year I hope. Looking forward to the pics.
C

Thanks for this post! I'll be buying a new headliner for my Duster and I'll be getting ABS because the cardboard one wouldn't last too long with the climate here in BC (on the coast). Legendary says there quality is "fair". What do you think of it?

I did not get mine from Legendary. I got it from Acme Auto Headlining Co.
http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/gallery/main.php
68postcar where did you buy yours from?
This one fit great I could almost say it was a bit to big.
If you purchase one keep in mind it does not come with the sail panels, they are $70 extra. That pissed me off because if you bought one with the bows, you would get that material. My package shelf and sail panels are rough so I recovered them in a black vinyl which should look pretty sexy when done. I have them glueing up now and should have them in tomorrow.
If anyone is ready to install shoot me an email and I will give you a bit more detail on what to trim.
AL

ram, how much was it purchasing from Acme?
C

C because I am in Canada I ordered it through NOS Reproductions up here so I think that it will be cheaper for you being in the States. I paid $372. It shows it as being 72-76-ABS shell headliner, covered, black tier.
Part number# AFH34.
AL

Pictures would be great if you can. I want to order one up for my 74 duster and it has sholder belts which will require the holes in the headliner since they attach up there.

Guys I am really sorry I tried many times to take pics but they are not turning out, all I get is black..old camera.
Rumble they have the holes for the seatbelt bolts in them. On my Demon the two retaining clips just slid on over the liner.
AL

ram i have the same problem. i'm gonna try the flash and see what that does for me on the pics. mine came from legendary. the entire heeadliner is abs with no pad or cover. it came in gray with a rawhide finish almost identical to the factory hardboard one. i scuffed it lightly with a scotch brite pad (red if i mind right), and used sem's interior vinyl paint. pics to follow.

ram i have the same problem. i'm gonna try the flash and see what that does for me on the pics. mine came from legendary. the entire heeadliner is abs with no pad or cover. it came in gray with a rawhide finish almost identical to the factory hardboard one. i scuffed it lightly with a scotch brite pad (red if i mind right), and used sem's interior vinyl paint. pics to follow.
I'm thinking of doing my headliner also. Pics of the install would be great.

the flash shows some stuff that i hadn't noticed before but you get the drift.sorry.

4 10 08 004.jpg

4 10 08 005.jpg

I was hopping for it to look nicer. Is it dirty or off colored? Fit don't look to good ether. Better than nothing at all I guess. Good job on the install.

i went back through my resto pics to find these. so it has grimey kid prints all over it(mine). you need to get it out of the box so it flattens back out. i want to try another one soon, so i can get it all in pics, so i can share.

-
Back