Ace Hardware

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I went to my local Ace Hardware to buy some plastic sheeting for my windows. Did sears buy them out? They had signs up all over the windows that they now carry Craftsmans tools and it was a new addition.

Summit racing also now sells Craftsman tools. I think it's the only thing Sears makes money on anymore.

K-mart here also now sells Craftsman tools, along with Kenmore appliances.

Yes,Ace hardware has Craftsman tools,and a couple of Snap on.Out here on the left coast.

I didn't see snap on. be nice to buy at a good price.

The ACE that was here sold craftsman tools. They went tits up and I cleaned up on tools at 75% off. Sorry that the ACE went out of business, they were actually a pretty useful place.
K-Mart has sold craftsman and kenmore sine the sale a couple of years ago. I still think Sears has better deals on tools though.

Fair price,Cliff.Looks like they had holes to fill in inventory they didn't make Ace stuff.

Just got email from Costco they are carrying Craftsman tools too.

That's right. KMart bought Sears out right after the Martha Stewart fiasco and KMart filed for bankruptcy. Yeah. Didn't make sense. They filed for bankruptcy and almost immediately bought Sears out. I tell you what I think you're fixin to see. When I first started seeing Craftsman tools in other places besides Sears and KMart I told Kitty, "they will both be GONE before long." They will simply allow Craftsman to continue since it is so wound up in the racing scene. Craftsman will live. Sears and KMart will die.

As mentioned already, the same corporation owns both Kmart and Sears.

And they're both pretty much on the verge of bankruptcy. While Craftsman is a part of Sears, its kind of a separate arm of the company.

So why are Ace and Summit and other places selling Craftsman tools? My guess would be that Craftsman is going to be a separate company in the near future, when Kmart and Sears declare bankruptcy. Sears will go away, Craftsman will continue. Adding retailers will allow Craftsman to live on without Sears if it comes to that, and in the meantime directs some revenue back into Sears.

*edit*

StrokerScamp and I must have been typing at the same time :D

As mentioned already, the same corporation owns both Kmart and Sears.

And they're both pretty much on the verge of bankruptcy. While Craftsman is a part of Sears, its kind of a separate arm of the company.

So why are Ace and Summit and other places selling Craftsman tools? My guess would be that Craftsman is going to be a separate company in the near future, when Kmart and Sears declare bankruptcy. Sears will go away, Craftsman will continue. Adding retailers will allow Craftsman to live on without Sears if it comes to that, and in the meantime directs some revenue back into Sears.

*edit*

StrokerScamp and I must have been typing at the same time :D

It does happen. lol Great minds and all that........

I hate to see Sears and K-mart go, but their management is running them into the ground. When I go to K-mart near me, the stores are not clean and well presented. They opened up a Super K near me 10 years ago. It used to be packed with customers. Now I can go in there and roll bowling balls down the isles and not hit anyone. Sad. The Super Walmart near me is packed with customers and kept clean and orderly. K-mart needs to benchmark what Walmart is doing if they want to survive or Walmart is going to put them out of business.

Craftsman needs to get their act together also. They do not know how to package their tools properly. Who the f&ck wants to buy a wratchet and socket set in 12 point??? I want six point, but they do not package a set that way. Their 150 - 300 piece sets have more 12 points than 6 points. Not to mention that they will have two 14mm sockets in the set and no 13mm. WTF?? I don't have time to buy and inventory their 300 piece set to see what tools they doubled up on and which ones are missing. That is their job in packaging. They are obviously using a vision system to read the marking on the sockets and it is not properly capable or not set up properly. This is easy to fix!!! There are many bar code systems and laser systems capable of reading this stuff accurately and packaging them correctly if they buy the right systems and program them properly (which includes debugging them for errors). I've worked with these systems, not hard to do.

Hopefully, they will get it together or they will be packing it up....

....their tools were once made in USA, too. In fact, YEARS ago, they were made by Snap On and rebranded Craftsman. A lot of people don't know that, but it's a fact.

....their tools were once made in USA, too. In fact, YEARS ago, they were made by Snap On and rebranded Craftsman. A lot of people don't know that, but it's a fact.

Yeah, but they started making them cheaply in the 80's and hurt their reputation.

Nothing sucks more than breaking your tool in middle of the job and having to go exchange it (especially if your only transportation is the one you are working on and can't run till you finish)...

Yeah, but they started making them cheaply in the 80's and hurt their reputation.

Nothing sucks more than breaking your tool in middle of the job and having to go exchange it (especially if your only transportation is the one you are working on and can't run till you finish)...

Yes, and I hear more and more stories from friends where Sears is trying harder and harder to squirm out from under the hand tool warranty. ....and I have a friend who thinks I am crazy because I buy Snap On.

Don't blame you a bit Stroker,if you cheap tools,after a while you learn to feel the difference.

I've been a mechanic since 1974......and although I've been disabled a number of years I never got out of the habit of buying good tools.

I'm not so sure Sears is dead yet. If they stay in Illinois they will be. If they get out they might survive.

Well I will start looking for another job. I work as a Sears Contractor.

Wouldn't be a dumb move.......but might not happen. Remember, KENMORE is just as big a name as Craftsman. I think the brand will live on......and probably your service job. Remember when Kenmore was the ONLY brand Sears sold? Imagine an economy where all you need to sell is your own brand stuff that nobody else has copyright on. Cool. Kenmore ranks right at the top for appliances. They always have. All you gotta do is read Consumer Reports. Their stuff is routinely on top of the review pile. I cannot imagine that any savvy business person would let Kenmore die. That would be stupid indeed.

-
Back